Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac to receive new naming structure.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-14, 02:41 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There may be a few exceptions, but most Cadillac dealerships today in the U.S. already handle only Cadillac and no other brands. Some of them formerly also handled Hummers, but, of course, that division went down the tubes with Pontiac, Saab, and Saturn.
It seems like most of the Cadillac dealers around here also have Buick and GMC in the same showrooms.
Old 09-29-14, 03:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It seems like most of the Cadillac dealers around here also have Buick and GMC in the same showrooms.
Around here all Cadillac dealers are lumped in with Chevrolet, Buick and GMC. What Cadillac still has not done around here is seperate themselves from their there brands.

Lexus, Acura, Infiniti on the other hand have successfully distanced themselves from their standard brands. When a new buyer goes into a Lexus dealer to buy their shiny new Lexus NX, they do not see Toyotas sitting under the same roof or parking lot. Can't say that for the Cadillac SRX owner.
Old 09-29-14, 04:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Around here all Cadillac dealers are lumped in with Chevrolet, Buick and GMC. What Cadillac still has not done around here is seperate themselves from their there brands.
Fair enough. I have no reason to doubt either of your words on that. In your areas (Ontario and Illinois), three or four different GM brands, including Cadillac, may indeed be sold at the same outlet. Here in this DC-Baltimore area, though, with the enormous number of new-car sales of all makes (second in the U.S. only to L.A./SoCal), GM dealerships are usually broken down into Cadillac-only and GMC/Buick/Chevy. I would imagine, though, LexBob (and are you from the Chicago area), that a lot of new cars are also sold there, and that you might also find Caddy-only shops.
Old 09-29-14, 08:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Agreed, but Cadillac really is still not in tier one territory. The individual cars are on par with tier one but the entire brand is not.
I'm not saying they are, it will take time but they are headed in the right direction. Changing the names of their models is not going to help that, as it did not with Infiniti.

GM dealerships are usually broken down into Cadillac-only and GMC/Buick/Chevy
We certainly also have combination Cadillac dealers in the DC Metro area. Capitol Cadillac in Greenbelt, MD also sells Buick, GMC and sold Hummer.
Old 09-30-14, 05:48 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I'm not saying they are, it will take time but they are headed in the right direction. Changing the names of their models is not going to help that, as it did not with Infiniti.

How can you say that the name change has not helped Infiniti? It has been less than 2 years since it was announced and these things take time. We had grown used to the old naming structure so it will take some time (many years, perhaps) to become used to the new names.

It will take a few years but we will get used to the new Cadillac naming structure also.

If there is problem with these new Cadillac and Infiniti naming schemes, it is perhaps that the new scheme is NOT different enough from the old.

Infiniti was banking on the market's familiarity with the "Q" name so decided to name everything Qnn or QXnn. But because it is so similar to an old (but still remembered model), we think Q50 must be the Q with a 5-litre engine.

Cadillac's new naming scheme may be worse. They are banking on the market's familiarity with the CTS so their new scheme becomes CTn. The problem is that, from a distance, CT6 could easily be seen as CTS; the next CT5 (whatever that becomes) is even more easily confused with CTS. Many will start to think that all of Cadillac's models are now named "CTS". They will think that Cadillac then only sells one model, the CTS.

Infiniti and Cadillac should have been more courageous and made a greater change in their model names.

Oh, and don't blame Johan for this; the new Cadillac naming scheme was in the books before he came on board. Caddy may have hired him because he has experience marketing a new naming scheme.
Old 09-30-14, 06:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
How can you say that the name change has not helped Infiniti? It has been less than 2 years since it was announced and these things take time. We had grown used to the old naming structure so it will take some time (many years, perhaps) to become used to the new names.

It will take a few years but we will get used to the new Cadillac naming structure also.
if it takes years for customers to get used to it, then it has failed already.
Old 09-30-14, 06:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS

We certainly also have combination Cadillac dealers in the DC Metro area. Capitol Cadillac in Greenbelt, MD also sells Buick, GMC and sold Hummer.
True. I haven't been to that one in a while.
Old 09-30-14, 10:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

True. I haven't been to that one in a while.
My Dad bought his 95 STS there. I believe back then it was just a Caddy dealer, but has since added Buick and GMC...

