Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ferrari CEO Quits In A Huff, Says Company Is Now 'American'

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-14, 04:14 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
who wants a ferrari if every tom **** & harry has it????
Worst thing you can do with your money is to buy a red Ferrari.

Ferrari doesn't need to be Lambo cause unlike Lambo they are financed by state, big difference.
Old 09-10-14, 07:05 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Point in case the LFA. Didn't make sense to many back then but because of that we have F, F-Sport, RC F, IS and GS F-Sport and soon more
No wonder FIAT did not make it to the moon yet. They are too obsessed with ROI.
Old 09-10-14, 07:51 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are all silly. Do you really think uncapping from 7,000 cars a car year will make any difference in perception of how many people are driving a Ferrari?

They'll still do limited run cars with exclusivity. But, it's completely senseless to cap every car they build. There's already not much exclusivity for a California or 458, other than that you have a lot of money. If you're used to seeing these cars around (I see one every time I go shopping. Or a McClaren, or a Lamborghini, or an Aston, or whatever), this will make little difference.
Old 09-10-14, 08:25 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
You are all silly. Do you really think uncapping from 7,000 cars a car year will make any difference in perception of how many people are driving a Ferrari?

They'll still do limited run cars with exclusivity. But, it's completely senseless to cap every car they build. There's already not much exclusivity for a California or 458, other than that you have a lot of money. If you're used to seeing these cars around (I see one every time I go shopping. Or a McClaren, or a Lamborghini, or an Aston, or whatever), this will make little difference.
It's just the typical internet whining. See Cayenne introduction, "dilution" of MB of Audi/BMW/MB as they offer cheaper models in the US, etc. Any time a manufacturer increases their bandwidth everyone goes nuts.
Old 09-10-14, 10:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
It's just the typical internet whining. See Cayenne introduction, "dilution" of MB of Audi/BMW/MB as they offer cheaper models in the US, etc. Any time a manufacturer increases their bandwidth everyone goes nuts.
the overall number might not tell but i know there are effect on some of the owners. fact is when lamborghini pushing for gallardo, a lot of murce owners weren't very happy and it was quite a fight until things settle. yes more lamborghini owners now for sure, but the instability was there

same thing with some sl owners. i personally know two who used to be very into sl amg, but the more they saw slk and other low end mb, they gave up and moved on to other more exclusive brands. again, big picture it probably doesn't affect mb, but in my eyes? mb is not as prestige as they were in the past anymore

and funny thing is in the isf forum you see bunch of owners enjoying how there are "not many" isf around and they enjoy the exclusivity.

imho until any of us are real true owners of these cars, everything said on the internet is a fair game, nothing is more (or less) of a whine than the other
Old 09-11-14, 12:43 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the overall number might not tell but i know there are effect on some of the owners. fact is when lamborghini pushing for gallardo, a lot of murce owners weren't very happy and it was quite a fight until things settle. yes more lamborghini owners now for sure, but the instability was there

same thing with some sl owners. i personally know two who used to be very into sl amg, but the more they saw slk and other low end mb, they gave up and moved on to other more exclusive brands. again, big picture it probably doesn't affect mb, but in my eyes? mb is not as prestige as they were in the past anymore

and funny thing is in the isf forum you see bunch of owners enjoying how there are "not many" isf around and they enjoy the exclusivity.

imho until any of us are real true owners of these cars, everything said on the internet is a fair game, nothing is more (or less) of a whine than the other
Yes I've noticed this with IS F owners too
Old 09-11-14, 03:52 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overreaction. The problem of Ferrari is not allowing other Fiat brands, to use know how of Ferrari, note Fiat got brain drained, all went to Ferrari. If Ferrari build 10K vehicle a year and sells the for the same price, will Ferrari get less exclusive? Diluting Ferrari would be building a sedan or a SUV. Diluting Maserati is building them with Diesel engines and more engine choices per model, but not increasing the portfolio. Montemozolo was being to egoistic about the Ferrari brand, and the last ones don't even look good, they all have the same front. Marchionne on the other hand has no idea what the brands stand for. For me all at the head of FCA are morrons. Seriously. My favourite brand is Alfa Romeo, the best sports car brand is Ferrari. How come I want an RC-F, and the LFA is better than any Ferrari ever?
Old 09-11-14, 04:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

fact is when lamborghini pushing for gallardo, a lot of murce owners weren't very happy and it was quite a fight until things settle. yes more lamborghini owners now for sure, but the instability was there
all 20 murce owners you mean? give them some fine cheese to go with that whine.

brands expand, brands change, models change... many just don't like change.

ferrari could easily double production and it would have no effect on their image and revenue because the number today is so tiny.
Old 09-11-14, 07:50 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Levi68
Overreaction. The problem of Ferrari is not allowing other Fiat brands, to use know how of Ferrari, note Fiat got brain drained, all went to Ferrari. If Ferrari build 10K vehicle a year and sells the for the same price, will Ferrari get less exclusive? Diluting Ferrari would be building a sedan or a SUV. Diluting Maserati is building them with Diesel engines and more engine choices per model, but not increasing the portfolio. Montemozolo was being to egoistic about the Ferrari brand, and the last ones don't even look good, they all have the same front. Marchionne on the other hand has no idea what the brands stand for. For me all at the head of FCA are morrons. Seriously. My favourite brand is Alfa Romeo, the best sports car brand is Ferrari. How come I want an RC-F, and the LFA is better than any Ferrari ever?
Marchionne has an exact idea of what the FCA brands stand for. You can read this for more insight. In particular, each section's brand name is a link to an investor presentation describing EXACTLY what each brand is.
Old 09-11-14, 07:59 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

