Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ferrari CEO Quits In A Huff, Says Company Is Now 'American'

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-14, 11:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Ferrari CEO Quits In A Huff, Says Company Is Now 'American'

http://www.jalopnik.com/ferrari-chai...ium=socialflow

Ferrari CEO Quits In A Huff, Says Company Is Now 'American'

After clashing with Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne, Montezemolo put an end to his 23-year career, stepping down as Chairman of Ferrari, as Fiat head Sergio Marchionne steps into the role.

Luca Cordero di Montezemolo was appointed as President of Ferrari in 1991 by Fiat Chairman Gianni Agnelli after the company started to struggle finding its way forward following Enzo Ferrari's death in 1988.

Montezemolo led Scuderia Ferrari since 1974 and justified Agnelli's decision by winning the Formula 1 Championship again nine years later after a 21-year cold streak, while turning Ferrari's road car division around and into a sale success. Scuderia Ferrari took five consecutive titles under driver Michael Schumacher while the brand's revenue went up 10-fold and sales more than tripled.

Yet with Ferrari's F1 team returning lackluster results in recent years and Marchionne clashing with Montezemolo on Ferrari's future strategy, this era in the company's history had to come to an end.

Instead of keeping Montezemolo's annual production limit at 7,000 cars to retain Ferrari's exclusivity, Marchionne is planning to turn the prancing horse into a luxury brand that can compete more with Volkswagen AG's expanding Lamborghini in terms of sales grwoth and is more involved with Fiat Chrysler's products and technologies as opposed to being mostly independent as it is today.1

Bloomberg reports Montezelomo's response was:

Ferrari is now American, which represents the end of an era.
Marchionne stated:
Discussions over Ferrari's future and its racing potential led to misunderstandings which became clearly visible over the last weekend. I want to thank Luca for all he has done for Fiat, for Ferrari and for me personally.
Old 09-10-14, 11:24 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Instead of keeping Montezemolo's annual production limit at 7,000 cars to retain Ferrari's exclusivity, Marchionne is planning to turn the prancing horse into a luxury brand that can compete more with Volkswagen AG's expanding Lamborghini in terms of sales grwoth and is more involved with Fiat Chrysler's products and technologies as opposed to being mostly independent as it is today
Crikey! I find this disturbing
Old 09-10-14, 11:40 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I would take that with a grain of salt. Remember Maserati is in the mix as well. I think Marchionne will be making more purposeful grand tourers though with the Ferrari name though...in the vein of the FF model, but better executed.
Old 09-10-14, 11:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Crikey! I find this disturbing
just few months ago we talked about how california shouldn't even be under ferrari.

ferrari and volume shouldn't be in the same sentence period
Old 09-10-14, 12:07 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

This may be an ignorant response but as a Fiat stockholder, wouldn't restricting production to such a low number ultimately also restrict revenue?

I have to imagine selling a few more cars per year at high profit margins will increase profit/revenue while maybe only slightly effecting exclusivity.

I know Ferrari fans like the fact that they only make a few thousand per year, but it is a business after all.
At the end of the day, stockholders always want a better ROI.

Just my $.02
Old 09-10-14, 12:16 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
just few months ago we talked about how california shouldn't even be under ferrari.

What's funny is that the California was originally developed to be a Maserati.
Old 09-10-14, 12:37 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
This may be an ignorant response but as a Fiat stockholder, wouldn't restricting production to such a low number ultimately also restrict revenue?

I have to imagine selling a few more cars per year at high profit margins will increase profit/revenue while maybe only slightly effecting exclusivity.

I know Ferrari fans like the fact that they only make a few thousand per year, but it is a business after all.

Just my $.02
That applies to lesser brands such as fiat/chyrco... Ferrari is different animal, they're in the high end luxury. In this case exclusivity adds value to the car and therefor the brand. This means Ferrari can charge more while making less cars.
Old 09-10-14, 12:47 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

YES I am so happy!!

1, What we learn is, disagreeing with the boss have only one outcome. The boss always win.

2, I am loving the direction of a volume luxury brand, because I am poor, this would drive the prices down, especially resale value, hell YES, so I can own one someday soon. If I win the lotto jackpot tomorrow, I would want it to be an exclusive brand to keep the price up, but there is always Pagani or the hyper series LaF, that will never be cheap.
Old 09-10-14, 01:30 PM
Hoovey689

I have no problem with the California, it pays homage to the 250 GT California Spyder

Agreed, keep it exclusive.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 09-10-14 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-10-14, 01:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TangoRed
What's funny is that the California was originally developed to be a Maserati.
and one would wonder why it ended up under ferrari

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I have no problem with the California, it pays homage to the 250 GT California Spyder

Agreed. Keep it exclusive.
but the california price point makes it more "readily available", not a good thing for the brand
Old 09-10-14, 01:52 PM
Hoovey689

but the california price point makes it more "readily available", not a good thing for the brand
Only if they decide to un-cap the 7000 unit production limit
Old 09-10-14, 02:23 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb

Just my $.02
Sometimes it is not always about ROI.
Old 09-10-14, 02:24 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BNR34
YES I am so happy!!

1, What we learn is, disagreeing with the boss have only one outcome. The boss always win.

2, I am loving the direction of a volume luxury brand, because I am poor, this would drive the prices down, especially resale value, hell YES, so I can own one someday soon. If I win the lotto jackpot tomorrow, I would want it to be an exclusive brand to keep the price up, but there is always Pagani or the hyper series LaF, that will never be cheap.
who wants a ferrari if every tom **** & harry has it????
Old 09-10-14, 02:28 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by chikoo
who wants a ferrari if every tom **** & harry has it????
Like a GT-R?
Old 09-10-14, 02:29 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by chikoo
Sometimes it is not always about ROI.

Point in case the LFA. Didn't make sense to many back then but because of that we have F, F-Sport, RC F, IS and GS F-Sport and soon more

Quick Reply: Ferrari CEO Quits In A Huff, Says Company Is Now 'American'