Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help me decide on a car...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-14, 09:57 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me decide on a car...

So I'm looking to purchase a new car in the next 3 to 6 mths. The car must fit a family of 4, fun to drive and have enough cargo space to hall my fishing gear. price range max 60k. I've narrowed it down to gs 350 f-sport, macan s and 435 GC.

Gs350: handles well, nice interior, bang for your buck compared to others and reliable. Cons: seats don't fold down, least powerful of the 3.

Macan S: haven't driven one yet but I hear its handles great, strong acceleration, great cargo space with seats folded down and nice interior.. Cons: most expensive of the 3 and maintenance cost.

435 GC: handles well, lots of cargo space with seats folded down, maintenance covered for 4 years, good mpg, great acceleration. Cons: least reliable of 3, run flat tires.

Although 3 different types of cars, sedan/cuv/hatchback they all serve my purpose very well. What are your guys thoughts on these 3 vehicles?
Old 09-06-14, 12:16 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 476 Likes on 299 Posts

I haven't driven the Macan, but to give you one data point the servicing cost on my 997s before I got my F-Type wasn't at all unreasonable. If I remember right I paid less at my Porsche dealer for the annual service than I paid for the servicing of the E Class that I also owned at that time.
Old 09-06-14, 07:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

You've pretty much covered the main pros and cons of the three vehicles you mentioned yourself, but have you considered an Audi A6? Premium-Plus versions offer either a gas or diesel 3.0 V6, and start at 48K. This car is very highly rated by Consumer Reports, though maintenance/repair costs could be an issue after the warranty is up.
Old 09-06-14, 08:08 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GS350 F sport, for the look of it, luxury features, great customer services, and the Reliability like no others
Old 09-06-14, 09:16 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

These are the exact 3 cars im considering once my lease is up on my 535i in a lil more year from now.

If you are Buying get the GS.
If Leasing, get the 435 GC

Macan S is tough to get right now - also first year model, not great for long-term reliability.

If possible - hold out for 2016 GS refresh, it may get more power and will def have some nice upgrades...
Old 09-06-14, 09:38 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the GS, the interior is beautiful.
Old 09-06-14, 07:06 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Macan S is tough to get right now - also first year model, not great for long-term reliability.

+1

Note that although the Macan is an SUV, rear seat space is a little tight for larger adults if that's important.

Without listing so many others, have you considered the 335 GT (roomier than the 435 GC) or upcoming NX?
Old 09-07-14, 12:57 AM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
These are the exact 3 cars im considering once my lease is up on my 535i in a lil more year from now.

If possible - hold out for 2016 GS refresh, it may get more power and will def have some nice upgrades...
Of the 3 which one are you leaning towards?
Old 09-07-14, 12:59 AM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
+1

Note that although the Macan is an SUV, rear seat space is a little tight for larger adults if that's important.

Without listing so many others, have you considered the 335 GT (roomier than the 435 GC) or upcoming NX?
Back seat room is not an issue. My kids are very small. 335GT is ugly and NX isn't powerful enough.
Old 09-07-14, 04:36 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love my GS F sport

My wife is determined to trade her 4Runner in on a Traverse I seriously want her to get a Grand Cherokee Summit but it's a bit too small.
Old 09-07-14, 04:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSLEX
Back seat room is not an issue. My kids are very small. 335GT is ugly and NX isn't powerful enough.

With this said, unfortunately skip the GS. Believe me, you'll need the convenience of cargo carrying capability of a hatch with two small kids (diaper bag, stroller, play pen, etc) when you all go out as a family. I seriously considered the Macan before pre-ordering the NX, but a little tight in the rear/cargo and too pricey for me by the time you get some basic options (60K+). Otherwise, if that's not an issue for you, I'd get the Porsche all the way for the performance, panache, SUV practicality, and above-all, Lexus-like reliability (as of late).

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 09-07-14 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-07-14, 07:48 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

All I can say is I typically trade cars every year, but I've now owned my GS F Sport for 29 months, so that has to say something about what a great, versatile car it is. I can't find anything in the category I would want to replace it with. I also looked at the 335i GC and think the sedan is actually better looking.
Old 09-09-14, 05:25 AM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decision...

Go with the Macan from those listed. You can't go wrong. The "car" will hold its value incredibly well and the hedonism will diminish (which is uber important to me) much slower than any other listed. I was in one here in Germany at the Porsche factory (I live an hour from Stuttgart) about a month ago and it is truly amazing inside. As someone already mentioned, though, they are VERY difficult to buy. I was thinking about buying one (very seriously) but I would have to wait nearly a year being over here.

Have you thought about a 3-6 month old Audi S6? I hate to deviate from the list you set forth, but one can be had for around 60k if you really put forth the effort and look. It is second to none given your criteria. Also, the '15 gets a nice bump in power:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Old 09-09-14, 10:32 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Knowing that the GS is due for a full Spindle, I personally wouldn't be happy getting a current one despite my love for the car. So in this case Macan.
Old 09-10-14, 12:21 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm really not considering the A6 as I think it will be redesigned soon.

Ideally I would really like to ge the Macan. But like many of you have pointed out it's pretty much sold out for a year.

Does anyone know what changes are coming to the 2016 GS? will it get a twin turbo V6?

Quick Reply: Help me decide on a car...