Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cali Registration/Selling a Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-14, 07:54 AM
socalguy83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cali Registration/Selling a Car

Let me start off by saying, I really hope someone can help here.

Here's the situation. I moved to California from Georgia back in April. When I moved here, I left my car behind. Now I'm bringing the car into the state, but the GA registration has expired. What do I need to do to register the vehicle. I know I need a smog test and a vehicle inspection, but how can I do this on an expired tag? Does California offer a 30-day temp tag like most states do or not?

Here's the second part to this scenario, I'm only bringing the car into the state because I have found a buyer for it here locally. Do I need to register the vehicle here first before he can buy it. He is saying his bank is requiring the car have at least a 60 day current registration before they would approve the loan. This seems unusual to me, but California leaves the plates with the cars, unlike all the other states I have lived in. Also, I have the GA paper title in hand. I've heard Cali does issue titles like that anymore. How do I then give him a title if I have no title or proof to show?

After trying to thumb through ALL the different forms and files on the DMV website, I'm just kind of lost. If I do have to register it, I assume my tags would be coming in the mail. How do I turn around and then sell it to this guy with no tags? Can I get any kind of refund on my registration once I sell it? ANY help or advice on this would be highly helpful.

Thanks!