Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Toyota Camry Reviews

Old 03-04-15, 05:28 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2015 Toyota Camry XSE is powered by a 2.5 liter 4-cylinder engine that makes 178 horsepower and 170 lb-ft. of torque. The transmission is a 6-speed automatic. A best 0-60 MPH acceleration test time of 8 seconds was accomplished with the Transmission set to “Sport” and the Traction Control turned “Off”.
Old 03-11-15, 10:24 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

We’ll cruise on more familiar roads in the latest Toyota Camry.
Old 03-12-15, 05:03 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Toyota Camry Commercial Thailand 2015.
Wolverine drives a Camry.
Old 03-12-15, 07:20 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Interesting... Using San Francisco as a backdrop when that particular model is not even available in North America, much less Frisco.
Old 03-13-15, 12:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Interesting... Using San Francisco as a backdrop when that particular model is not even available in North America, much less Frisco.
far more interesting is brand new 2.0l AR engine with VVT-iW and D4S.

A total of six variants are offered there: 2.0G, 2.0G Extremo, 2.5G, 2.5HV CD, 2.5HV Navigator and 2.5HV Premium. The first two models get the biggest upgrade over the outgoing Camry, featuring the new 2.0 litre VVT-iW & D-4S engine paired to a six-speed automatic transmission (in place of the old four-speeder).

The 6AR-FSE motor has a much higher compression ratio compared to the old 1AZ-FE (12.7:1 vs 9.8:1), along with new advancements such as VVT-iW (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent Wide) and D-4S (separate twin injectors for both direct and port injection). Toyota’s VVT-iW tech first debuted on the Lexus NX 200t.

Output numbers are up from the current 150 PS and 190 Nm to 167 PS and 199 Nm. Together with the six-speed automatic gearbox, a fuel efficiency improvement of 13% is claimed. The rest of the range is unchanged, with the same 181 PS/231 Nm 2.5 litre engine and 160 PS/213 Nm 2.5 litre petrol plus 105 PS/270Nm hybrid combo options offered.

Read more: http://paultan.org/2015/03/11/2015-t...#ixzz3UFMKIQWC

Last edited by spwolf; 03-13-15 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-13-15, 07:38 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
far more interesting is brand new 2.0l AR engine with VVT-iW and D4S.

A total of six variants are offered there: 2.0G, 2.0G Extremo, 2.5G, 2.5HV CD, 2.5HV Navigator and 2.5HV Premium. The first two models get the biggest upgrade over the outgoing Camry, featuring the new 2.0 litre VVT-iW & D-4S engine paired to a six-speed automatic transmission (in place of the old four-speeder).

The 6AR-FSE motor has a much higher compression ratio compared to the old 1AZ-FE (12.7:1 vs 9.8:1), along with new advancements such as VVT-iW (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent Wide) and D-4S (separate twin injectors for both direct and port injection). Toyota’s VVT-iW tech first debuted on the Lexus NX 200t.

Output numbers are up from the current 150 PS and 190 Nm to 167 PS and 199 Nm. Together with the six-speed automatic gearbox, a fuel efficiency improvement of 13% is claimed. The rest of the range is unchanged, with the same 181 PS/231 Nm 2.5 litre engine and 160 PS/213 Nm 2.5 litre petrol plus 105 PS/270Nm hybrid combo options offered.
6AR? I would have thought that it is the same engine block as the NX's 8AR. What's different -- bore and stroke measurements to optimize the 8AR for turbocharging?
Old 03-13-15, 03:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
6AR? I would have thought that it is the same engine block as the NX's 8AR. What's different -- bore and stroke measurements to optimize the 8AR for turbocharging?
yes, this 2.0l is also brand new, it has 86x86 bore and stroke.

What is the most interesting thing is that this is "base" model now... previously they had very old AZ engine with 4AT as base (to lower the entry price, and 2.5l AR for premium engine), and now they are getting this new AR with all the tech (no start/stop I guess) possible as base, probably without significant rise in prices.

