Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

European Air Worse Than Beijing at times, rethinking Diesels

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-14, 11:44 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sulu
Western Europeans who live in the cities, especially the larger cities, do not need cars because they have excellent transit systems of buses, subways, trams/trolleys/streetcars, even taxis and car-sharing services. Even if they owned cars, they would have no place to park them. Car-sharing services are also growing, so for those who occasionally need a car but do not own one can "borrow" one when needed.

Those who do drive would be driving on small, narrow roads that in places seem to be merely paved country / farm roads. I have not driven in Western Europe for a few years now, but when I did, driving compact (early, not current Ford Mondeo) and mid-size cars, it was scary because of the narrow lanes. Growing up in North America, with its wide-open spaces and wide road lanes, you are much less worried about another car overtaking you or an on-coming car swerving into your lane but a North American driving in rural England and Wales? Forget it!

So why drive unless you really have to?
I guess that's a valid point.

The case seems even moreso in Switzerland (which is said to be the most anti-car country in all Western and Central Europe). I remember a commenter from Zwolle, Netherlands state this:

Car taxes and fuel taxation in the Netherlands is high...........but it is not as high comped to Switzerland
In fact, I think Jeremy Clarkson mentioned this in one of the Top Gear episodes (I think this was the MB SLR episode) where he joked around when he said that a number of Swiss people are not fond of cars............and that some even get upset when they hear the sound of a car with 8 cylinders or more
Old 12-16-14, 11:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yup and it's game over in the u.s. as cuv/suvs outsell sedans and of course trucks are HUGE too. the traditional sedan only continues to sell so well because of 'tradition' but more and more people realize they don't make much sense practically.

as you know, in europe where parking and roads are tight in many places, a small vehicle with maximal space is the norm - i.e., a hatchback. in the u.s., larger hatches like kia soul, honda fit, elantra, and others are doing quite well. of course civics, corollas, accords and camrys (and others) still sell in huge numbers, but i bet a huge number of those are sold to older people and sales will drop hugely when that generation is gone making way for more yaris, fit, and cuvs, etc.

'fee'? maybe you meant few... and if so, i agree. and i don't mind.
yeah, autocorrect.

US still loves sedans, despite SUVs selling better again. Europe seems to completely dislike sedans these days, unless they are luxury.

It is quite questionable if Toyota will make next-generation Avensis, after new one comes out next year. With sales of the complete class failing 30% YoY, they will likely not invest into EU model anymore after next gen comes out.
Old 12-26-14, 04:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default French government to act against diesel

French fleet managers may have to recalculate their costs from next year.

The French Government is to begin removing the incentives for diesel vehicles in 2015, as well as introducing a labelling system to help motorists choose models based on their environmental performance, under plans announced by Prime Minister Manuel Valls.

Speaking at the environmental conference in Paris, Valls said that transport accounted for a quarter of greenhouse gas emissions in France, and that the country’s long-running preference for diesel engines has been ‘a mistake’.

Next year taxation will be reformed to remove the advantage for diesel compared to petrol.. An identification system marking out the most polluting vehicles will also be introduced next year.

“In France, the diesel engine has long been favoured”, said Valls. “It was a mistake. The government will set up, in 2015, a vehicle identification system based on their pollutants emissions. This system will help communities develop policies promoting cleaner vehicles”.
http://www.fleeteurope.com/news/fren...against-diesel
Old 12-26-14, 06:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, I won't try and second-guess the French government on this matter......maybe they have legitimate reasons for believing that diesel engines were a mistake. But, at the same time, it is ironic that a French automaker, Peugeot, has long been known (along with Mercedes) for making good automotive diesels back at a time when many regular passenger-car diesels had a reputation for being junk. Unlike typical diesels of the 1980s from GM, VW, Isuzu, etc.....Peugeot and Mercedes diesels could be trusted and depended upon for durability, economy, and long life (unfortunately, Peugeot, like many French-designed vehicles, had quality problems in other, non-engine-related areas).

I can still remember vividly when Peugeot was in the American market, including the 504D, 505D and 604D diesel models. Despite the excellence of these diesels, they just didn't catch on with most of the American public (partly because of the odd and frustrating way that the dash and column controls were designed in French cars back then), and Peugeot packed up and left our market.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-26-14 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-26-14, 08:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, I won't try and second-guess the French government on this matter......
why not, the french are second-guessing themselves.
Old 12-26-14, 10:32 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is diesel lobby finally going bye bye? France just hit all of their own, PSA and Renault base their businesses on diesel ICE.
Old 12-27-14, 04:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vladi
Is diesel lobby finally going bye bye? France just hit all of their own, PSA and Renault base their businesses on diesel ICE.
it does not make sense to have subsidies on diesel fuel/cars anymore... just remove them and market will correct itself.

Keep in mind that PSA and Renault/Nissan have excellent small petrols, more advanced than germans, and that they also have EVs and Hybrids, unlike Germans.

So it will benefit their manufacturers as well.
Old 12-27-14, 11:14 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Germany will also be hurt if diesel will not be subsidised, and that is good for Toyota/Lexus.
Old 12-27-14, 10:19 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Originally Posted by spwolf
it does not make sense to have subsidies on diesel fuel/cars anymore... just remove them and market will correct itself.

Keep in mind that PSA and Renault/Nissan have excellent small petrols, more advanced than germans, and that they also have EVs and Hybrids, unlike Germans.

So it will benefit their manufacturers as well.
Originally Posted by Levi68
Germany will also be hurt if diesel will not be subsidised, and that is good for Toyota/Lexus.
Diesel hybrid technology can be transferred to gasoline / petrol hybrids.

Nothing bad will happen, nature (both Mother Nature and human economic nature) will always ensure that something new will take the place of something old that has been lost.

Losing diesels will merely mean that auto manufacturers will have to switch to other technologies, like better gasoline engines, gasoline hybrids and EVs (both plug-in and fuel cell electric vehicles), or other, synthetic fuels (cleaner biodiesels and other man-made fuels).
Old 12-28-14, 12:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Levi68
this is only in France though, it will certainly not be EU wide or in Germany. If anything, Germany has lobbied successfully so far to limit car taxes to CO2 and not nox, as well as delaying turbo petrol particle emission rules until 2018 I believe.

Rest of the EU countries will likely continue to subsidize diesel fuel in years to come. Even France has planned only small amount of subsidy removal, not all of it... only €0.02 per liter, probably 10x less than what full subsidy is right now.