Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Lexus SUV Series: RX350 F SPORT

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-14, 04:41 PM
John Coyle
CL Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 Lexus SUV Series: RX350 F SPORT

Most people recall how the first LS400 shocked the luxury-car world back in 1989, and how the LFA demonstrated Lexus' ability in building a supercar, but not too many realize the impact of the introduction of the RX300 back in 1999. SUV popularity was booming at the time and everyone in the luxury segment was trying to take a bite. BMW was scrambling on the X5 and Mercedes just came out with the ML the year before. Lexus had the LX450, but the price premium made it less desirable.

Read the rest on the Club Lexus homepage.
Old 09-09-14, 09:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

excellent review. i've been several times in a new (non f-sport) rx and while it's nice, it's definitely showing its age.

interior is lacking by today's standards, and there was more road noise than i would have expected.

it's still a comfortable, functional, and stylish vehicle though that of course is likely to be extremely reliable and have great resale value, so it's still a good buy for many.
Old 09-10-14, 06:35 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Great write up.

We have a '13 RX and love it far more than we ever thought we would. With that said, we absolutely cannot wait to see what Lexus comes up with for the 4th gen. I have high expectations for it.
Old 09-10-14, 09:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Great write up.

We have a '13 RX and love it far more than we ever thought we would. With that said, we absolutely cannot wait to see what Lexus comes up with for the 4th gen. I have high expectations for it.
I think the next gen RX is going to be spectacular. The current one looks amazing with the new front end. I wasn't a fan of the non spindle front end.
Old 09-10-14, 08:33 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Nice to see a review from a Lexus buff that is not all praise for the vehicle. An honest, down-to-earth review, which as a nearly 2-year RX F-Sport owner, I can relate to mostly...

Just a some comments.

1. The RX F-Sport is actually 4500 lbs so considering the acceleration, it's not too bad. 4200 lbs is base FWD.

2. I found a noticeable difference in ride comfort (firmer) and body roll (nearly flat) in my F-Sport compared to the regular RX AWD with 19in wheels. Where the difference is barely noticeable is on ultimate grip and that's unfortunately due to the same 235 A/S rubber. The F-Sport needs wider/grippier rubber to increase the handling distinction.

3. The 8-speed in M-Mode using the paddle shifters increases the level of engagement and fun. For comparison, I find the shifts no slower (or quicker) than my 3IS when paddle shifting, and similarly when downshifting. Shifts are also very smooth. It's no ISF or LFA, but adequate for the nature of the vehicle. In D-mode, I do find 1st gear too short. There's a lunge above 1500 rpm similar to turbo lag initially and turbo kick-in at that rpm. Similar throttle input and acceleration in my IS is more snappy at the line and more linear in power with a lower shift-point. In short, driving in D stepping off the line is my least favorite and reminds me of Honda trannys of past, but easily mitigated driving in M-mode and manually choosing to shift earlier or later when one wants to.
Old 09-11-14, 12:09 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

The review was ok. One has to remember the current 3RX is nearing the end of it's cycle and may not be up to par with it's competitors in overall technology but definitely trumps everyone in reliability. With it's 270hp and 248 lb-ft engine, it's sufficient, could it use more power, sure. One has to remember the RX is not an LFA just as corradoMR2 has mentioned. The RX was the first to bring to market a luxury hybrid CUV with the RX 400h and continues on with the RX 450h. Currently the RX outsells any competitor in it's class. I like and understand the RX for what it is.

With the NX about to make it's debut, how will this affect RX sales? It's hard to say and we'll have to wait and see. When the IS debuted, sales of the ES actually increased. Maybe RX sales could increase as well with the NX debut but it can also decrease or stay the same...

I'm very curious if the reviewer of the 2014 RX F Sport would ever consider purchasing one? I for one would...

Last edited by Trexus; 09-11-14 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-15-14, 11:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Great write up.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think the next gen RX is going to be spectacular. The current one looks amazing with the new front end. I wasn't a fan of the non spindle front end.
personally i am very excited. especially since i have been driving the new nx as well, which will be the new entry level crossover, it set the standard really high imho so i am very anxious to see just how good the next rx will be

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
excellent review. i've been several times in a new (non f-sport) rx and while it's nice, it's definitely showing its age.

interior is lacking by today's standards, and there was more road noise than i would have expected.

it's still a comfortable, functional, and stylish vehicle though that of course is likely to be extremely reliable and have great resale value, so it's still a good buy for many.
yes, from a functional and value point of view, the rx is holding its place well. to me that's the biggest reason why the car is selling so well, with numbers still crushing others

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Nice to see a review from a Lexus buff that is not all praise for the vehicle. An honest, down-to-earth review, which as a nearly 2-year RX F-Sport owner, I can relate to mostly...