Bodes well for NA market and NA engines as well... might end up having VVT-iW and D4S (as well as other things like water cooled EGR) in all of the engines in NA soon enough... that would be significant step forward... we in Europe always had latest Toyota tech like Valvematic, but only we had it... NA always used older tech for cheaper prices, and Japan was sporadic. Now it seems everyone will get latest tech... which is good!
Old 03-13-15, 09:25 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
yes, this 2.0l is also brand new, it has 86x86 bore and stroke.

What is the most interesting thing is that this is "base" model now... previously they had very old AZ engine with 4AT as base (to lower the entry price, and 2.5l AR for premium engine), and now they are getting this new AR with all the tech (no start/stop I guess) possible as base, probably without significant rise in prices.

Bodes well for NA market and NA engines as well... might end up having VVT-iW and D4S (as well as other things like water cooled EGR) in all of the engines in NA soon enough... that would be significant step forward... we in Europe always had latest Toyota tech like Valvematic, but only we had it... NA always used older tech for cheaper prices, and Japan was sporadic. Now it seems everyone will get latest tech... which is good!
Definitely!!
Old 03-22-15, 10:09 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Stop making fun of the Camry: It's no 3 Series, but it's not trying to be.
Old 03-23-15, 09:13 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Default Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Toyota Camry XSE V6

DAY 1

I pulled up to the Toyota dealer yesterday to pick up my tester the 2015 Toyota Camry, as I pulled up I noticed a new Corolla in the parking lot but not Camry. I was then handed the keys and I went on my search for the Camry, and there it was right in front of my face — it looked almost exactly like that Corolla so I totally missed it.

There certainly is something to be said about a family resemblance and Toyota’s new fascia certainly carries that design across the line. What happened next I find even more humourous was when my other half said: “That’s a Camry? It’s too sporty to be a Camry!”

Isn’t that just telling? The Camry has a reputation of bland motoring, I talked to a few people about that today and it is pretty prevalent. Bland, reliable transportation, that defines the Camry — well that is an image Toyota is trying to shed, at least the bland part.

My tester seems to have a few things going for it to help shed that stigma. One being that it does look sporty and is sporting 18-inch alloy rims which certainly helps that situation. It is fairly well equipped as well and the red stitching along the dash and door panels add to that sporty character. The engine is no slouch either, powering my tester is Toyota’s 3.5L V6 that boasts 268 hp and 248 lb-ft of torque.

Pricing: 2015 Toyota Camry XSE V6 [Note: Canadian model and all prices in Canadian dollars]
Base Price: $33,900
Destination: $1,620
A/C Tax: $100
Price as tested: $35,620

Competitors:
Chevrolet Malibu
Chrysler 200
Honda Accord
Nissan Altima
Kia Optima
Hyundai Sonata
Ford Fusion
Mazda Mazda6

DAY 2

For the price (just over $33,000), this vehicle seems well equipped – Navigation, blind spot detection with [rear] cross traffic alert, backup camera, JBL Audio system, moonroof, heated seats, dual-zone automatic climate control and more.

The seats are leather with suede-like inserts that offer the best of many worlds (sporty looking, comfortable and not cold in the winter). The layout of the interior is very ergonomically friendly, everything is within easy reach and the buttons are intuitive and simple to use.

But it’s not all perfect; although my complaints are small, there are a few. The trunk probably bothers me the most – there is a button to open it but it is so recessed that every time I try to use it I fumble around. Closing it also requires me to get my hands all salty and dirty on the top of the trunk as there is no internal handle.

The other complaint is the cheap plastics that line the dash and centre console. The bin, below the HVAC controls and to the left of the steering wheel just feel flimsy and cheap. The flat black plastic has no texture and seems like it would scratch and scuff easily.

DAY 3

My tester doesn’t just look sporty, the Camry XSE comes standard with what Toyota calls “sports tuned” Suspension, both front and rear. This includes an independent dual-link coilover rear suspension setup with all the buzz words including Macpherson struts up front.

So does the Camry handle like a sports car? Well not exactly, the suspension is smooth and compliant but it is still controlled. Perhaps a little stiffer than many might think when they think of the Camry, but by no means is it a stiff ride. But this is all okay, this Camry handles well past what most people would ever care to explore anyways.

