Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anyone ever cut a lease short?

Old 09-12-14, 04:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Anyone ever cut a lease short?

Whats the least painful way to do it? I'm leasing this Mazda 3, and I'm only about 13 month into a 39 month lease - and I'm already sick of it. Trying to see if there's an easy way to get rid of it without paying all sorts of fees.
Old 09-12-14, 04:36 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Many times. I just trade it in. As long as the trade in value is more than the payoff (residual plus remaining payments) you are ok.
Old 09-12-14, 04:37 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Depends on what your lease paperwork allows for. You could list it on sites like swapalease etc and try to get someone to take it over. Or, you could get a trade in/sell bid on it and see how it compares to your lease buy out quote, likely a bit underwater on it in the first year I would imagine.
Old 09-12-14, 04:49 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will probably take a 4000 loss if you didn't put a down payment.

I'm in the similar boat to trading in the Civic for an Odyssey, but with the up side down owed on the Civic, I think

I would just lease another one and keep the Civic as beater.
Old 09-12-14, 05:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

get a quote at carmax, that's a good indication. if you go with them, they will even get all the paperwork done for you and deal with mazda lease so it's most hassle free.

changing lease is a very painful process as mazda has to approve, never easy
Old 09-12-14, 08:23 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Here in Canada, we have a service called LeaseBusters (leasebusters.com). This is from their introduction page:

LeaseBusters is very similar to an online dating service that assists people in finding the right partner except LeaseBusters promotes leased vehicles as opposed to people. The LeaseBusters model is very simple; if a leasing customer has a vehicle that they would like to get out of (regardless of the reason), LeaseBusters will find a new customer to take over the balance of the existing lease.
Find someone who is willing to take over your lease from you. I have leased for a number of years and when I have asked the dealer what I should do if I wanted to end a lease early, this is the first thing I was told: find someone to take over the lease.

The second option, that I took advantage of once, is to have the dealer buy back the car for a price that is at least as much, or greater than the value of the remaining payments on the car. I have been told that this option is usually only worth it in the 3rd year of a 4 year lease (I lease Toyotas for 4 years up here). Of course, it works for you if your car is worth something on a used car lot.

If the Mazda3 is in such high demand that people are busting the doors to get one, even a slightly used one, it may be worth trying to see if a dealer is willing to buy your 3 from you.

What's the problem with the Mazda3 that you want to get rid of it so early?
Old 09-12-14, 08:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

You'll get the most money for your car by selling it privately. Then pay off the lease and use the extra money to offset the fees.
Old 09-13-14, 12:56 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Many times. I just trade it in. As long as the trade in value is more than the payoff (residual plus remaining payments) you are ok.
This is a good way to get screwed. Most dealers are going to roll your buyout payments and fees into your new car payment.

Have you tried SwapALease.com?
Old 09-13-14, 02:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I'm leasing this Mazda 3, and I'm only about 13 month into a 39 month lease - and I'm already sick of it.
dang that's quick - why are you sick of it? you seemed quite positive when you got it.
Old 09-13-14, 03:06 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
This is a good way to get screwed. Most dealers are going to roll your buyout payments and fees into your new car payment.

Have you tried SwapALease.com?
Never been screwed so far. In fact, I've come out way ahead with this.
Old 09-13-14, 03:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
dang that's quick - why are you sick of it? you seemed quite positive when you got it.
I don't know, I just though it was a smart idea to have a beater car, but as it turns out - the beater is the one that gets driven the most, and its just missing out on all of the conveniences, comfort and fun. I've only been driving it for a year, and already tired of it. I'd like to upgrade to something cooler.
Old 09-13-14, 08:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I don't know, I just though it was a smart idea to have a beater car, but as it turns out - the beater is the one that gets driven the most, and its just missing out on all of the conveniences, comfort and fun. I've only been driving it for a year, and already tired of it. I'd like to upgrade to something cooler.
good for you. not surprisingly the 'beater' gets driven the most as it's meant to take the brunt of the 'abuse' of driving. i've spent quite a bit of time struggling with what i should get next, from econoboxes to luxury vehicles to two vehicles, etc. but like you, i've concluded i wouldn't enjoy driving something with few frills or conveniences. i even looked at a 2015 fit, which is a neat small car, but i didn't even bother to drive it once i got the feel for the interior which just seemed so cheap and funky.

obviously not everyone can afford a nice vehicle.

but if you can, life's too short to drive a cheap one.
Old 09-14-14, 04:27 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

good for you. not surprisingly the 'beater' gets driven the most as it's meant to take the brunt of the 'abuse' of driving. i've spent quite a bit of time struggling with what i should get next, from econoboxes to luxury vehicles to two vehicles, etc. but like you, i've concluded i wouldn't enjoy driving something with few frills or conveniences. i even looked at a 2015 fit, which is a neat small car, but i didn't even bother to drive it once i got the feel for the interior which just seemed so cheap and funky.

Well, if I do upgrade, its not necessarily going to be something very expensive. It's still going to be a lease, and its still going to take some beating. But the thing is, cars like IS250 and 328 are not much more expensive to lease than the Mazda, but far more pleasurable to drive. Shouldn't have cheaped out a year ago.
Old 09-14-14, 06:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
But the thing is, cars like IS250 and 328 are not much more expensive to lease than the Mazda, but far more pleasurable to drive. Shouldn't have cheaped out a year ago.
exactly... add a $100/mo to the lease and you can move up a good few notches.

i recently drove 1000 miles in a new, but base (i think) corolla. it was absolutely awful.
Old 09-14-14, 10:44 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

apart from being a luxurious drive, I am not sure what convenience the Mazda3 does not offer that a Lexus offers.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-compariso...atorId=3282634

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone ever cut a lease short?