Just a some comments.

1. The RX F-Sport is actually 4500 lbs so considering the acceleration, it's not too bad. 4200 lbs is base FWD.

2. I found a noticeable difference in ride comfort (firmer) and body roll (nearly flat) in my F-Sport compared to the regular RX AWD with 19in wheels. Where the difference is barely noticeable is on ultimate grip and that's unfortunately due to the same 235 A/S rubber. The F-Sport needs wider/grippier rubber to increase the handling distinction.

3. The 8-speed in M-Mode using the paddle shifters increases the level of engagement and fun. For comparison, I find the shifts no slower (or quicker) than my 3IS when paddle shifting, and similarly when downshifting. Shifts are also very smooth. It's no ISF or LFA, but adequate for the nature of the vehicle. In D-mode, I do find 1st gear too short. There's a lunge above 1500 rpm similar to turbo lag initially and turbo kick-in at that rpm. Similar throttle input and acceleration in my IS is more snappy at the line and more linear in power with a lower shift-point. In short, driving in D stepping off the line is my least favorite and reminds me of Honda trannys of past, but easily mitigated driving in M-mode and manually choosing to shift earlier or later when one wants to.
great feedback, thanks for the details! i didn't know the rx f sport is that much heavier, but i think it makes sense on the acceleration in that case

i personally think if lexus can choose some better tires for the rx (no matter f sport or not), it's going to make the car better. like i said in the review, i couldn't even attempt to push the car much before the tires completely gave up. and i wasn't even driving aggressively at all yet, i drive more aggressive in my gx and it's still hanging

Originally Posted by Trexus
The review was ok. One has to remember the current 3RX is nearing the end of it's cycle and may not be up to par with it's competitors in overall technology but definitely trumps everyone in reliability. With it's 270hp and 248 lb-ft engine, it's sufficient, could it use more power, sure. One has to remember the RX is not an LFA just as corradoMR2 has mentioned. The RX was the first to bring to market a luxury hybrid CUV with the RX 400h and continues on with the RX 450h. Currently the RX outsells any competitor in it's class. I like and understand the RX for what it is.

With the NX about to make it's debut, how will this affect RX sales? It's hard to say and we'll have to wait and see. When the IS debuted, sales of the ES actually increased. Maybe RX sales could increase as well with the NX debut but it can also decrease or stay the same...

I'm very curious if the reviewer of the 2014 RX F Sport would ever consider purchasing one? I for one would...
the gx was also debut in 2010, same model year as the rx, but i think that car, while lacking, was updated pretty nicely with this year's refresh. driving was improved together with other amenities. actually with my gx review that's due to come out very soon, you can see that car gets pretty nice praise.

and the nx is exactly what makes the rx look bad and outdated imho. i have been driving the nx for a week, imho the car beats the rx is almost every aspect except size. that's why i said i have great hope on the next rx. but selling good has little to do with actually how good the car might be right? tons of people buy the 3 series and e class, but we all read plenty of complaints and bad things about those cars here. for sure i don't imagine the rx being lfa, but to me any car can and should have its own characteristic and fun level. the nx does, big time.

and i don't see what a review has to do with whether one would purchase the car or not. i like the 2014 isf a lot but i would not consider it. i love the new nx but i wouldn't consider it.
Old 09-15-14, 04:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Currently one plus about the RX is that it uses Regular 87 octane fuel (Hybrid is 91 recommended). It has more cabin and engine noise than the 2nd gen (Bad parts of L-Finesse generations cost cutting). Super excited to see the 4RX
Old 09-15-14, 05:37 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4RX coming in August 2015
Old 09-15-14, 05:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Currently one plus about the RX is that it uses Regular 87 octane fuel (Hybrid is 91 recommended).
didn't know that... that makes the case for the hybrid even weaker.

quick math...

rx450h is 30mpg (premium) combined
rx350 is 21mpg (regular) combined (i'm surprised it's that low, but anyway)
here in FL premium is about 15% more expensive than regular.

rx450h range is 522mi for 17.4 gallons (tank size) at about $3.70/gallon here = $64.38 or 12.3c / mi.