You're describing finicky buyers who don't really have any brand loyalty and base a purchase not on the merits of the car but on the level of jealously with which people will look upon them. I do not think this is the type of buyer any brand is chasing after. It's nice to get a few of these, sure, but the way to do that is to be like Lamborghini and only build 3 and charge a few million for them. Buyers like that are pretty easy to manipulate. Remember the "I am rich" iPhone app? It did nothing, cost a hundred bucks, and yet people still bought it. It's building brand loyalty that is difficult, and the brand loyalty is 100% what leads to the brand value.

The point is, exclusivity can't exist without desirability, and desirability is driven by loyalty. Look at the Viper. It's quite exclusive as hardly anyone is buying them. But of course that doesn't translate into sales, as there's no desirability. The customer loyalty isn't there to trust that the car is worth $100k, considering a new Stringray is half the price for a base and 75% for the Z06.
Old 09-11-14, 08:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

really interesting article infra. not sure about the 'exact' idea, since the article's conclusion says FCA may be position Ferrari to be sold (wouldn't surprise me) and perhaps that disgruntled chairman/ceo left due to not wanting to be a part of that.
Old 09-11-14, 08:12 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're describing finicky buyers who don't really have any brand loyalty and base a purchase not on the merits of the car but on the level of jealously with which people will look upon them. I do not think this is the type of buyer any brand is chasing after. It's nice to get a few of these, sure, but the way to do that is to be like Lamborghini and only build 3 and charge a few million for them. Buyers like that are pretty easy to manipulate. Remember the "I am rich" iPhone app? It did nothing, cost a hundred bucks, and yet people still bought it. It's building brand loyalty that is difficult, and the brand loyalty is 100% what leads to the brand value.

The point is, exclusivity can't exist without desirability, and desirability is driven by loyalty. Look at the Viper. It's quite exclusive as hardly anyone is buying them. But of course that doesn't translate into sales, as there's no desirability. The customer loyalty isn't there to trust that the car is worth $100k, considering a new Stringray is half the price for a base and 75% for the Z06.
What you say applies to regular and some luxury cars not to the very high end.

Picture this: I walk in to my neighborhood jewelry store and buy a Patek & Phillipe watch for 20k. A few months later Patek & Phillipe comes out with a cheap watch for 3k. Now the brand is diluted, most people won't know the difference however I will. Now I'm upset, I spent 20k for the name on my wrist now this brand is considered attainable . Does that make my watch any worse? No. But does that change my perception of the brand? Yes. Will I be buying another? Probably not.

The same scenario can apply to Ferrari.
Old 09-11-14, 10:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
What you say applies to regular and some luxury cars not to the very high end.

Picture this: I walk in to my neighborhood jewelry store and buy a Patek & Phillipe watch for 20k. A few months later Patek & Phillipe comes out with a cheap watch for 3k. Now the brand is diluted, most people won't know the difference however I will. Now I'm upset, I spent 20k for the name on my wrist now this brand is considered attainable . Does that make my watch any worse? No. But does that change my perception of the brand? Yes. Will I be buying another? Probably not.

The same scenario can apply to Ferrari.

Infra, very interesting point and i totally respect that, although i am not sure about fully buying into it, a lot to do with what doge says.

big part why i said unless we are true owners and buyers in that segment, it's really hard for any of us to say one way or another. what makes sense to us now with what w have now can rapid change once what we have is drastically changed.

i remember one thing very vividly by my director, who is a very humble man but at the same time well into 8 figures when company went ipo. he said "you look at things one way now, but when you are millionaire, the same won't make sense anymore. when you are 100millionaire, things change again. and when you are a billionaire like our founder, it changes completely again. it doesn't mean you spend more or you become a very flashy person, but your definition of value and prefer will shift"
Old 09-11-14, 11:15 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

significant entry to barriers are generally how the society works, at least on the affluent side.
Your lifestyle, and your purchasing decisions reflect your appetite for risk, which is required in most high growth money maker clubs. Not saying somebody who drives a Camry does not, but that person will have to prove his risk appetite in different forms. Buying exclusive suits, automobiles, watches, jewelry, mansions is one definite way. So if Ferrari becomes a readily available car, these folks will find something else. Ferrari might start eating into Mercedes, et al and keep earning or even more, but it's spot will be lost.
For example, Rock & Republic Premium denim jeans were the staple of hollywood or other high society women (retailed over $250 a pair). But it cashed out and sold itself to Kohls. Now you see nobody of interest wearing them.
Old 09-11-14, 11:52 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Looking at the title, my initial impression was Michelle Yeoh's fiance they are talking about

Quick Reply: Ferrari CEO Quits In A Huff, Says Company Is Now 'American'