Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2015 Lincoln Navigator

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-14, 02:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
The long term reliability only really applies to the second or third owner. Most buyers of these cars don't keep them past 70k miles
I don't agree with you, Lexus and Toyota have a loyal truck and SUV following all over the world, switching to IRS would not be a good thing. It can be done but it just has to be done correctly IMO.

Also, Lexus owners especially LX owners keep their SUVs for a long time.
Old 09-17-14, 02:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
This major/minor will have to suffice until an actual redesign comes to play. That said I think this is the best Navigator to date
Minus the new wheels/tires, I'd agree.
Old 09-17-14, 02:28 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't agree with you, Lexus and Toyota have a loyal truck and SUV following all over the world, switching to IRS would not be a good thing. It can be done but it just has to be done correctly IMO.

Also, Lexus owners especially LX owners keep their SUVs for a long time.
What works for Lexus may not work for GM.
Old 09-17-14, 02:31 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There's no question the new Ram excels in comfort. I agree with that 100%. How long that smooth-riding new suspension and rear end will hold up, though, compared to previous versions, is still in the wind...these trucks are still fairly new, age-wise.
See I'd be more concerned about an IRS on a truck, where it will be hauling material and towing most of the time. However trucks like Escalade will only haul people, yes it will be used for towing boats here and there but thats it!
Old 09-17-14, 02:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

............especially considering the low number of LX's sold in the U.S. compared to the huge following the Tahoe and Suburban have.
Old 09-17-14, 03:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Well, I sort of agree. But I believe the GM twins are thebest selling full size SUVs.
Old 09-17-14, 05:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Well, I sort of agree. But I believe the GM twins are thebest selling full size SUVs.
Not to hard to do when Sequoia, Armada are old as heck and Expedition is only refreshed
Old 09-17-14, 06:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Not to hard to do when Sequoia, Armada are old as heck and Expedition is only refreshed
Not only that, but the quality of GM's large trucks and SUVs is FAR better today than before the buyout. Not that long ago, outside of the generally durable 5.7L V8 engines and transmissions, they were classic examples of cheapness inside and out, and had notoriously bad Push-and-Pray brakes that were troublesome for years.

My ex-supervisor wanted one after he retired, and, at his request, I helped him find and buy a then-new 2002 Yukon XL (Suburban). I never felt a worse set of normally-functioning power-brakes in my life...on that 3-ton-plus monster, they bordered on frightening, and I was especially careful when I test-drove it. (this is one reason why GM went bankrupt). Even his son-in-law was concerned for him driving it.......but he loved it. The service department pronounced the brakes normal for a full-size GM truck, and he took it home.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-17-14 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-17-14, 08:01 PM
Hoovey689

Not only that, but the quality of GM's large trucks and SUVs is FAR better today than before the buyout. Not that long ago, outside of the generally durable 5.7L V8 engines and transmissions, they were classic examples of cheapness inside and out, and had notoriously bad Push-and-Pray brakes that were troublesome for years.

My ex-supervisor wanted one after he retired, and, at his request, I helped him find and buy a then-new 2002 Yukon XL (Suburban). I never felt a worse set of normally-functioning power-brakes in my life...on that 3-ton-plus monster, they bordered on frightening, and I was especially careful when I test-drove it. (this is one reason why GM went bankrupt). Even his son-in-law was concerned for him driving it.......but he loved it. The service department pronounced the brakes normal for a full-size GM truck, and he took it home.
About the only thing I every liked about the generation you're talking about is the handsome truckish exterior of the Yukon
Old 09-17-14, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

About the only thing I every liked about the generation you're talking about is the handsome truckish exterior of the Yukon
Yes......even with the super-crappy brakes, its long tradition (going back to 1936) kept selling it. So did its relatively handsome looks...which you noted.

That's where the original 1Gen Navigator first got a big heads-up on Cadillac. Lincoln (correctly) figured there would be a good market for an American-badged, full-sized, truck-based, luxury-grade SUV. Cadillac, despite the wide popularity of Tahoes/Yukons, essentially got caught with their pants down, and, as a response, had to hastily do a rebadged upmarket Yukon as the 1Gen Escalade until they had time to properly design a 2Gen from scratch, using an all-new Tahoe base.

Lincoln, on the other hand, delayed getting the long-wheelbase Navigator L out until after GM had introduced the long-wheelbase Escalade ESV from the Suburban.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-17-14 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-17-14, 08:43 PM
Hoovey689

Yes......even with the super-crappy brakes, its long tradition (going back to 1936) kept selling it. So did its relatively handsome looks...which you noted.

That's where the original 1Gen Navigator first got a big heads-up on Cadillac. Lincoln (correctly) figured there would be a good market for an American-badged, full-sized, truck-based, luxury-grade SUV. Cadillac, despite the wide popularity of Tahoes/Yukons, essentially got caught with their pants down, and, as a response, had to hastily do a rebadged upmarket Yukon as the 1Gen Escalade until they had time to properly design a 2Gen from scratch, using an all-new Tahoe base.

Lincoln, on the other hand, delayed getting the long-wheelbase Navigator L out until after GM had introduced the long-wheelbase Escalade ESV from the Suburban.
The same cannot be said of an American-badged, full-sized, luxury-grade Truck ala Blackwood and Mark LT
Old 09-17-14, 08:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The same cannot be said of an American-badged, full-sized, luxury-grade Truck ala Blackwood and Mark LT
The Blackwood made the error of using expensive African woods and plush carpet for its bed. Nobody is going to buy a luxury-grade pickup and then dump a dirty or abrasive load on top of something like that......it was purely an expensive show-piece, and little else. Even the expensive, luxury Ford King Ranch and Ram Longhorn trucks know where to draw the line on bed-materials.

To my knowledge, only about 1000 Blackwoods were built, and I myself have seen only two of them....one on display at the D.C. Auto Show, and the other recently in a local grocery parking lot.
Old 09-17-14, 09:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Hideous. Unspeakably hideous.

I don't understand what Lincoln is thinking with the Navigator. My father in law had a 2003 Navigator...a vehicle I liked a lot:

I was dumbfounded when they did this to it:

Essentially its the same vehicle...but to me the 2003 looked like it could be the refresh of the 2010!

This new thing...again is still essentially the same vehicle, and better than the 2010 but a long way off. With an all new Escalade out there, and the Range Rover...this thing is a waste IMHO, even at such a price savings.
Old 09-17-14, 09:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Hideous. Unspeakably hideous.

I don't understand what Lincoln is thinking with the Navigator. My father in law had a 2003 Navigator...a vehicle I liked a lot:
The Navigator did just what many other upmarket vehicles are doing nowadays......joined the oversize-grille club. I generally don't like garish or overly-large grilles myself, but it's just something that has to be put up with nowadays if one wants a new vehicle.
Old 09-17-14, 09:38 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
That is one ugly vehicle both exterior and interior.
QFT! This truck looks extremly dated...

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2015 Lincoln Navigator