Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autonomous Cadillac coming in 2017

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-14, 07:22 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Autonomous Cadillac coming in 2017

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...for-2017-video

Cadillac has confirmed that from the 2017 model year some of its vehicles will be available with-autonomous and connected car technology. The announcement was made by General Motors Company [NYSE:GM] CEO Mary Barra last night at the Intelligent Transport System (ITS) World Congress in Detroit.

Cadillac groups its new technology under the “intelligent and connected” banner and plans to start rolling out the technology on two models initially. One will be an all-new Cadillac model, possibly the upcoming flagship sedan or perhaps a new crossover with third-row seats, and the other will be the 2017 CTS. The all-new model will offer Cadillac’s Super Cruise semi-autonomous driving system while the 2017 CTS will offer vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communication technology.

Super Cruise, the working name for GM’s self-driving technology, is similar to Mercedes-Benz’s existing Steering Assist semi-autonomous system and will allow hands-off lane following, braking and speed control in certain highway driving conditions and traffic jams. A myriad of sensors including radar, cameras and GPS map data is compiled by a computer which can then control the vehicle via existing electronic steering and braking systems.

Of course, driver attention will be required because the system will have operational limitations based on external factors such as traffic, weather and visibility of lane markings. When reliable data is not available, such as when there are no lane markings, the system will prompt the driver to resume steering. This means you won’t be able to switch on the Super Cruise system and take a quick nap just yet.

V2V aims to prevent accidents by allowing vehicles to send and receive safety information such as location, speed and direction of travel between vehicles that are approaching each other. It will warn drivers and can supplement active safety features, such as forward collision warning and automatic braking systems already found on many production cars.

Recently, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released an advanced notice of proposed rulemaking into the technology, alongside a report detailing comprehensive research into the subject. Two particular safety applications, Left Turn Assist (LTA) and Intersection Movement Assist (IMA), could prevent up to 592,000 crashes and save 1,083 lives per year, NHTSA data shows.

HI-RES GALLERY: Cadillac semi-autonomous and connected car technology

Last edited by Marklouis; 09-08-14 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-08-14, 07:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

beat me to it. we are approaching a time where cars will talk to one another, making for a car 'grid'. it will be FAR safer than the madness of today.
Old 09-08-14, 07:54 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
beat me to it. we are approaching a time where cars will talk to one another, making for a car 'grid'. it will be FAR safer than the madness of today.
I cringe everytime I see someone txt-driving. As many gizmos as we have to distract us today, autonomous really is the only direction.
Old 09-08-14, 09:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Well, enjoy it when it comes. I hope my own driving days are over when that happens.

And even cars talking to other cars will not necessarily increase traffic capacity on our overcrowded roads in and around urban areas. Only so many vehicles can fit into any specific block of road space, be they self-communicating or not.
Old 09-08-14, 10:03 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as it is an open-source and all cars sold in North America use the same standard, I am fine with it. I wonder if the US and Canadian government will have another "cash for clunkers", so people can get newer cars with the technology or will there be a subsidy to allow people with old cars, "upgrade" to newer tech and keep their old car.

One thing is for sure, I know cars with type of technology will have issues here in Montreal. Many roads are not properly marked and in winter, everything is full of snow.
Old 09-08-14, 04:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I'll take smarter traffic lights that don't make me wait for 3 minutes when no one is around. Waste of my time and fuel economy.