Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Toyota Camry Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-15, 07:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Amazing!

"Our stock 2015 Camry SE 4-cylinder posted times faster than a Porsche 944, MINI Cooper GP, Cadillac CTS-V wagon, supercharged Acura NSX, and a Porsche Carrera GT.”
click bait quote much?

the camry was driven by a pro driver, and a car like a carrera gt wasn't as there's no way in hell a camry is beating it on a track with similar drivers.
Old 05-13-15, 10:07 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The US-designed Camry range has been given such a substantial tweak because Toyota admits it needed a sharper design to compete with a number of desirable rivals globally, and to fit its new corporate direction towards creating more attractive and characterful vehicles.

Experts explain how re-used Toyota Camry Hybrid battery packs are helping bring power to the Lamar Buffalo Ranch field campus in Yellowstone National Park.
Old 05-13-15, 04:49 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Not sure what ur trying to suggest; whether i work for truthaboutcars or that owners who could afford such nice cars really suck *** driving, but it was a very interesting to see how much the Camry, a pedistrian machine, who most people think have no right to be on the track, hang, if not beat some of these hipo cars.

But hey, if the "pro" and beating them is too much for ya, here's the sub article noting how it outgunned a Volvo with a 70+hp deficit
:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/05/review-toyota-camry-se-2-5l-track-tested/

Just thought these were kool reviews that showed a side of this car that most people write of as just an "appliance"...

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
click bait quote much?

the camry was driven by a pro driver, and a car like a carrera gt wasn't as there's no way in hell a camry is beating it on a track with similar drivers.
Old 05-14-15, 04:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Not sure what ur trying to suggest; whether i work for truthaboutcars or that owners who could afford such nice cars really suck *** driving, but it was a very interesting to see how much the Camry, a pedistrian machine, who most people think have no right to be on the track, hang, if not beat some of these hipo cars.

But hey, if the "pro" and beating them is too much for ya, here's the sub article noting how it outgunned a Volvo with a 70+hp deficit
:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-track-tested/

Just thought these were kool reviews that showed a side of this car that most people write of as just an "appliance"...
Race car driver recommending Camry SE over Mazda 6 or Accord for track duty is going against everything we have heard so far in countless reviews, so it is natural that people dismiss it out of hand, without even reading the article.
Old 05-14-15, 11:25 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Race car driver recommending Camry SE over Mazda 6 or Accord for track duty is going against everything we have heard so far in countless reviews, so it is natural that people dismiss it out of hand, without even reading the article.
Do you guys even read the articles? No one recommended the Camry as a track car....
Old 05-14-15, 11:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Do you guys even read the articles? No one recommended the Camry as a track car....
there were a series of articles on TTAC about Camry on track... not because Camry is the best track car, but because they wanted to see how it does there for the fun of it.

In the followup article, Jack Baruth ended up writing that he would pick Camry SE for track over Altima, Accord and Mazda 6 he drove on that track.

So.....
Old 05-19-15, 10:02 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

It's the long-awaited grudge match between two of the biggest names in the mid-size segment – plus we bring along a wildcard.
Camry does not win.
Old 05-20-15, 04:26 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

I've found myself doing double takes at the refreshed Camry many times now.
Old 05-29-15, 09:23 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Toyota Launches Upgraded 2015 Aurion In Australia
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/05/toy...aurion-in.html
Set to dwell with more style in the land Down Under, the 2015 Aurion features not just styling upgrades, but also increased safety, sophistication and driver involvement.

It's derived from the Toyota Camry. Still, that doesn't mean the Aussies didn't put their own mark on it, now rejuvenating it for the year 2015.

Starting with the entry-level AT-X version, Toyota went and gave it a new sporty black mesh grille, 10-spoke 16" alloys, a power adjustable driver's seat and dual exhaust. Inside the AT-X you'll find classic fabric seat trim, whereas the Sportivo version features a unique sports fabric trim.

Speaking of the Sportivo, it features improvements such as a smaller-diameter three-spoke leather-accented steering wheel with paddle shifters, rear sunshade, power-adjustable driver and front passenger seats and it can also be fitted (at an extra cost) with a moonroof, optional paint color and a premium package which contains a 10-speaker JBL audio system, sat-nav+ and leather-accented seat trim.

The top of the range Aurion 'Presara' comes with a blind-spot monitor and auto high beam, as well as new 17" 15-spoke alloys, the previously mentioned JBL audio system, sat-nav and basically everything else that's optional on the Sportivo.

Presara buyers can also go for the 18" package which also includes steering revisions and costs $1,000.

As for the increased driver involvement, the Aurion features a new pre-load differential, providing enhanced steering and better control under acceleration and deceleration, while improving low-speed handling and high-speed stability.

