Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2015 Lincoln Navigator

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-14, 09:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Its not just the grille, its the way they forced the angular styling on the midsection that wasn't designed for an angular car. The 2003 Navigator had a big, family grille. At that point all Lincolns had that style grille.
Old 09-17-14, 10:45 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Blackwood made the error of using expensive African woods and plush carpet for its bed. Nobody is going to buy a luxury-grade pickup and then dump a dirty or abrasive load on top of something like that......it was purely an expensive show-piece, and little else. Even the expensive, luxury Ford King Ranch and Ram Longhorn trucks know where to draw the line on bed-materials.

To my knowledge, only about 1000 Blackwoods were built, and I myself have seen only two of them....one on display at the D.C. Auto Show, and the other recently in a local grocery parking lot.
I think the Blackwood is ugly and weird. They made 3,356 per Wikipedia. There's one that parks next to me all the time at work.
Old 09-18-14, 04:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Not to hard to do when Sequoia, Armada are old as heck and Expedition is only refreshed
Nevertheless, at least GM did it.
Old 09-18-14, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I think the Blackwood is ugly and weird. They made 3,356 per Wikipedia. There's one that parks next to me all the time at work.
Thanks for the update. Initially, plans were for 1000...and I'm surprised even they were sold.
Old 09-18-14, 08:50 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Agreed, while the changes for Expedition and Navigator are pretty minimal, only major tooling to really change is like the injection mold for the plastic fascias and a bit of the interior, that's still more than Toyota is willing to do on the Sequoia. They won't even put the refreshed Tundra interior in it since it's at a separate plant and would require that supplier base to update tooling, etc.
Old 09-18-14, 02:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't disagree. It's the other three that need to step up.
Old 09-18-14, 02:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Agreed, while the changes for Expedition and Navigator are pretty minimal, only major tooling to really change is like the injection mold for the plastic fascias and a bit of the interior, that's still more than Toyota is willing to do on the Sequoia. They won't even put the refreshed Tundra interior in it since it's at a separate plant and would require that supplier base to update tooling, etc.
That is pretty disappointing that Toyota has essentially allowed the Sequoia to decay. They have no really made any upgrades to it since 2008. Even the LX and Land Cruise received significant upgrades. Perhaps they know something we don't and that is the Sequoia is on the death bed and will get eliminated.

Nevertheless, the Sequoia is pretty good and what it is supposed to do.
Old 09-18-14, 03:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That is pretty disappointing that Toyota has essentially allowed the Sequoia to decay. They have no really made any upgrades to it since 2008. Even the LX and Land Cruise received significant upgrades. Perhaps they know something we don't and that is the Sequoia is on the death bed and will get eliminated.
Probably because of the amount it would cost to redesign the interior to make it a real alternative to what we're seeing in some of its competitors. Also, Toyota doesn't seem to have a turbo V6 in the works as an alternative to the Sequoia's big 5.7L V8 for the upcoming CAFE rules...if they do, I'm not aware of it.

Nevertheless, the Sequoia is pretty good and what it is supposed to do.
If you mean hauling people and towing, then, yes, most of us would agree.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-18-14 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-18-14, 03:13 PM
Hoovey689

Probably because of the amount it would cost to redesign the interior to make it a real alternative to what we're seeing in some of its competitors. Also, Toyota doesn't seem to have a turbo V6 in the works as an alternative to the Sequoia's big 5.7L V8 for the upcoming CAFE rules...if it does, I'm not aware of it.
Toyota has enough fuel efficient cars to look the other way on that one Mike
Old 09-18-14, 06:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=Hoovey2411;8717745]Toyota has enough fuel efficient cars to look the other way on that one Mike [/quite]

More than likely the next gen Sequoia and Land Cruiser will be one vehicle. It does (NOT) make sense to have two different body on frame platforms sold in the US market. More than likely the next LS engines will be the basis for the trucks and large SUVs. Its been like that for a long time.

Edit: updated for a spelling correction.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-18-14 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-18-14, 07:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Toyota has enough fuel efficient cars to look the other way on that one Mike
Yes, they DO have a lot of fuel-sippers, but those CAFE rules are still going to hit hard when they take effect. It's probably going to be the biggest shake-up in engines and drivetrains since the early 1970s.
Old 09-18-14, 07:20 PM
Hoovey689

Yes, they DO have a lot of fuel-sippers, but those CAFE rules are still going to hit hard when they take effect. It's probably going to be the biggest shake-up in engines and drivetrains since the early 1970s.
It's the Average of the whole fleet. They can offer a 10mpg SUV if they want as long as the average meets or exceeds 54.5mpg by 2025. Will they do it? No, and there are still advances they can do to current powertrains.
Old 09-18-14, 08:20 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
That is one ugly vehicle both exterior and interior.
My thoughts exactly. Really a shame, since the original one was beauty.
Old 04-19-15, 10:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, so I have been very hard on Lincoln today, but the new updated Lincoln is beautiful IMO. I just love the styling and the way it looks. The interior design is not bad, I like the interior better than the Suburban or Yukon XL.

The back of the truck looks good too. I couldn't believe that the Nav I saw stickered for $72,250 US dollars.

For some reason, the Navigator really works for me.
Old 04-19-15, 10:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJil
The interior design is not bad, I like the interior better than the Suburban or Yukon XL.
Except for one thing........the Navigator's interior does not compete directly with the Suburban/Yukon, but with the Escalade. Gotta keep apples with apples.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2015 Lincoln Navigator