Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Alfa Romeo Giulia (Type 952)

Old 09-12-14, 01:01 PM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alfa Romeo Giulia (Type 952)

REVEAL: 24 JUNE 2015

Date of new Alfa Romeo announced by Marchionne

Sergio Marchionne – the man who scared entire Italy when he waved Luca Cordero di Montezemolo goodbye a few days ago – has stated a date on which we can expect to see the new Alfa Romeo. And a very symbolic one at that; June 24th 2015. Yes indeed, the exact date on which the brand from Portello (and later on Arese) is to turn 105 years old. We don’t know what baffles us most; Di Montezemolo leaving Ferrari or the new Alfa being announced for halfway through 2015 already.

‘Already?’ we hear you thinking with astonishment. Of course it is long overdue, but we’re amazed that this new important Alfa should be ready by as early as June already given it is still in a very early stage of development at this moment. The first testing phase of ‘Progetto 952’ has only just been spotted, while preparations for the production in Cassino can’t have started earlier than a few weeks back. This means they’ll have their work cut out if they plan to respect this schedule. We expect that the model presented next summer will only be a concept (though a close-to-production-ready one), while the assembly line should be ready by the end of 2015.

Another way to look at it is that Marchionne had no other option than to release a date sooner or later. Even though the man loathes the announcing of exact dates, he practically had no other choice this time. Last year at a press conference he even stated that those wanting to know the date should take a look at the inside of his thigh, as that’s where the exact date was tattooed. But the big boss no longer gets away with such kinds of jokes this time around, as analysts need to start believing in the investment plan for Alfa Romeo, especially considering the IPO on Wall Street is right around the corner. A few years ago Marchionne said that they were working on Alfa Romeo at the speed of light and that 2015 was the year when we could expect the first tangible results. Seems like he wasn’t lying.

Shortened Ghibli recognizable as Alfa Romeo ‘Progetto 952’

The shortened Ghibli has again been spotted and now clearly proves this project has nothing to do with Maserati, but instead with the development of a new Alfa Romeo which was christened ‘Giulia’ by the media a long time ago already. What its actual name will be is just as secret as its design, but at least we now know for a fact that this is an Alfa Romeo in progress.

Progetto 952 is the name for the new D-segment Alfa with rear-wheel drive. The interior gives away its codename, while we also spot a skillfully built temporary center console. The 900-indication sounds like music to every Alfist’s ears as it indicates a new era in the glorious history of ‘il Biscione’. The Giulia’s predecessor – the 159 – was codenamed 939 and the Giulietta wore the number 940. A successor to the 159 was at first scheduled before the Chrysler-takeover (Progetto 944) but died an early death due to tactical reasons. The same counts for the development of a new flagship (Progetto 941).

The air vents inside the interior are exactly the same as those found in the Ghibli (though they’re positioned to the side of the car in the Maser rather than in the middle), while we notice a steering wheel that seems to be derived from the one in the Jeep Cherokee. The cover is the only thing that’s borrowed from the American D-segment SUV on Fiat’s CUSW-platform. Below the center console we spot Alfa’s DNA ‘manettino’. The front of the car shows us an entirely different air intake than the one on the Maserati, while dots on the bodywork around the grille seem to indicate the shape of a ‘Scudetto’. No doubt then that this is the D-segment Alfa Romeo and it seems to us that Fiat is not exactly trying to hide that fact from the world.

Autoedizione
Old 09-12-14, 02:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

please make this !
Old 09-13-14, 07:45 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

If I wish Alfas had a full line of cars available in the US again.
Old 09-13-14, 08:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

why is the exiting head of ferrari announcing an alfa? those crazy italians
Old 09-13-14, 08:32 PM
Hoovey689

I can't get over this. It's sexy
Old 09-13-14, 09:24 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Droolz!!!!!

Man when its time to replace my IS there are gonna be a lot of contenders! This and the XE are looking really good. I was hoping to get an Alfa Romeo Giulietta when it was announced a few years ago to replace my Saab 9-3 but they kept getting delayed. Hopefully Alfa's plans this time are for real.
Old 09-14-14, 12:45 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Joelseff
Droolz!!!!!

Man when its time to replace my IS there are gonna be a lot of contenders! This and the XE are looking really good. I was hoping to get an Alfa Romeo Giulietta when it was announced a few years ago to replace my Saab 9-3 but they kept getting delayed. Hopefully Alfa's plans this time are for real.
Let's first hope that Alfa comes back Stateside
Old 09-14-14, 06:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Let's first hope that Alfa comes back Stateside
this is likely built mainly with NA market in mind... they have little chance of selling "large" sedan in Europe, brand is almost ruined completely, dealers are in shambles.
Old 09-14-14, 02:21 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
this is likely built mainly with NA market in mind... they have little chance of selling "large" sedan in Europe, brand is almost ruined completely, dealers are in shambles.
I heard that in the UK, majority of the Alfa Romeo dealers there are known to be the most pathetic in terms of customer service.

Nevertheless, amidst all that they're facing, I hope that Alfa Romeo can get back on track in certain areas in Europe (outside of Italy).

New models are definitely needed as well as to fix their customer service reputation in markets such as the United Kingdom.
Old 09-14-14, 07:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I heard that in the UK, majority of the Alfa Romeo dealers there are known to be the most pathetic in terms of customer service.

Nevertheless, amidst all that they're facing, I hope that Alfa Romeo can get back on track in certain areas in Europe (outside of Italy).

New models are definitely needed as well as to fix their customer service reputation in markets such as the United Kingdom.
well, it is hard for these dealers to survive when brand is run so poorly... Alfa sold only 64k vehicles in Europe in 2013, and they sold 205k vehicles in 2001. Fiat is likely also strict on warranties and vehicles have a lot of issues.

It is really hard to get good, well funded dealers when you have such issues. Losing 3x of your marketshare will kill the network.
Old 09-14-14, 10:06 PM
Hoovey689

What about Alfa caused them to have such a bad image in Europe?
Old 09-15-14, 06:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

What about Alfa caused them to have such a bad image in Europe?

Same thing that strikes many other Italian designed cars...though, overall, today, they are more reliable than in the past.

Old 09-15-14, 04:13 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Same thing that strikes many other Italian designed cars...though, overall, today, they are more reliable than in the past.

It's gotta be more than just shoddy reliability though. spwolf mentioned bad dealer service and I'm sure there are more 'issues'
Old 09-15-14, 05:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

It's gotta be more than just shoddy reliability though. spwolf mentioned bad dealer service and I'm sure there are more 'issues'
reliability for sure, lowest rated brand is Fiat/Alfa... and lack of sales means dealers and brand are low on cash. Imagine if your dealer sales drop by 3x and that you had to sell all cars at huge discounts? If your dealer is losing money, they cant provide good service.

Event recently, giulietta had issues where DCT failedon almost every single one, and it required all new transmission...
Old 09-15-14, 06:30 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by spwolf
reliability for sure, lowest rated brand is Fiat/Alfa... and lack of sales means dealers and brand are low on cash. Imagine if your dealer sales drop by 3x and that you had to sell all cars at huge discounts? If your dealer is losing money, they cant provide good service.

Event recently, giulietta had issues where DCT failedon almost every single one, and it required all new transmission...
Feels like it, I know our New Car Sales sell around invoice and our Used Car Sales goes by market based pricing (also called One-Price Store). Trying to maximize volume by selling cheaper in hopes of making money on the back end (Finance) and Service and Parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alfa Romeo Giulia (Type 952)