Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac to receive new naming structure.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-14, 11:57 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Exactly.
Old 10-01-14, 02:06 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In general, though, I'm more concerned with the vehicle myself than what it is called. One does not drive a name...they drive a vehicle. They could call it XYZ for all I care...if I like the vehicle, I'll buy it. And look at the enormous success of the Pontiac GTO in the 60s....the forerunner of all the mid-sized performance cars of that era.
That's what Ford thought when the changed the Taurus to Five Hundred. MMarshall--you of all people should know that "car" folks do not think the same way as most people. Is ATS, CTS, XTS, __TS bad or confusing? Change for the sake of change is silly.
Old 10-01-14, 02:09 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Around here all Cadillac dealers are lumped in with Chevrolet, Buick and GMC. What Cadillac still has not done around here is seperate themselves from their there brands.

Lexus, Acura, Infiniti on the other hand have successfully distanced themselves from their standard brands. When a new buyer goes into a Lexus dealer to buy their shiny new Lexus NX, they do not see Toyotas sitting under the same roof or parking lot. Can't say that for the Cadillac SRX owner.
It was easier for the Japanese brand to do this, because it was a requirement for dealers to get the brands when they were new in the late '80s. When you have Caddy dealers that have been selling for decades, it's hard to suddenly make them have a separate showroom. Not every dealer will have the land or facilities to construct a totally separate showroom.

In fact, the GM bankruptcy was probably the opportunity for many Caddy dealers to go solo. My local Caddy dealer used to be a showroom for Cadillac, Oldsmobile (dumped before the bankruptcy, of course), Saab and Hummer. Now--just Caddy.
Old 10-01-14, 02:12 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I believe for there to be a lawsuit over names, it has to be exactly the same name. One letter or number off does not qualify. Or at least that's what the law once backed up. CT-6 is not the same as CT.
Old 10-01-14, 02:18 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I believe for there to be a lawsuit over names, it has to be exactly the same name. One letter or number off does not qualify. Or at least that's what the law once backed up. CT-6 is not the same as CT.
It doesn't have to be exact. It needs to be close enough to cause customer confusion.
Old 10-01-14, 05:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Interesting that the Escalade name will live on.
i didn't get that from the article.

... the New York bound luxury brand will rely on the ‘XT’ prefix for current and future utility models.
while the headline mentioned the srx, i don't think that means the escalade won't receive the same treatment.
Old 10-01-14, 06:55 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Cadillac will rename SRX and introduce two new utilities to lineup

Source: Autos.ca

Interesting that the Escalade name will live on.

Speaking of trademark infringement, I remember the "XT" as one flavour of the IBM PC desktop personal computer from 30 years ago.
It appears bitkahuna was correct in that Cadillac will rename their SUV line-up with "XT"... weird how they won't change the Escalade name into an "XT"...
Old 10-01-14, 07:03 PM
Trexus

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Toyota pays money to trademark the CT name. I remember BMW challenged Infiniti with the "M" moniker...

Personally I think Cadillac should leave the current designations alone and focus on making better cars and expanding their line-up...oh and change the Escalade name to be in line with the rest of the line-up...ATS, CTS, XTS, ELR, XLR, SRX...may be change Escalade to ESX...if you were to rescramble ESX it could be SEX...

Last edited by Trexus; 10-01-14 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-02-14, 07:08 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Cadillac S E X sounds great to me
Old 10-02-14, 08:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trexus
It appears bitkahuna was correct in that Cadillac will rename their SUV line-up with "XT"...
thanks. even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

weird how they won't change the Escalade name into an "XT"...
still not seeing that they won't in what's been written.
Old 10-02-14, 09:26 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Cadillac Utilities To Get ‘XT’ Nomenclature, Excluding Escalade

Originally Posted by Trexus
It appears bitkahuna was correct in that Cadillac will rename their SUV line-up with "XT"... weird how they won't change the Escalade name into an "XT"...

It looks like I left a little too much in the editing bin so I am re-posting again.

Cadillac will rename SRX and introduce two new utilities to lineup

After announcing the new ‘CT’ prefixed nomenclature to be used on Cadillac’s line of cars, the New York bound luxury brand will rely on the ‘XT’ prefix for current and future utility models.

Speaking to Forbes, Cadillac chief marketing officer Uwe Ellinghaus let it slip that “future SUVs will have an ‘XT’ and cars will have a ‘CT’ and the number behind each pair of letters will indicate its size in the hierarchy.”

Currently, Cadillac has two utilities in its lineup – the SRX and Escalade – but the latter will not follow the new naming convention. The SRX, along with two future utilities (one above and one below the SRX) will use the new ‘XT’ prefix in their names.

The first model to receive Cadillac’s new nomenclature will be the upcoming Cadillac CT6, a new model that will sit above the CTS in Cadillac’s car lineup.
Source: Autos.ca
Old 10-02-14, 10:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Good move by Cadillac IMO. They need to be precieved differently.

Also a good move to leave the Escalade name alone.
Old 10-02-14, 10:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

How can something be a good move for most of the lineup but not for all? Whats the point in having a consistent naming structure if you're going to have one model that totally doesn't fit?

This is so absurd after what he did at Infiniti I would have assumed at first glance it was a spoof article lol
Old 10-02-14, 10:46 AM
Trexus

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Also a good move to leave the Escalade name alone.
Not sure about that. If that's the case Cadillac should bring back Catera, Cimarron, Seville, Deville, Eldorado and Allante...
Old 10-02-14, 11:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

gotcha. while it says the escalade name won't change (too much value) i wouldn't be surprised to see it change in time, maybe with 'both' names to start...

escalade -> escalade xt9 -> xt9

or something.

Quick Reply: Cadillac to receive new naming structure.