Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac to receive new naming structure.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-14, 02:52 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cadillac to receive new naming structure.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/future-cars/cadillac-ct6-flagship-sedan-name-revealed-with-new-naming-scheme?src=soc_fcbks

Johan strikes again. Cadillac is to have all their cars starting with "ct" and a # to show their level. The flagship CT6, will be the first.

The already have a similar idea, why change it, and what of the escalade?
Old 09-24-14, 03:04 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

LOL......
Old 09-24-14, 03:17 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This Johan guy is ACTUALLY a disaster.
Old 09-24-14, 03:24 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

I guess Johan learned from his time at Infiniti that you don't switch up the nomenclature all at once. Better to save renaming for face lifts and redesigns to avoid the immediate confusion.
Old 09-24-14, 04:25 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

With every leadership change, they want to make their own waves, similar to when a coach comes in and cleans house of the staff and then players they want, etc.

At least he's making it so that it rolls out with new models and not just immediately rebranding and confusing people.
Old 09-24-14, 05:31 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

damn, talk about recycling old ideas.
Old 09-24-14, 06:37 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Haha, nice!

Well, this is kind of funny, although completely unnecessary in my opinion. Cadillac has multiple successful products that already have a good following, namely the Escalade & CTS. If he goes and changes the Escalade name, that would be a disaster, along the lines of Lincoln discontinuing the Town Car.

I can see his reasons for changing Infiniti's nomenclature to Q & QX, given that the QX SUV is highly successful (and certainly their most successful SUV) and that their original flagship was of course the Q45. However, with Cadillac, why use "CT" for everything?

It's just as bad as Lincoln using "MK" for every model. It sucks
Old 09-24-14, 07:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, since most of you guys seem to feel that to include CT in the whole product line would be out of the question, then what would YOU suggest?
Old 09-24-14, 07:30 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, since most of you guys seem to feel that to include CT in the whole product line would be out of the question, then what would YOU suggest?
How about using REAL names instead? They don't have to follow the nomenclature formula that every other luxury brand uses. In fact, everywhere I look where this subject comes up, mostly everyone prefers to have real names attached to each model. Porsche does this and they are unique in that regard. It certainly hasn't cheapened their image to have car names like the Panamera. If anything, it actually increases their brand equity in my opinion to have two distinct names to brand their product (Porsche & Panamera).

If they go and change Escalade to the CTX6 or something similarly ridiculous, then they will have completely lost their minds

Last edited by Lex2InfiN; 09-24-14 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-24-14, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
How about using REAL names instead? They don't have to follow the nomenclature formula that every other luxury brand uses. In fact, everywhere I look where this subject comes up, mostly everyone prefers to have real names attached to each model. Porsche does this and they are unique in that regard. It certainly hasn't cheapened their image to have car names like the Panamera. If anything, it actually increases their brand equity in my opinion to have two distinct names to brand their product (Porsche & Panamera).

If they go and change Escalade to the CTX6 or something similarly ridiculous, then they will have completely lost their minds
Do you think they should keep the V-logo for the performance line?
Old 09-24-14, 07:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by rkyat
http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/future-cars/cadillac-ct6-flagship-sedan-name-revealed-with-new-naming-scheme?src=soc_fcbks

Johan strikes again. Cadillac is to have all their cars starting with "ct" and a # to show their level. The flagship CT6, will be the first.

The already have a similar idea, why change it, and what of the escalade?
hahahahahahahaha.

So basically this is his maximum - change the name of vehicles!
Old 09-24-14, 07:57 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Do you think they should keep the V-logo for the performance line?
Yes, of course, why shouldn't they?

But who knows what they will do. They already changed their badge (bad idea - the wreath was classy) and now their nomenclature. Unnecessary to do all these changes in the hopes that it will help sales. Infiniti needed an overhaul in my opinion, so I don't think completely changing everything to Q & QX was a terrible idea (although I would have much preferred them using "I" for Infiniti instead). But Cadillac isnt doing that terribly in sales. They just need more product that people want. Using two letters & 1 number to differentiate each car model looks terrible in my opinion.
It would have been better if they named it the C6. Using "CT" for everything is just as terrible as Lincoln using "MK" for every model. Just bad bad marketing/product branding
Old 09-24-14, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
Yes, of course, why shouldn't they?

But who knows what they will do. They already changed their badge (bad idea - the wreath was classy) and now their nomenclature. Unnecessary to do all these changes in the hopes that it will help sales. Infiniti needed an overhaul in my opinion, so I don't think completely changing everything to Q & QX was a terrible idea (although I would have much preferred them using "I" for Infiniti instead). But Cadillac isnt doing that terribly in sales. They just need more product that people want. Using two letters & 1 number to differentiate each car model looks terrible in my opinion.
It would have been better if they named it the C6. Using "CT" for everything is just as terrible as Lincoln using "MK" for every model. Just bad bad marketing/product branding
I agree with you on at least two points. One, that the Cadillac wreath WAS classy and probably shouldn't have been dropped. Two, that dropping the Town Car WAS indeed a disaster. Only now has Lincoln begun to restore some credibility with the new MKC introduction.
Old 09-24-14, 08:19 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
hahahahahahahaha.

So basically this is his maximum - change the name of vehicles!
Cadillac trademarked CT6 and CT5 before his arrival actually.
Old 09-24-14, 08:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by rkyat
except that's not really what the article says.

The [flagship] name also indicates a coming shift to a simplified naming convention for future Cadillac models. Under this strategy, familiar lettering like “CT” would be used for car models, with the number indicating the relative size and position of the cars in the hierarchy of Cadillac models."
to me that says CT will be ONE possible prefix. i could see the current ATS and CTS being renamed as CT3 and CT5 perhaps, with the new flagship as CT6. the escalade though, maybe that would get an XT prefix

Quick Reply: Cadillac to receive new naming structure.