Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac's de Nysschen won't budge on raised pricing

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-14, 03:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Cadillac's de Nysschen won't budge on raised pricing

According to new Cadillac boss Johan de Nysschen, it will take between 10 and 15 years to elevate GM's top brand, which was once hailed as "The Standard Of The World," back to prominence in the minds of American customers. And to hear the executive talk of it, the brand is going to have to be willing to see sales falter in the near-term before they recover:

"Either you have to bring your volume aspirations into alignment with reality and accept that you will sell fewer cars... Or you have to drop the price and continue to transact at the prices where you were historically... I think the logical conclusion is that it's better to build off a very solid base in terms of [product] credibility, charge a fair price for the car and realize you have to wait until the volume comes."

In other words, sales will fall before they rise, and the brand has to be okay with that. Notice, too, that de Nysschen speaks of "a fair price" for Cadillac cars and utility vehicles. In this case, "fair" means more than many of the brand's traditional buyers are accustomed to, and roughly in line with the brands and machines Cadillac believes it is competing against. For instance, the newly enlarged 2014 CTS carries a suggested retail price that is over $6,000 higher than it was in 2013, and some trim levels boast an even higher price premium over the models they replace.

Time will tell if General Motors continues to support de Nysschen in his quest to bring Caddy up in pricing and perception to its German rivals, but at least he's being clear about the time frame and acknowledging that they are "leaving their traditional customer base" behind in the process. As the recent former head of Infiniti and a career-man at Audi before that, de Nysschen should know a thing or two about how hard it is to retrench and resurrect a damaged luxury nameplate.

Here's hoping Cadillac's upcoming range-topper is found worthy of direct comparison with the likes of the Mercedes S-Class, BMW 7 Series and Audi A8, models with which it will likely be priced directly against.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/18/c...s-de-nysschen/
Old 09-18-14, 05:32 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

We should have a poll to see where he goes after washing out of Crappylac
Old 09-18-14, 06:04 PM
Hoovey689

CTS-V, ATS-V, VSport, new RWD Flagship, possible Elmiraj coupe, reworked SRX, some good things coming that can surely elevate Cadillac once again.
Old 09-18-14, 06:26 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's nice to actually hear someone talk about a long term plan instead of quarterly results for shareholders. I do hope Cadillac succeeds, it is the only American luxury mark that has a chance of competing at the premium level some day soon.
Old 09-18-14, 06:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
It's nice to actually hear someone talk about a long term plan instead of quarterly results for shareholders. I do hope Cadillac succeeds, it is the only American luxury mark that has a chance of competing at the premium level some day soon.
well, I dont see how can they succeed with this plan when the plan isnt succeeding?
ATS and CTS are selling below expectations and they have another 4-5 years in them.

Their story when these models came out was very different. They did not plan for slow sales with new models, they planned big expansion.
Old 09-18-14, 06:51 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by T0ked
Agreed. Lincoln is barely Premium at the moment, and while there are rumors of a reworked MKS, and possible RWD coupe that's all speculation. What's not speculation is the sightings of Cadillac's true flagship and the V/VSport lines expanding. While it will take time to redirect their image, they are certainly on the right track. I wish them luck.

Also not sure if you've seen the new Escalade or CTS on the road but the vertical DRL's are so striking it (like the Lexus Spindle) makes it unmistakebly a Cadillac which I hope they embrace for the rest of the line-up
Old 09-18-14, 07:37 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Have folks seen the new Escalade ad that starts with an elephant ride and morphs to a an upscale couple taking a scenic drive, and when they arrive at a stylish home (presumably their home), the help comes out to help with the bag (other scenario, could be the home owner coming out to assist their guest)?
Old 09-18-14, 07:38 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

I wonder what he will do with the unsellable cadivolt?
Old 09-18-14, 08:17 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That is one smart man. They have to bite the bullet in volume before they can bring the brand up to the level of their competitors. Sure, they can discount their cars, but once they get into that trap they will always be expected to be lower priced than their competition. I like that he is thinking ahead, and I really hope Cadillac succeeds. If they would get rid of CUE I would consider one myself.
Old 09-18-14, 08:57 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If he can actually get GM to cut production to match actual demand I'd be impressed. They always talk about doing this, but then they claim they're beholden to supplier contracts of union contracts and keep ramping up production, etc, etc, etc.

Hope he can get the actions, and sustain them.
Old 09-19-14, 05:26 AM
GSCT
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of their pricing is insane (ELR anyone?) and their dealer experience/re-sale just sucks! It seems to me their sales declines suggest consumers agree.
Old 09-19-14, 05:52 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hats of to Johan!

Cadillac isn't perfect, they know it. Their cars aren't perfect but they are a hell of a a lot better than they were a decade ago. Their are cars are almost there! The CTS is such a gorgeous car, that front end is so beautiful and that interior is nearly there, a few more years of refinement and they'll be there.
Old 09-19-14, 05:31 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by doge
Hats of to Johan!

Cadillac isn't perfect, they know it. Their cars aren't perfect but they are a hell of a a lot better than they were a decade ago. Their are cars are almost there! The CTS is such a gorgeous car, that front end is so beautiful and that interior is nearly there, a few more years of refinement and they'll be there.
+1

Couldn't agree more

1st Gen brought us the CTS and layed the ground work
2nd Gen refined the shape and really boosted V
3rd Gen has an arsenal of powertrains, added VSport, dynamic front (love those vertical lights).
Future Caddy's are shaping to be real nice
Old 09-20-14, 12:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Good for Cadillac to stay on the pricing. I hope they do well.I still really love the XTS is so many ways.
Old 09-20-14, 12:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
CTS-V, ATS-V, VSport, new RWD Flagship, possible Elmiraj coupe, reworked SRX, some good things coming that can surely elevate Cadillac once again.
The CTS-V and ATS-V, as much as enthusiasts and those in the auto press want to see them come, are generally low-volume, niche-sales at best. Of FAR more importance will be the upcoming real flagship to replace the substandard one they have now.

Quick Reply: Cadillac's de Nysschen won't budge on raised pricing