rx350 range is 403mi for 19.2 gallons at about $3.25/gallon here = $62.40 or 15.5c / mi.

so while the rx gets over 40% better fuel economy, it saves about 25% on fuel costs. so if you spend say $300 a month on fuel with an rx, you'd save $75 a month with the rxh, or $900 a year. so if you spent $3600 more for the hybrid for example, it would take 4 years to break even. or 3 years if you would spend $500/mo. on an rx. bit of a tough sell. but you do get to drive silently around parking lots.
Old 09-15-14, 06:33 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
didn't know that... that makes the case for the hybrid even weaker.

quick math...

rx450h is 30mpg (premium) combined
rx350 is 21mpg (regular) combined (i'm surprised it's that low, but anyway)
here in FL premium is about 15% more expensive than regular.

rx450h range is 522mi for 17.4 gallons (tank size) at about $3.70/gallon here = $64.38 or 12.3c / mi.

rx350 range is 403mi for 19.2 gallons at about $3.25/gallon here = $62.40 or 15.5c / mi.

so while the rx gets over 40% better fuel economy, it saves about 25% on fuel costs. so if you spend say $300 a month on fuel with an rx, you'd save $75 a month with the rxh, or $900 a year. so if you spent $3600 more for the hybrid for example, it would take 4 years to break even. or 3 years if you would spend $500/mo. on an rx. bit of a tough sell. but you do get to drive silently around parking lots.
Yessir, CT, ES, ESh, RX and defunct HS are all rated for 87 Octane by Lexus which is a good selling point, everything else is Premium.

Don't forget you get to brag about having 25 more (combined) horsepower than the standard ICE
Old 09-15-14, 09:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Currently one plus about the RX is that it uses Regular 87 octane fuel (Hybrid is 91 recommended). It has more cabin and engine noise than the 2nd gen (Bad parts of L-Finesse generations cost cutting). Super excited to see the 4RX
very good point, some new lexus now allows regular (officially). and thank you for agreeing me on the somewhat degraded 3rd gen

Originally Posted by BornDriver
4RX coming in August 2015
that's close to what i heard too
Old 09-16-14, 01:10 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by rominl
very good point, some new lexus now allows regular (officially). and thank you for agreeing me on the somewhat degraded 3rd gen
3RX is a mixed bag for me. It has far better handling and agility than the 2RX ever had, loads of tech and safety, unfortunately like most L-Finesse models (sub LS and built or introduced 2006-2010) suffer from cheap plastics. The louder cabin gives it more of a Premium feel than actual Luxury which the 2RX was more vault like. Missing features like rear pass controls, lift gate height control (things that can be found on a loaded Pathfinder) to name a few things is unacceptable. That's not to say its a bad vehicle because its not, it just could be far better. Thankfully with the addition of the NX the RX no longer has to straddle two segments and can rightfully grow. With their recent offerings I expect the 4RX to be a homerun
Old 09-16-14, 10:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

3RX is a mixed bag for me. It has far better handling and agility than the 2RX ever had, loads of tech and safety, unfortunately like most L-Finesse models (sub LS and built or introduced 2006-2010) suffer from cheap plastics. The louder cabin gives it more of a Premium feel than actual Luxury which the 2RX was more vault like. Missing features like rear pass controls, lift gate height control (things that can be found on a loaded Pathfinder) to name a few things is unacceptable. That's not to say its a bad vehicle because its not, it just could be far better. Thankfully with the addition of the NX the RX no longer has to straddle two segments and can rightfully grow. With their recent offerings I expect the 4RX to be a homerun
and i again agree with you. and in my opinion it's exactly the pressure the car is facing -- price vs size vs gadgets. a lot of the nice stuff are all the details that lexus had to cut out in order to meet the price point. and i think nx is to the rescue
Old 09-16-14, 12:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
a lot of the nice stuff are all the details that lexus had to cut out in order to meet the price point. and i think nx is to the rescue
but that means the 4RX is going to go up a chunk in price.

having recently poured over a loaded highlander (not the same of course), i was quite disappointed in many details and cheap plastics or missing features. you can't get HIDs or LEDs (front or back) on any trim level for example. i think toyota is struggling to meet price points but of course their reputation is so fantastic and strong that they're going to continue to sell tons of vehicles as most people don't sweat the details like enthusiasts here do.

Quick Reply: 2014 Lexus SUV Series: RX350 F SPORT