Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should I get an Evo X or Audi S4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-14, 12:19 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

EVO is not a daily driver, super harsh ride that transmits everything. Steering wheel in my opinion was hard as a rock even though it's technically leather wrapped. Cheap interior materials. From a Lexus IS, you should go for the Audi. I wouldn't wish the EVO as a daily driver on anyone.

The EVO is great as a focused sports car, but it's more of a one trick pony.
Old 09-14-14, 01:33 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Really wish they sold the A5/S5 sportback here in the US. Looks like the big, expensive A7/S7, which are 70 to 100k in this country.
Old 09-14-14, 02:40 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Really wish they sold the A5/S5 sportback here in the US. Looks like the big, expensive A7/S7, which are 70 to 100k in this country.
I hear yeah

Some even made a Facebook petition regarding that:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring...49745921734360

Hehe

But there is hope.

BMW is already selling the 4 SERIES GRAN COUPE in Stateside and Canada. Hopefully, this might convince Audi to sell the A5/S5 Sportback in the North American continent.
Old 09-14-14, 08:04 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Personally, between the two, I think the S4, though costing more. would be a far more pleasant and refined car to own as a daily driver. The Evo, especially older models, though sharp-handling, is a noisy, unrefined buzz-box with a very harsh ride over bumps that can jar the s*** out of you. In addition, Mitsubushi dealerships are notoriously few and far between......depending on where you live, you may have to go some distance to get to one. Audi dealerships, in general, are more plentiful...though still not like Ford or Chevy.
Ditto!
Old 09-15-14, 09:06 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Personally, between the two, I think the S4, though costing more. would be a far more pleasant and refined car to own as a daily driver. The Evo, especially older models, though sharp-handling, is a noisy, unrefined buzz-box with a very harsh ride over bumps that can jar the s*** out of you. In addition, Mitsubushi dealerships are notoriously few and far between......depending on where you live, you may have to go some distance to get to one. Audi dealerships, in general, are more plentiful...though still not like Ford or Chevy.
I agree with you the EVO, but there are technically more Mitsubishi dealers(~386) than Audi (~280) in the United States.
Old 09-15-14, 05:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I agree with you the EVO, but there are technically more Mitsubishi dealers(~386) than Audi (~280) in the United States.
OK....since I myself don't have the hard total numbers for each brand, I'll take your word on that on the number of dealerships. But, it seems like every time I've done a search for someone (or myself) for a Mitsu shop., in many places, it ends up being a longer drive to the nearest one than for Audi. I suspect that one of the reasons Mitsubushi's American-market sales are so low. As I said in previous threads, though, I wouldn't be surprised if they are the next brand to pack up, follow Isuzu and Suzuki's lead, and leave this market.
Old 09-21-14, 04:19 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I might end up getting an S4. Evo's aren't worth it for what they have. Still bugs me that they go for over $25K with literally nothing. I got my IS350 for $20K with 49K miles 4 years ago. I don't mind an Evo as a daily. My IS had 14/12K coils and I can feel about every imperfection on the road. Also, mufflers/secondary cats/resonators deleted so lots of noise. I become too use to it so I don't mind a stiff suspension or loudness. I do however mind not having navigation, cloth seats, no power seats, and a cheap looking interior. The Audi is a few thousand more but comes with so much more and feels more luxurious than my IS. I also do all the work on my car so it's not seeing the dealer unless it's warranty or something I don't have tools for or isn't worth buying tools. There are a few Audi dealers near me with employees I know. Also a Mitsubishi dealer real close but it's almost like a shop. I also plan to mod it even though it's a daily. The S4 with a tune and pulley upgrade reaches 450 crank! Evo would need a built motor for power over 400. And the AWD system wouldn't matter so much, anything is better than RWD with open-diff lol.

Last edited by chi123; 09-21-14 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-22-14, 07:51 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

I have an S4 and commute 95 miles a day in it. The seats are extremely supportive and super comfortable. The ride is, of course, on the firmer side, but never harsh. It's a great commuter car, and makes the drive that much more enjoyable - especially when some highway opens up in front of you.

The S4 does have the torque vectoring rear differential available which makes it handle close to a RWD car. Without it, it will tend to understeer a bit. The car's traction control will let it drift before intervening. When I autocross I actually just leave it on.

Parts on the S4 will be more expensive, however. Even compared to the IS, things just cost a bit more.
Old 09-22-14, 09:39 AM
SaleenS7
Driver

As far as mod ability goes the EVO takes the cake. They have a larger following. Much cheaper to do mods. That said the interior is terrible compared to the S4. It's geared more towards the younger crowd. If you want to mod for performance there's no question on which one to own.

The EVO is hands down the better car on the track. You'll feel more 'connected' to the car with the EVO as well.

The S4 brings a lot of luxury and performance together in a nice refined package.

They're just two very different cars though and can't fairly be compared. Personally I'd go all out and get an STI if I lived further up north.