Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q60 News

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-14, 11:20 AM
zema
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infiniti Q60 News

Infiniti’s new BMW-coupe rival is coming

Confirmation that two-door 4-Series baiter is in the wings, with potential for 560bhp halo version

Infiniti has confirmed to TopGear.com that it will showcase a production version of a brand new, two-door coupe by 2015.

Speaking at the international opening of its new automotive design facility in London last night, Shiro Nakamura, chief creative officer of Infiniti and senior VP of Nissan, told TG his plans to take on the BMW 4-Series.

"I want to make a two-door coupe. It's coming, you'll see it within one year. It'll be a production version, a little bit bigger than a BMW 4-Series, but not as big as a 6-Series," he said.

"As you know, always our sizes are a little bit in between BMW's sizes. Look at the Q50, that's between the 3-Series and 5-Series," he added.

Speaking at the launch, Shiro noted how the two-door coupe would take design elements and cues from the upcoming Paris Motor Show concept, the Q80 (teaser pictured). More interestingly, he also took on TopGear.com's suggestion that enthusiasm for that Q50 Eau Rouge concept - while still not confirmed for production just yet - should influence a range-topping version of this two-door coupe. The Eau Rouge, don't forget, is a 560bhp, GT-R engined monster saloon part-developed by Sebastian Vettel.

Can Infiniti's Eau Rouge beat the BMW M5? Vettel tells TG

"We are still working on the Q50 Eau Rouge, and we don't want to give up on that, but the business case is not that easy," Shiro admitted. "We believe that it's a strong statement, and we need a halo car. It's almost a cost of entry into the premium segment, because you cannot just make affordable cars. Without a halo or performance vehicle, particularly in Europe, people don't consider you a premium brand."

So when probed by TG as to whether this new two-door could get the 560bhp treatment too, Shiro's eyes opened. "An Eau Rouge type car for the two-door? Yes, I like the idea. If we can get a four-door Eau Rouge built, we can get the same for the two-door, using the same [Nissan GT-R] powertrain. That's a good idea, let me think about it."

Infiniti of course, is getting a little more serious about its future, too. Former Infiniti boss Johan de Nysschen only last year noted how he wanted the brand to remain exclusive, how "we don't want an Infiniti on every single driveway". It's not something that Shiro wants to continue, however.

"We need volume," he says bluntly. "Otherwise you cannot invest. We're hoping the Q30 will bring big volume, particularly from Europe and China, because it's the most affordable Infiniti. Without volume you can't do anything. This industry is so tough.

"Aston Martin for example, can be niche because they're expensive cars, but we cannot price ourselves any higher than Mercedes-Benz (on whose A-Class platform the new Q30 hatch sits)," Shiro added.

So there you have it. The Q30 is coming. The QX30 is coming. The Q50 Eau Rouge is still on the cards. There's a brand new two-door coupe in the wings, the potential for a halo, range-topping car which we'll get a preview of in Paris next month, and a potential 560bhp BMW M6 rival.

Watch this space...
Source: http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/i...ies-2014-09-19
Old 09-19-14, 11:30 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I wish they asked the guy about getting the apps fixed (13 months with no fix and counting)

The guy should add to his premium brand talking points that the company needs to support the brand via product support
Old 09-19-14, 11:40 AM
1neeto
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that's something to be excited about!
Old 09-19-14, 12:48 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Why didn't they just come out and say it's the next Q60 (finally).
Old 09-19-14, 01:37 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
Why didn't they just come out and say it's the next Q60 (finally).
That sounds about right.
Old 09-19-14, 01:56 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

By the way, this is the make or break car for Infiniti for me. The G coupe to me was the best looking and performing car they made. It was what best exemplified what I think Infiniti should focus on - performance and style.

The new coupe should best showcase their new design and should make evident if they are sticking with high performance intentions. Hopefully they apply some lessons learned from the Q50.
Old 09-19-14, 02:56 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Remember, this is the car Johan de Nysschen rejected and sent back to the drawing board a couple of years ago. Hopefully it was worth it.
Old 09-19-14, 07:50 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
By the way, this is the make or break car for Infiniti for me. The G coupe to me was the best looking and performing car they made. It was what best exemplified what I think Infiniti should focus on - performance and style.

The new coupe should best showcase their new design and should make evident if they are sticking with high performance intentions. Hopefully they apply some lessons learned from the Q50.
Totally agree. We've owned two G37 Coupes and now have a G37 Convertible. They are still beautiful cars. If Infiniti can upsize this coupe for more practicality and make it a little more luxurious without compromising driving fun (like Lexus has done) it may go on my short list.
Old 09-20-14, 01:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I loved the first gen G35 coupe profile. Hope a new coupe follows in its sexy light
Old 09-20-14, 02:20 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I loved the first gen G35 coupe profile. Hope a new coupe follows in its sexy light
I preferred the shape of the original G35 coupe over the G37 coupe. It just looked sharper and more sleek. Hopefully the new Q60 will be more reminiscent of the former instead of the latter. One of Johan's orders was to get Infiniti away from curvy wavy designs to more sharper styling cues. Given that he rejected the body style of the next Q60 and sent it back to be re-worked tells me that this will be something really attractive once it hits. It really needs to be because the A5, 4 Series, & RC are all gorgeous designs in my opinion
Old 09-20-14, 02:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
I preferred the shape of the original G35 coupe over the G37 coupe. It just looked sharper and more sleek. Hopefully the new Q60 will be more reminiscent of the former instead of the latter. One of Johan's orders was to get Infiniti away from curvy wavy designs to more sharper styling cues. Given that he rejected the body style of the next Q60 and sent it back to be re-worked tells me that this will be something really attractive once it hits. It really needs to be because the A5, 4 Series, & RC are all gorgeous designs in my opinion
Despite the tech advances of the G37 Coupe, the curves looked way too feminine for my taste whereas the G35 coupe looked the part. So, agreed.
Old 09-20-14, 08:27 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Infiniti, now I'm interested.
Old 09-21-14, 03:04 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think so.

unless it looks like that Essence
Old 09-21-14, 06:01 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Despite the tech advances of the G37 Coupe, the curves looked way too feminine for my taste whereas the G35 coupe looked the part. So, agreed.
X2, That's why I never replaced my G35 coupe with a G37 coupe ...
Old 09-21-14, 07:14 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
X2, That's why I never replaced my G35 coupe with a G37 coupe ...
Me neither. Still have the G35 and its running strong. Performance wise, G37 wasn't leagues ahead of it either. I think the Q50 is too big and drives soft. I'm going IS350 at this rate.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q60 News