Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NISSAN GT-R x NISMO Nurburgring lap time beats Lexus LFA

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-14, 08:24 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LFA is a disappointment in terms of putting up stats. stats are important to folks like me. let's be real. journalists can love LFA because they've driven one. whoever drove LFA probably fell in love. we all read about it. hell, clarkson (who i have zero respect for) even said LFA is the greatest ever.

but 99.9% of people won't get to own these expensive super cars. so we read about them. we watch youtube videos. we look at the stats. yes, that's what we do. we go gaga about 0-60, quarter mile, 'ring time and so on. IMO numbers are part of the discussion. number itself can connect with you. i grew up worshiping 0-60 sec. quarter miles. top seed.

it's unfortunate that LFA isn't a top performer. i'll never know how visceral it will drive because most likely i'll never own a car that costs more than 911. hell, i will never even be able to test drive any of these super cars because eh, these are super cars. i know renting a ferrari is one of my bucket list, but still. i'll never really know how these cars really feel.

so to me, LFA is somewhat disappointing. not only it's not as pretty as italians, but it doesn't put up $400k like stats. i secretly wanted this 400k LFA to do what GTR did - beating cars that cost twice more.

having said all that between LFA and GTR, i'll take 1 LFA over 100 GTR. i find GTR hideous.

Last edited by hlee12; 09-11-14 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-11-14, 09:05 PM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
For the money, I'd still rather have one LFA rather than 3 or 4 GTR's in my garage
LOL I agree. The LFA all the way for me. Built with Passion
Old 09-11-14, 09:06 PM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
rominl said it best

LFA is not about straight line speed. It evokes passion and emotional where all others fall short. Plus with only 500 it's worth far more than what they were asking. GT-R's and the like are a time a dozen.
Agreed! The LFA looks better too
Old 09-12-14, 07:59 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Twizgs
Agreed! The LFA looks better too
There are two things at work here. Exclusivity and chic vs. real world performance. The GTR is magic in the performance department and its dollar to performance quotient is far beyond the LFA. What the LFA does have is that seductive, screaming V10 exhaust note. I'd also argue that there's just as much passion in the GTR as the LFA. It certainly seems that Nissan has poured gobs of it into the car as they are continually refining and improving the car.

But if we're measuring image and exclusivity I'd still pick an Aventador over an LFA.
Old 09-12-14, 09:02 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
There are two things at work here. Exclusivity and chic vs. real world performance. The GTR is magic in the performance department and its dollar to performance quotient is far beyond the LFA. What the LFA does have is that seductive, screaming V10 exhaust note. I'd also argue that there's just as much passion in the GTR as the LFA. It certainly seems that Nissan has poured gobs of it into the car as they are continually refining and improving the car.

But if we're measuring image and exclusivity I'd still pick an Aventador over an LFA.
Let's play a matching game
Old 09-12-14, 09:42 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I see what you did there.
Old 09-12-14, 10:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hahah good one!
Old 09-12-14, 11:13 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
sure, but in that regard i would also put on the lexus fan cap and say this. lfa ring car set the record some time last year? so it's been a year since. and as mentioned, it's still unsure if this car is using street tires or as it was in a previous test, on track tires. cars are made to be faster and faster. i wouldn't be surprised if lfa beats some great sports cars like porsche gt or enzo, but it doesn't make me want those cars any less
Old 09-12-14, 11:22 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hlee12
LFA is a disappointment in terms of putting up stats.
There's one stat that the LFA can actually claim title to. At 75.1mph, the LFA still holds the highest slalom speed of any supercar that Edmunds ever tested, which goes to show the kind of handling balance engineered into this car despite the use of street tires (I imagine the Nurburgring Edition can better that record with its lower ride height and better gripping tires). It's such delicate handling balance, along with the quickest revving production V10, that sets the LFA apart from the rest of the supercars.

It doesn't take much to build a car that goes fast--just drop a highly-boosted engine, reduce weight and add AWD and you're done--but it takes a lot more engineering prowess to build a car that can actually handle as if it's an extension to the driver's will, and that's exactly what the slalom test shows.

Last edited by ydooby; 09-12-14 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-12-14, 08:14 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I've yet to see a video where LFA won ) Just this past weekend saw this
Bugatti Veyron vs Lamborghini Aventador vs Lexus LFA vs McLaren MP4-12C - Head 2 Head Episode 8 - YouTube

fun. straight line racing. hold steering wheel tightly in position, mash gas to floor.

If I wanted a straight line rush, I'd ride a rocket.
Old 09-12-14, 10:15 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'Regular' LFA's have some odd tires, same can be had on Subaru wrx's. The Nurburgring edition has bridgestone RE070 tires, featured on cars like the wrx sti and s2000cr. Theyre good but nothing like those on the Nismo. A 6 second difference over a 7 minute lap is not huge. With more time, the LFA could drop to a 7:12, 7:10 who knows! Both cars are awesome, but not really the same.
Old 09-12-14, 10:16 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

is this suppose to be surprising?
Old 09-12-14, 10:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
hahhaa i love the way you put it, andrew!

sure, but in that regard i would also put on the lexus fan cap and say this. lfa ring car set the record some time last year? so it's been a year since. and as mentioned, it's still unsure if this car is using street tires or as it was in a previous test, on track tires. cars are made to be faster and faster. i wouldn't be surprised if lfa beats some great sports cars like porsche gt or enzo, but it doesn't make me want those cars any less
If its not wearing the standard street version tires then its not fair. Even if the GTR is a little faster I dont know may who pick the GTR over the LFA. Even in a dream scenario
So if GT-R is Godzilla, LFA II must be Mothra
straight up
Old 09-12-14, 11:07 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm... I guess I'm weird. I'd take the GTR, invest $80K for AlphaOmega package good for almost 1000 whp, still have $200K+ left over for other things. To me GTR is just AWESOME, LFA is just blah. I can see why this forum is biased toward LFA so I understand. Just today I saw a modded orange GTR near Torrance and I couldn't stop looking at it.

Last edited by KA8; 09-12-14 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-13-14, 07:09 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pman6
fun. straight line racing. hold steering wheel tightly in position, mash gas to floor.

If I wanted a straight line rush, I'd ride a rocket.
That's how they test speed performance you know?!

Quick Reply: NISSAN GT-R x NISMO Nurburgring lap time beats Lexus LFA