Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Lexus SUV Series: RX350 F SPORT

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-14, 01:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but that means the 4RX is going to go up a chunk in price.

having recently poured over a loaded highlander (not the same of course), i was quite disappointed in many details and cheap plastics or missing features. you can't get HIDs or LEDs (front or back) on any trim level for example. i think toyota is struggling to meet price points but of course their reputation is so fantastic and strong that they're going to continue to sell tons of vehicles as most people don't sweat the details like enthusiasts here do.
imho price has become a very stressful problem for japanese carmakers, especially toyota. japanese cars used to be huge value, but with the exchange rate and other factors, that competitive advantage is quickly shrinking imho. and yes, not just lexus but even toyota side is seeing that as you pointed out

imho both the 4rx and 3gx can grow in price. assume nx starts at 30, a loaded one can be around low 40s. so maybe the 4rx can grow in size and features and start at 45 (instead of 40), BUT start to offer come overlap against the current gx like 7 seat option. the car won't be as hardcore off-road as the gx, but more versatile, and while it cost more than the current rx, it will cost less than the current gx. i think that can capture the market better. at the same time, current gx has a 35-40k price gap from the lx. so the 3gx can possible evolve a bit more too if the cheaper 4rx is helping to take up some customers
Old 09-16-14, 06:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
imho price has become a very stressful problem for japanese carmakers, especially toyota. japanese cars used to be huge value, but with the exchange rate and other factors, that competitive advantage is quickly shrinking imho. and yes, not just lexus but even toyota side is seeing that as you pointed out

imho both the 4rx and 3gx can grow in price. assume nx starts at 30, a loaded one can be around low 40s. so maybe the 4rx can grow in size and features and start at 45 (instead of 40), BUT start to offer come overlap against the current gx like 7 seat option. the car won't be as hardcore off-road as the gx, but more versatile, and while it cost more than the current rx, it will cost less than the current gx. i think that can capture the market better. at the same time, current gx has a 35-40k price gap from the lx. so the 3gx can possible evolve a bit more too if the cheaper 4rx is helping to take up some customers
And society sees this, but after 25 years I feel Lexus has rightfully earned being able to build and price cars like Jaguar, Benz, BMW and Audi. Value is something you need when you're not established. This is why Hyundai must continue that path for now.

I'm fully for more F's (LS F, SC F, GS F, IS F), LS's that start in the $90K's, new SC in the 6 digits, joining the hp wars etc.. time to ELEVATE !
Old 09-17-14, 12:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
And society sees this, but after 25 years I feel Lexus has rightfully earned being able to build and price cars like Jaguar, Benz, BMW and Audi. Value is something you need when you're not established. This is why Hyundai must continue that path for now.

I'm fully for more F's (LS F, SC F, GS F, IS F), LS's that start in the $90K's, new SC in the 6 digits, joining the hp wars etc.. time to ELEVATE !
yes, i think it's ok for lexus to raise the value, but at the same time they have to offer something more to "justify" it. just the 25 yrs i am not sure if that's enough, at least imho the market is not responding that way.
Old 09-17-14, 01:12 AM
Hoovey689

yes, i think it's ok for lexus to raise the value, but at the same time they have to offer something more to "justify" it. just the 25 yrs i am not sure if that's enough, at least imho the market is not responding that way.
Let's see how close the RC and NX are sold to MSRP vs Invoice. When the 3IS was released it was selling at invoice and Lexus flooded the market. I get they are after volume but it's a new car for crying out loud. No point of a window sticker if they don't go, almost admitting hey our car isn't worth the asking price but hey you're getting one hell of a deal
Old 09-17-14, 10:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Let's see how close the RC and NX are sold to MSRP vs Invoice. When the 3IS was released it was selling at invoice and Lexus flooded the market. I get they are after volume but it's a new car for crying out loud. No point of a window sticker if they don't go, almost admitting hey our car isn't worth the asking price but hey you're getting one hell of a deal
it's all speculations, but i heard from lexus people that the 3is didn't really have a strong case at msrp, that's why very early on they had to sell at invoice already in order to move volume (before the new car loses traction). of course, the ever so strong 3 series wasn't helping
Old 09-17-14, 10:51 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I think Lexus is more than ready to offer more F's such as the IS F, RC F, GS F, LS F and SC F. There's an article in the October issue of Automobile magazine telling the story of the big three Japanese auto manufacturer (Toyota, Honda & Nissan), mostly Lexus and Infiniti and how they changed the luxury automotive world and how the German's just snub the Japanese. It's a very interesting article...
Old 09-17-14, 11:44 AM
Hoovey689

it's all speculations, but i heard from lexus people that the 3is didn't really have a strong case at msrp, that's why very early on they had to sell at invoice already in order to move volume (before the new car loses traction). of course, the ever so strong 3 series wasn't helping
With the less premium plastics I'd have to agree, but that just it then. While they were gunning for a price point, this is a Luxury make, honestly skies the limit. If you want to build a $50K IS then build it worth that amount, don't give us a $42K car. For what it's worth the after our boards set fire last year, Lexus listened and from MY14 to MY15 they gave us NuLuxe with ventilation, LED fogs, improved interior plastics/coating. I applaud Lexus for not ignoring our requests.

Originally Posted by Trexus
I think Lexus is more than ready to offer more F's such as the IS F, RC F, GS F, LS F and SC F. There's an article in the October issue of Automobile magazine telling the story of the big three Japanese auto manufacturer (Toyota, Honda & Nissan), mostly Lexus and Infiniti and how they changed the luxury automotive world and how the German's just snub the Japanese. It's a very interesting article...
Yeah I read that one last week. Our dealer gets Automobile, Motortrend and Car and Driver sent to us. And it goes hand in hand with a thread I posted over a year ago about Unequal Automakers and a notion of European supremacy because of a badge vs Asian and American makes.