Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Defining an experienced driver...

Old 09-23-14, 03:16 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
I get car sick very easily whenever i am a passenger which means i avoid being a passenger most times. If i get in the car with you and i don't get car sick, you're good in my book.
Definite plus for me too!
Old 09-23-14, 04:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

experienced drivers are drivers with lots of miles under their belt. A driver who can control the car, remains calm in an emergency and drive defensively. FINALLY.....an experienced driver should have some track time under his/her belt. If you think you have driven hard or fast.....you have no clue how far you are from driving fast and hard . To control the car at the limit you need to drive it at the limit and learn the dynamics behind the handling at that level.

everyone else is simply just a commuter . This means you are good at hitting the brakes and gas at low speed. lol
Old 09-23-14, 04:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
experienced drivers are drivers with lots of miles under their belt. A driver who can control the car, remains calm in an emergency and drive defensively. FINALLY.....an experienced driver should have some track time under his/her belt. If you think you have driven hard or fast.....you have no clue how far you are from driving fast and hard . To control the car at the limit you need to drive it at the limit and learn the dynamics behind the handling at that level.

everyone else is simply just a commuter . This means you are good at hitting the brakes and gas at low speed. lol
Part of what you are describing, though, is more of in the realm of track, rather than street, driving. The best street-drivers, from an experience and safety point of view, aren't necessarily the same as the best track or competition drivers. Some drivers can do one but not the other well; some can do both well; and, unfortunately, some can do neither well.
Old 09-23-14, 06:07 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
You know you're a good driver when you can smoke a lot of people driving around a four-banger FWD car.

I believe that any experienced driver can handle and just about have fun with about any car (well, maybe not the Lexus ES ).

SO, HOW WOULD YOU DEFINE AN EXPERIENCED DRIVER?

It's not just about the car; it ain't about RWD and manual transmissions. It's not about electronic nannies. It's not about loud exhausts or big wheels or turbos.

It's not just about the years/mileage that someone has under their belt.

It's not about who can pay for track days. It's not about straight lines, 0-60 times, nor Quarter Miles.

Let's have a discussion about what every driver needs to consider to become a better and more experienced driver.

DISCUSS.
One who can take any car, understand it, and use all of it's features in its advantage. that's it!