Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-14, 01:05 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I love this new Genesis. Its moved upmarket in styling and the interior looks amazing for the price range. I think the one in blue above looks stunning. I never thought I would say I would lease a Hyundai ( wouldnt buy just yet)
Old 09-19-14, 06:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
thanks for the review Mike...
Anytime.

sounds like they refined the suspension this year unlike the previous years where i read it was a little rough but not terrible...
Yes...the ride was noticeably cushy, even with 40-series tires in front and 35 in the rear...something you don't see very often, especially outside of the Germans. The drive-control, of course, can adjust the settings some, but, even with it, remains refined.

Customer reviews of the previous 5.0 models I found on Edmunds and Cars.com and generally people were pretty happy with the Genesis...
Those who bought the 1Gen model primarily as a sport sedan were generally more happy with it than those who bought it like the majority of buyers probably do.....as a highway-cruiser. But Hyundai got enough complaints about the ride that they promised a cushier chassis on the 2Gen....and, from what I can tell, delivered. The trade-off, of course, is that it's not really considered a canyon-carver...and the car's large front-end size and weight also works against it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-19-14 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-19-14, 06:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I love this new Genesis. Its moved upmarket in styling and the interior looks amazing for the price range. I think the one in blue above looks stunning. I never thought I would say I would lease a Hyundai ( wouldnt buy just yet)
If you think the interior LOOKS stunning, just sit inside of it and sample the materials. All but the cheapish headliner, of course. But that really isn't that big a deal....the average owner doesn't spend much of his or her time playing touchy-feely with the roof.
Old 09-19-14, 06:16 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see you do a review of the LX 570 or Land Cruiser 200. It would be interesting to read what you think of these two vehicles. Sorry for going off topic.
Old 09-19-14, 06:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
The 5.0L Genesis V8 is a beast no doubt.
True muscle-car acceleration is only a pedal-push away. It reminded me of the performance-cars I grew up with in the late 60s.......only a heck of a lot better-built, more plush, refined, and smooth.

Probably better than the GS, which sadly doesn't even come with a V8 anymore!
It really is a LS fighter.
The 3.8L V6 version competes well with the GS in several ways, but lacks a hybrid. The 5.0L is probably closer to the LS overall. But the true LS competitor, IMO, is the Equus...the next step up the Hyundai ladder (although LexFather might disagree with me on that).

As for headliner, when I checked out the Genesis here in Oz it had the soft alcantara headliner material.
My test car didn't have that package...but, as I noted above, the headliner probably isn't that important a matter.

Finally a car that ain't about (pseudo) SPORTS this & SPORTS THAT

Perhaps it will deliver a wake up call for Lexus
Well, the 5.0 versions come with rubber-band 40 and 35-series ultra-low-profile rubber. That certainly is sporty.....but the cushy, refined chassis still seems to take a lot of the harshness out.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-19-14 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-19-14, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
I would like to see you do a review of the LX 570 or Land Cruiser 200. It would be interesting to read what you think of these two vehicles. Sorry for going off topic.

I'll keep that in mind. I did a review of the 2009 Land Cruiser, but that was several years ago.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...d-cruiser.html
Old 09-19-14, 07:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

great review as always and not surprised it was a 'wow' for you. the reviews i've seen have all been VERY favorable.

the track record of depreciation will still hurt sales some, but most cars like this are leased anyway, which i guess means the lease payments may be high (low residual), but if they're subsidized to get the product out there, the sales might be fairly good.

this new genesis sedan is not just a great value, it's a great car period.
Old 09-19-14, 08:01 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks. And it was a pleasure reviewing it.

Congratulations to your friend. I can see why he enjoys it.

And the irony is that you can spend as much (or more) on some versions of the 3-series as for this car.

One does not have to be Grandpa to enjoy a smooth, quiet ride....that's a long-standing but inaccurate stereotype. In my youth, way back in the 60s and early 70s, while I certainly enjoyed the muscle-cars of the era like any other normal teen-ager (I drove them with some gusto but also common sense), I also liked BIG American V8 luxo-cruisers like the Olds 98, Buick Electra 225, Lincoln Continental, Cadillac DeVille, Chrysler New Yorker/Imperial, etc.....I had a big Buick (used) when I was in college, and loved it.
I don't recall any kid ever getting naturally impressed with a bone jarring ride.
Old 09-19-14, 08:56 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great review as always and not surprised it was a 'wow' for you. the reviews i've seen have all been VERY favorable.

the track record of depreciation will still hurt sales some, but most cars like this are leased anyway, which i guess means the lease payments may be high (low residual), but if they're subsidized to get the product out there, the sales might be fairly good.

this new genesis sedan is not just a great value, it's a great car period.
Residual wise the new Genesis is rated quite high, one of the tops in its segment. So hopefully that will allow Hyundai to get some marketing muscle behind it and get it out on the roads.

Technology wise this video is also pretty well done.
Old 09-19-14, 09:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Thanks. It's difficult to even sit in this car, much less drive it, and not have respect for it.
Old 09-19-14, 09:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chikoo
I don't recall any kid ever getting naturally impressed with a bone jarring ride.
When I was a teenager (late 1960s), very few of my friends (or the rest of the kids I knew) cared about ride comfort or quietness......me and one close friend of mine were two exceptions. But both of us also also, like them, enjoyed the many muscle-cars of the period....as long as they were driven with common sense (which, of course, many of them weren't).

That also seems to be the case today. Most of the auto press (and younger people in general) seem more concerned with handling and acceleration than comfort. And, to an extent, it shows in many of today's cars. That's why the new Genesis shines. With the 5.0, it gives you 1960s-style muscle-car acceleration, combined with a BIG dose of refinement, quietness, and reasonably good (but not sports-sedan) handling.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-19-14 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-19-14, 09:31 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
When I was a teenager (late 1960s), very few of my friends (or the rest of kids I knew) cared about ride comfort or quietness......me and one close friend of mine were two exceptions. But both of us also also, like them, enjoyed the many muscle-cars of the period....as long as they were driven with common sense (which, of course, many of them weren't).

That also seems to be the case today. Most of the auto press (and younger people in general) seem more concerned with handling and acceleration than comfort. And, to an extent, it shows in many of today's cars. That's why the new Genesis shines. With the 5.0, it gives you 1960s-style muscle-car acceleration, combined with a BIG dose of refinement, quietness, and reasonably good (but not sports-sedan) handling.
I remember those, and even now those kids just want to make noise, and get attention. But at a personal level, as a means of travel, all of them wanted a comfortable ride. Somehow, the marketing and focus groups got confused and started making cars that do both and that does not work.
Old 09-19-14, 09:33 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it, but I can't tell the difference between the new Sonota and this. They look nearly the same to me. This will be a great buy on the used market.
Old 09-19-14, 09:55 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Nice review as always. Interior looks to be a huge improvement in design and materials. The previous gen Genesis was lacking in interior design, fit and finish, and materials. Ride and drive were not very good, it was pretty smooth but did not handle well. This new one seems to be a big improvement especially with some help by Lotus in suspension tuning. Depreciation is really bad for these cars but they do make a very intriguing used car option. You could get a used V8 genesis for about the price of a same year used V6 fwd family sedan, which is enticing as long as the reliability is good and they hold up.
Old 09-19-14, 09:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doge
I like it, but I can't tell the difference between the new Sonota and this. They look nearly the same to me.
You certainly will behind the wheel, driving one.

This will be a great buy on the used market.
Perhaps. Because some of the public is still living in the past when it comes to the Hyundai/Kia reputation, their rate of depreciation, at least to an extent, is greater than it would be if it reflected their actual level of quality and competence.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0