The V6 engine of course does cash in that sporty look. It effortlessly moves the Camry around with little to no fuss, step on the throttle hard and it pull the Camry along with authority, but the real benefit here is the effortless motion and quietness this engine delivers.

Where I am let down is the brakes, they are soft and do not inspire confidence in the least. In fact, numerous times I have felt like the car just wasn’t stopping until I really put my foot down hard. The brakes have very little feel and require far too much pressure for my liking.

Wind noise is nil on normal days, Tuesday was crazy windy and although the car was moving all over the highway I wouldn’t hear the gusts inside the car. Tire noise can be heard, although my tester is equipped with winter tires that may be louder than the OEM all-seasons the car comes with.

DAY 4

The Camry is available in four-cylinder, Hybrid and V6 engine choices and after a week with the V6 it would be hard to convince me to buy anything else. Funnily enough I was supposed to drive a Hybrid version in a few weeks from now but it’s been cancelled unfortunately so I cannot compare real world.

That V6 engine is so smooth and effortless and even in our cold climate I managed to average 8.9 L/100 km over the course of the week. Looking back on other V6 sedans I have tested I was surprised to see that I averaged 8.8 L/100 km in a 300-horsepower Chrysler 200 AWD recently, so this isn’t extra amazing but still efficient enough in my books.

In fact I drove over 400 km and put only $35 in fuel in the car, thanks to the lower gas prices and the efficiency of this car it was an inexpensive week of commuting!

If I were buying a Camry though I think I would skip the sport-tuned suspension and look for something a little more compliant, perhaps the XLE trim instead of the XSE. The car really isn’t sporty so why pretend? Perhaps a good set of performance brake pads would help the cause but as it sits those brakes really let this car down.

Overall Rating: 4 stars
Comfort: 4/5
Performance: 4.5/5
Fuel Economy: 4.5/5
Interior: 3.5/5
Exterior Styling: 4/5
Source: http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/...-camry-xse-v6/
Old 03-23-15, 12:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

motorweek / cars.com family car comparison:

camry - last out of 10
sonata - first out of 10

their words:
But, briefly, 10th spot, most surprisingly, went to the reworked Toyota Camry. The interior look and quality of our SE trimmed car really disappointed.
surprises me because i don't think it's that bad now.

video and write-up: http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/com...edan-challenge

predicted responses here:
"it must be better because it outsells everything"

and i say "review is irrelevant anyway, as camry buyers don't care and will buy a camry regardless."

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-23-15 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-23-15, 12:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
motorweek / cars.com family car comparison:
Thanks for posting, bit. As usual, nice to listen to John Davis....I've always liked him.

He makes a good point that, because of the time and attention that automakers typically put into mid-size sedans and their generally huge selling-market, It's really hard to pick winners and losers here. I agree.

and i say "review is irrelevant anyway, as camry buyers don't care and will buy a camry regardless."
No doubt. Cars often continue to sell (or not sell) on their past reputations. But today's Camry, IMO, despite its last-place finish here, IS better than the last-generation one in several ways.
Old 04-30-15, 10:12 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

With a hybrid drivetrain delivering 40 mpg average and useful app integration wrapped in a spacious and attractive sedan body, the 2015 Toyota Camry Hybrid is the best in the lineup.
Old 05-12-15, 05:05 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Amazing!

"Our stock 2015 Camry SE 4-cylinder posted times faster than a Porsche 944, MINI Cooper GP, Cadillac CTS-V wagon, supercharged Acura NSX, and a Porsche Carrera GT.”

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/05/barks-bites-not-fr-s-per-se/
Old 05-13-15, 06:52 AM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Amazing! "Our stock 2015 Camry SE 4-cylinder posted times faster than a Porsche 944, MINI Cooper GP, Cadillac CTS-V wagon, supercharged Acura NSX, and a Porsche Carrera GT.”http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...t-fr-s-per-se/
The spark timing of the 2015 4 cyl Camry feels advanced for a modern day emission controlled car and so the car has an agile, athletic feel to it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Toyota Camry Reviews