Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ferrari CEO Quits In A Huff, Says Company Is Now 'American'

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-14, 12:41 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doge
What you say applies to regular and some luxury cars not to the very high end.

Picture this: I walk in to my neighborhood jewelry store and buy a Patek & Phillipe watch for 20k. A few months later Patek & Phillipe comes out with a cheap watch for 3k. Now the brand is diluted, most people won't know the difference however I will. Now I'm upset, I spent 20k for the name on my wrist now this brand is considered attainable . Does that make my watch any worse? No. But does that change my perception of the brand? Yes. Will I be buying another? Probably not.

The same scenario can apply to Ferrari.
Originally Posted by rominl
Infra, very interesting point and i totally respect that, although i am not sure about fully buying into it, a lot to do with what doge says.

big part why i said unless we are true owners and buyers in that segment, it's really hard for any of us to say one way or another. what makes sense to us now with what w have now can rapid change once what we have is drastically changed.

i remember one thing very vividly by my director, who is a very humble man but at the same time well into 8 figures when company went ipo. he said "you look at things one way now, but when you are millionaire, the same won't make sense anymore. when you are 100millionaire, things change again. and when you are a billionaire like our founder, it changes completely again. it doesn't mean you spend more or you become a very flashy person, but your definition of value and prefer will shift"
Let's please be clear, that I don't think anyone is saying Ferrari is going to make a $100k car. I completely agree that would degrade the brand, for the simple reason that a $100k Ferrari in no way could have the same essence shared among the DNA of their other cars. It wouldn't feel like what we've come to know as a "Ferrari".

My point is that exclusivity is derived from the value associated with the brand, colloquially using value as the idea that the car is worth the high price charge for it. An increase in production cap by no means decreases this value if the cost of the car doesn't change! If more can be sold at the same price, common sense and some simple arithmetic indicates the brand is worth more.

So anyways, doge I don't disagree with you, but I think your point is not relevant to what I was saying.

rominl, what you say may be true, but we're not talking about individuals so much as we're talking about the demographic a business is selling to. The question is whether an increase in supply will lower prices. This would only occur if demand is being met. With waiting lists of years in some cases, demand is obviously quite high. So there's a lot of room to go before demand is even close to be satiated.
Old 09-11-14, 01:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
Let's please be clear, that I don't think anyone is saying Ferrari is going to make a $100k car. I completely agree that would degrade the brand, for the simple reason that a $100k Ferrari in no way could have the same essence shared among the DNA of their other cars. It wouldn't feel like what we've come to know as a "Ferrari".

My point is that exclusivity is derived from the value associated with the brand, colloquially using value as the idea that the car is worth the high price charge for it. An increase in production cap by no means decreases this value if the cost of the car doesn't change! If more can be sold at the same price, common sense and some simple arithmetic indicates the brand is worth more.

So anyways, doge I don't disagree with you, but I think your point is not relevant to what I was saying.

rominl, what you say may be true, but we're not talking about individuals so much as we're talking about the demographic a business is selling to. The question is whether an increase in supply will lower prices. This would only occur if demand is being met. With waiting lists of years in some cases, demand is obviously quite high. So there's a lot of room to go before demand is even close to be satiated.
very well said and i think we are in agreement here (with misunderstandings). for some reason, i do read into the original article as they are trying to make more cheaper cars and make that in great volumes, something along the 100k line. so on that we both agree can be a big problem

but yeah, if today they decide to make more 458 speciale or f12 to meet demand, i think that's a good path
Old 09-11-14, 01:35 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 479 Likes on 300 Posts

It's something of a stretch to think that increasing sales from 7000 units to say 10,000 or even a few more would really dilute the brand. And it's even more of one to think that a brand selling just 7000 units, even at Ferrari's average retail price, is truly sustainable in the long term. As others have said, with the long waiting lists there's clearly room to increase production and still have demand outstrip supply.
Old 09-11-14, 02:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Fiat gives outgoing Ferrari chairman $35M severance package

Luca di Montezemolo may not have wanted to leave Ferrari this way, but don't feel too bad for the departing chairman, because he'll be hitting the ground with a golden parachute so big that he'll never have to work again.

According to the latest reports, Fiat will pay Montezemolo 26.95 million euros (nearly $35 million) in severance pay. A little more than half of that will be paid in a lump sum of 13.71 million euros ($17.7M, equivalent to five times his annual salary) on January 31, 2015, with the rest to be paid within the next 20 years.

The payment is contingent on Montezemolo not going to work for a competitor, so don't expect to see him replacing Stephan Winkelmann at Lamborghini or Wolfgang Dürheimer at Bugatti any time soon. At least not until March 2017. Of course with that much cash on hand, the 67-year-old marquis need never work again, but considering how busy he's used to keeping himself, we'd be surprised if he didn't pop up again somewhere.

Aside from his leadership of Ferrari, Montezemolo has also chaired the Fiat Group, the Formula One Teams Association, industry associations Confindustria and FIEG, a local university, a political think tank, an America's Cup sailboat racing team, the 1990 World Cup of soccer and a high-speed train network. Recent reports have linked him to ailing Italian airline Alitalia, whose leadership he could very well assume, while earlier reports suggested he could run for prime minister.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/11/f...ackage-report/
Old 09-11-14, 02:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Old 09-11-14, 02:22 PM
Hoovey689

^

Old 09-11-14, 02:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

2017, that's only 3 years
Old 09-11-14, 02:43 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by rominl
2017, that's only 3 years
In which he'll be 70. Maybe he'll have slowed down or maybe not. I know some older folks who love to pander and can't sit still
Old 09-11-14, 03:08 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
who wants a ferrari if every tom **** & harry has it????
Every tom **** & harry has a Lexus, you still bought one
Old 09-11-14, 03:14 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Only if they decide to un-cap the 7000 unit production limit
It is happening now, I love it

Thank you Marchionne
Old 09-11-14, 04:58 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by BNR34
It is happening now, I love it

Thank you Marchionne
In that case guess we'll be posting more in the Hong Kong Exotics thread
Old 09-11-14, 06:46 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Every tom **** & harry has a Lexus, you still bought one
'cuz I cannot afford a Ferrari. If I could, I wouldn't be here
Old 09-12-14, 02:53 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let us say Ferrari goes from 7.000 to 10.000, that is not a big difference for a company as Ferrari. You have to know these are driving in the same places, say Monte Carlo, where you usually see them, you won't notice if there are more or less.

If Ferrari technically builds a sports car with mid-front V6 engine, transaxle DCT, and does all the handling tuning, and then this car get an Alfa Romeo 6C badge, with exterior and interior designed by Alfa Romeo, will the Ferrari exclusivity be lost? No. Just Alfa Romeo will have better cars, what in turn will bring in more money, which can then be spend on R&D to make even better cars.

Last edited by Levi68; 09-12-14 at 02:56 AM.
Old 09-12-14, 05:33 AM
GSCT
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something no one has commented on is Ferrari's poor Formula 1 performance. Given how critical it is to Ferrari's image I'd bet it was a big factor in firing Montezelomo.
Old 09-12-14, 03:37 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GSCT
Something no one has commented on is Ferrari's poor Formula 1 performance. Given how critical it is to Ferrari's image I'd bet it was a big factor in firing Montezelomo.
Haha, yeah, this one is true. They are probably pissed off that Zee Germans keep beating them.

Quick Reply: Ferrari CEO Quits In A Huff, Says Company Is Now 'American'