Originally Posted by spwolf
I agree. The issue is that they're already trying to get consumers used to the idea that an Infiniti or a Cadillac can be a tier one car. Now you've taken away that model recognition when they have some good success with the CTS, ATS and the G series at Infiniti. Now they have to wrap their heads around a $70,000 Cadillac sedan, and they have to figure out what the hell a "CT80" is?

What made Audi successful isn't their new names...its making great cars.
Old 10-01-14, 07:23 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not understand how Lexus isn't dragging Cadillac into a trademark dispute over "CT". Seems to me that "CT" is the identifying moniker for sedans, just like the Lexus CT.
Old 10-01-14, 08:19 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I do not understand how Lexus isn't dragging Cadillac into a trademark dispute over "CT". Seems to me that "CT" is the identifying moniker for sedans, just like the Lexus CT.
I agree that Lexus should dispute the trademark "CT" legally. Then again I think Lexus doesn't think that Cadillac is a threat but either way Lexus has the CT and it's doing well.

Johan is going to have to go back to the drawing board...just keep the CTS, ATS, XTS, ELR, SRX, XLR, etc. monikers. Just change the Escalade designation to be consistent with the rest of the line-up. There you have it! I just made Johan's job that much easier...
Old 10-01-14, 08:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
totally disagree. branding changes ALWAYS takes years.

bmw changing the 3 series coupe to the 4 series was a HUGE change but most consumers probably still don't have a clue that a change was made.

plus a brand like bmw promotes the WHOLE BRAND so people think (ideally) all bmw's are awesome, just different sizes and shapes, with model designations being less important. whether it's a 428, 430, or 435, etc. ... it's still a bmw.
Old 10-01-14, 09:23 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
totally disagree. branding changes ALWAYS takes years.

bmw changing the 3 series coupe to the 4 series was a HUGE change but most consumers probably still don't have a clue that a change was made.

plus a brand like bmw promotes the WHOLE BRAND so people think (ideally) all bmw's are awesome, just different sizes and shapes, with model designations being less important. whether it's a 428, 430, or 435, etc. ... it's still a bmw.
I don't agree, BMW only added the 4 series to separate their old 3 series coupe designations. What Cadillac is doing is changing ALL of their designations.

Its easier to explain to customers what a 4 series is than to explain the whole entire naming scheme. It will take more than years to get used to, maybe even decades...
Old 10-01-14, 09:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I do not understand how Lexus isn't dragging Cadillac into a trademark dispute over "CT".
I agree that Lexus should dispute the trademark "CT" legally.
No. A suit like that would get nowhere. The judge would probably toss it out as a frivolous lawsuit. How many automakers, for example, over the years, use (or have used) the "GT" moniker?
Old 10-01-14, 10:12 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Cadillac will rename SRX and introduce two new utilities to lineup

Cadillac will rename SRX and introduce two new utilities to lineup
After announcing the new ‘CT’ prefixed nomenclature to be used on Cadillac’s line of cars, the New York bound luxury brand will rely on the ‘XT’ prefix for current and future utility models.

Speaking to Forbes, Cadillac chief marketing officer Uwe Ellinghaus let it slip that “future SUVs will have an ‘XT’ and cars will have a ‘CT’ and the number behind each pair of letters will indicate its size in the hierarchy.”

The first model to receive Cadillac’s new nomenclature will be the upcoming Cadillac CT6, a new model that will sit above the CTS in Cadillac’s car lineup.
Source: Autos.ca

Interesting that the Escalade name will live on.

Speaking of trademark infringement, I remember the "XT" as one flavour of the IBM PC desktop personal computer from 30 years ago.
Old 10-01-14, 11:26 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

No. A suit like that would get nowhere. The judge would probably toss it out as a frivolous lawsuit. How many automakers, for example, over the years, use (or have used) the "GT" moniker?
I'm fairly sure they could put a good fight. The precedent has been set many times in the past. "GT" is typically used as a trim level so this isn't the same.

Quick Reply: Cadillac to receive new naming structure.