All Aurion models have 7 airbags, reversing camera and a full suite of electronic active safety features.

Prices for the AT-X ($36,490) and Sportivo ($40,990) remain unchanged, while the Presara's price of $50,440 now reflects the standard metallic or pearlescent paint which is a $450 option on the other grades.

Old 05-29-15, 10:35 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-track-tested/

You can make a really slow car fast and a really fast car slow with just a driver. This is not a new concept, nor is it particularly interesting to point out. It's like going to the drag strip and being surprised each time that 11 second cars are running 14 second quarter miles because the driver is terrible. Is this truly that interesting? Not really.

If you wanted to do something interesting, do this: record laps with a pro driver in the Camry and compare them to equivalent pro drivers in older sportcars and show how this new, regular car is able to post times similar to some of the sportcars of the older days.
Old 05-29-15, 04:00 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The last gen SE 18" wheels are still being put to good use.
Old 05-31-15, 07:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurker9
I've found myself doing double takes at the refreshed Camry many times now.
I noticed that I am doing that too.
Old 06-01-15, 01:00 AM
JenDunn
Driver School Candidate

Default 2015 Toyota Camry Reviews

Hi, in my own preference, Toyota Camry 2015 photos indicate that it has a more sophisticated look and displays a more promising interior. Anyway, I have known Toyota for its reliability and it could not even give me any doubt especially with this 2015 model.
Old 06-01-15, 10:27 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

First Test: 2015 Toyota Camry Hybrid
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...id_first_test/
Not a Sports Sedan, but Not an Appliance, Either

The 2015 Toyota Camry underwent a significant refresh with more than 2,000 new parts, and although we were disappointed that the automaker made no changes to the powertrain, we've come to realize it didn't really need to. At least that's the case for the Camry SE Hybrid that we had in for testing — it delivered a slightly better performance with looks to match.

On the skidpad, the old Camry Hybrid pulled 0.78g average and lapped our figure-eight test in 28.0 seconds at 0.61g average. Meanwhile, the newer hybrid pulled 0.80g average on the skidpad and completed the figure-eight course in 27.5 seconds at 0.64g average. We imagine these baby steps toward betterment were a result of a more rigid body structure and retuned suspension, which really became apparent on a snaky shortcut that I take on my daily commute. While I didn't anticipate an exhilarating drive down the canyon road, I wasn't expecting the Camry Hybrid to hold its ground, either. Even though it felt on the heavier side, the sedan crouched through the twisty turns with ease, inspiring me to coax the gas pedal a little more each time. It's safe to say the improvements significantly reduced body roll and made it feel more capable than one would expect from a hybridized midsize sedan, especially a Camry.

Although brake pedal feel still isn't 100 percent on point compared with the older model, it's still better than it was before. Stopping from 60 mph took the new Camry 120 feet, a whopping 8 feet shorter than the previous model we tested. Like we said in our First Drive of the hybrid, the gas engine's engagement is overall smooth and seamless, but if you're sitting at a long red light when it restarts, you're going to feel it. You're also going to feel the heavily weighted steering, which feels like an arm workout when you're making several short-radius turns. Road and wind noise aren't an issue in the 2015 Camry Hybrid, but you might hear some of the interior bits rattle if you manage to drive over deeper freeway grooves.

Now for the whole reason why customers would opt for the Camry hybrid in the first place: fuel economy. The Camry SE is EPA-rated at 40/38/40 mpg city/highway/combined, but after our Emissions Analytics team spent some time in it, they came back with slightly different numbers. The Camry Hybrid's real MPG number was pegged at 38.5 mpg in the city, 34.4 mpg on the highway, and 36.5 mpg combined. For comparison, our long-term Accord Hybrid's Real MPG numbers were logged at 46.8/41.6/44.3 mpg city/highway/combined.

Aside from the improved driving dynamics, Toyota also says the Camry has a nicer interior. I opened the doors to find our SE model had metallic trim and a more modern design. The standard Entune and navigation system were easy to use, and I had lots less trouble using both those features than folding down the rear seatback. I came to the conclusion that it couldn't be messed around with after spending a good five minutes trying to fold it down. Much to my surprise, it does fold down and there is a trunk pass-through, but the only way I found out was because the Monroney said so. I never ended up figuring out how to work it, so keep in mind that you might have to seriously investigate the matter if this is a car that you're looking into buying.

There's no doubt the 2015 Camry Hybrid is a better car than the one it replaces. Though it's no sports sedan, it's not the boring old appliance you'd expect it to be, either.
Old 06-12-15, 09:12 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Wear headphones! The audio in this video was recorded with in-ear binaural microphones. With headphones or earbuds on, you'll feel like you're actually sitting in the driver's seat.

Quick Reply: 2015 Toyota Camry Reviews