Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0

Old 09-19-14, 10:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Nice review as always.
Thanks.

Interior looks to be a huge improvement in design and materials. The previous gen Genesis was lacking in interior design, fit and finish, and materials.
True, the new interior is superb, but the old one was not exactly shoddy, either....it was certainly worthy of respect.

Ride and drive were not very good, it was pretty smooth but did not handle well.
That's where I respect your opinion, but differ a little. I found the ride on the old Genesis clearly too firm for a luxury-grade sedan in that class....I mentioned that in my review of the former 3.8L V6 model. While, of course, sport-sedan enthusiasts may like that kind of ride, enough Genesis customers complained about it that Hyundai promised significant chassis/suspension revisions to the 2Gen model...even hiring Lotus to help them out with the work. All I can say is that, IMO.....it worked.

This new one seems to be a big improvement especially with some help by Lotus in suspension tuning
Exactly.

Depreciation is really bad for these cars but they do make a very intriguing used car option. You could get a used V8 genesis for about the price of a same year used V6 fwd family sedan, which is enticing as long as the reliability is good and they hold up.
See my reply to doge above......depreciation on these cars probably doesn't reflect their true quality and competence.
Old 09-19-14, 02:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
This will be a great buy on the used market.
i see comments like this a lot - damning with faint praise?

why isn't it a great buy new?

same thing isn't said here of mercedes and bmw because they're viewed as unreliable when used, so i guess hyundai's ahead in that regard.
Old 09-19-14, 02:57 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it, but I can't tell the difference between the new Sonota and this. They look nearly the same to me. This will be a great buy on the used market.
hope you aren't serious.
Old 09-20-14, 12:48 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new Sonata has backwards interior compared to the previous YF Sonata (with Fluidic Sculpture design theme). It's so bad that a Hyundai Tucson has better-looking center console design.

Thankfully, this new Genesis has nicer interior so at least Hyundai didn't screw up on that end.

I wonder if any Genesis Sedan units will make it into the Philippine market
Old 09-20-14, 01:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
The new Sonata has backwards interior compared to the previous YF Sonata (with Fluidic Sculpture design theme). It's so bad that a Hyundai Tucson has better-looking center console design.
I respect your opinion on that one, but personally disagree. I thought the 5Gen (NF) Sonata was the best one ever built, outside and inside, with the 6Gen (YF) being, IMO, an aberration. Actual sales of both versions, though, were extremely good....so there were clearly a lot of people who agreed with both of us.

Thankfully, this new Genesis has nicer interior so at least Hyundai didn't screw up on that end.
Yes, this Genesis is head-and-shoulders above the last one....all except the (IMO) now-too-large grille.

I wonder if any Genesis Sedan units will make it into the Philippine market
Probably not many. Outside of the area around Manila, the average income and living standards in the Phillipines (which, is some ways, is still a backward Third-World country) is probably too low to sell many vehcles in the Genesis class.
Old 09-20-14, 01:59 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I respect your opinion on that one, but personally disagree. I thought the 5Gen (NF) Sonata was the best one ever built, outside and inside, with the 6Gen (YF) being, IMO, an aberration. Actual sales of both versions, though, were extremely good....so there were clearly a lot of people who agreed with both of us.
Hehe I see.

My gripe with the interior on the new one is that the center stack looks like a car from the 90's. Very sharp lines that are very brutalist. A far cry from Fluidic Sculpture no doubt.

Yes, this Genesis is head-and-shoulders above the last one....all except the (IMO) now-too-large grille.
I actually liked the previous gen model as well........but this new one raises the bar higher =)

Probably not many. Outside of the area around Manila, the average income and living standards in the Phillipines (which, is some ways, is still a backward Third-World country) is probably too low to sell many vehcles in the Genesis class.
Yeah, it's very rare to come by here.

In fact, for every Genesis sedan sold here, there are like 10 Genesis Coupe cars sold.

It only came in one version:
3.8 MPI PORT INJECTION

Hyundai PH was hesistant to bring in the GDI models because they claim that our EURO 2 Philippine fuel is TOO TOXIC for the Hyundai direct injection system.

We'll see if Hyundai PH will bring in the new Genesis Sedan

In the meantime, we have the next best thing in-line from the Korean manufacturer:

The Hyundai Azera 3.0 V6

Too many Toyota Camry and Honda Accord on the road.............so in this case, I root for the underdog
Old 09-20-14, 02:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Too many Toyota Camry and Honda Accord on the road.............so in this case, I root for the underdog
If I'm rooting for the underdog, then it's going to be a Mazda6
Old 09-20-14, 04:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

In the meantime, we have the next best thing in-line from the Korean manufacturer:

The Hyundai Azera 3.0 V6
The Azera is a nice car, but, at least in the U.S., has never sold well. It gets a lot of competition from the Buick Lacrosse, Toyota Avalon, Lexus ES350, the excellent new Chevy Impala (which is light-years ahead of its Ho-Hum predecessor), and even its own corporate brother Kia Cadenza. Together, they all just keep Azera sales from ever really going anywhere, although, one of my neighbors got a new Azera a couple of months ago and loves it.
Old 09-22-14, 07:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews, per CL request: 2015 Subaru Outback, Lexus NX, and (possibly) the Lexus LX570
Old 09-22-14, 09:34 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i see comments like this a lot - damning with faint praise?

why isn't it a great buy new?

same thing isn't said here of mercedes and bmw because they're viewed as unreliable when used, so i guess hyundai's ahead in that regard.
Maybe, I'm speaking from my angle. I want a nice cheap beater and this will fit the criteria in a few years
Old 09-22-14, 09:39 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by hlee12
hope you aren't serious.
I was over exaggerating a bit but see for your self

The rears are really close, if not for the exhaust tips i'd be scratching my head

Old 09-22-14, 11:32 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Imo those look very different. The last gen Sonata had more in common with the rear of the new Genesis than this new one.
Old 09-22-14, 11:55 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

They look so totally different in person (now that I've finally seen a Genesis) that I have to disagree.
Old 09-22-14, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The rears are really close, if not for the exhaust tips i'd be scratching my head

The rear ends may be similar (as they are on a number of Hyundai sedans)....but, size-size, there's no mistaking the two. The Genesis is substantially larger....and you feel it when you are driving it and parking it (without the self-park feature).
Old 09-22-14, 06:49 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are so right. The (H) in the center makes me think they are the same

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0