Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus NX - record 9,500 preorders in Japan, may become best selling vehicle for Lex

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-14, 06:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Lexus NX - record 9,500 preorders in Japan, may become best selling vehicle for Lex

Lexus NX might become worldwide hit for Lexus. They recorded crazy pre-orders in Japan - 9500 units is huge in a market where they already sell Harrier and NX is priced pretty crazy. 9500 units is around 3-4 months of complete Lexus sales in Japan.

Other news is from Automotive News that says that Lexus initially planned 80,000 per year production but that they can easily expand that to 120,000 which is the limit currently. They already pre-sold yearly allocation for some of the countries. People have been asking about US allocations for first 2 months - production should have already ramped up to 7000 per month and I dont see why half of that wont come to the US.

In about one month until September 3 from the release of July 29, the order number NX200t, of NX300h has become about 9,500 units total, with about 14 times the monthly sales target (700 units).
Main na praise point - Appearance advanced design feel a sense of movement and strength of the SUV. In particular, it is well received "F SPORT" is equipped with a dedicated items such as spindle grille
http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/jp/detail/3936000

At the NX’s August line-off ceremony in Japan, Lexus General Manager Jeff Bracken forecast U.S. sales of 42,000 in 2015.

“Every market is exceeding our plan already,” Templin said this week at a launch event in Tokyo, declining detailed figures.
he biggest challenge for the NX may be getting capacity.

Toyota Motor Corp. makes the NX only at its Miyata assembly plant in southwestern Japan. Miyata also makes the Lexus CT, HS, IS, ES and RX, as well as the Toyota Highlander and Sai hybrid.

Toyota initially targeted annual NX output of 80,000 units, which would rank the vehicle No. 3 in global and non-U.S. sales behind the RX and ES. But there is room for up to 40,000 more.

Miyata’s annual capacity is 430,000 vehicles.

But in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2014, before adding the NX, the plant built just 310,000 units. And by dialing down output of the slow-selling HS and Sai, Toyota may eke even more volume.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...er-outside-u-s
Old 09-04-14, 06:24 PM
balMaster
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a comparison to get some idea.
Honda CR-Z had over 10,000 pre-order.
86 & BRZ combined had 13,000 pre-order.
Old 09-04-14, 06:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by balMaster
For a comparison to get some idea.
Honda CR-Z had over 10,000 pre-order.
86 & BRZ combined had 13,000 pre-order.
Even better - Harrier got 20k pre-orders, and now sells 5k per month... So it is likely that for first year, NX will sell around 2.5k per month, which essentially means doubling Japanese Lexus sales.
Old 09-04-14, 06:44 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

CRZ and BRZ are also much cheaper cars.
Old 09-04-14, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Here in the U.S., I think the NX is going to have a good fight with Lincoln's new MKC, which is also in high demand with a lot of dealer-orders.
Old 09-04-14, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
CRZ and BRZ are also much cheaper cars.
And they are generally bought by younger people with lower incomes and credit-ratings than a typical NX buyer.
Old 09-04-14, 07:15 PM
balMaster
Rookie

I just took other cars with similar pre-order numbers. I didn't mean CR-Z and NX have a similar target buyers. CR-Z had similar pre-orders as NX and is only selling 2 digits per month now. Only 39 were sold in July 2014. So, I meant 9500 pre-order doesn't mean it will sell well.

Originally Posted by spwolf
Even better - Harrier got 20k pre-orders, and now sells 5k per month... So it is likely that for first year, NX will sell around 2.5k per month, which essentially means doubling Japanese Lexus sales.
This is a much better example and would have been less misleading.

Last edited by balMaster; 09-04-14 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-04-14, 07:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by balMaster

This is a much better example and would have been less misleading.
Yeah, it is very similar vehicle. Due to taxes going up in Japan from 5% to 8%, their luxury market is down. Lexus is now down to 2500 units or less per month, which makes NX numbers even better.

I think Crown also had similar numbers and it is similar type of vehicle... but in general, Japan is very front loaded market. Literally every car but Prius will start very high in first 2-3 years and drop heavily after that because something else has come up.

It is probably not cars only either - for instance Japanese carriers demand new phones from makers every 6 months because thats how long the public keeps their interest :-).
Old 09-04-14, 08:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Looks just like the concept. Nothing but another Lexus could be mistaken on the road. Bold, Dynamic, cannot wait to drive one.
Old 09-04-14, 09:20 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Well, I suppose I'll be seeing LOTS of these on the road. I guess that's alright but what I really won't mind seeing is a good number of RCs as well.
Old 09-04-14, 10:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedflex
Well, I suppose I'll be seeing LOTS of these on the road. I guess that's alright but what I really won't mind seeing is a good number of RCs as well.
I believe they want around 2k RC's per month in the USA, so you will see them plenty.
Old 09-05-14, 02:01 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

There is absolutely no question, the NX will be the line's best seller. It's got the Lexus name on it, is priced on the lower side of the spectrum, has all the practicality of an SUV, includes a punchy turbo engine, and bristles with modern styling inside and out. It's a winner out of the gate. Think of it's appeal like the can-do-no-wrong RX, but more accessible to more people due to the lower price point. A similar example of this formula working (minus the SUV part) is what the A3 and CLA are doing for Audi and Mercedes. The only dudd and anomaly in this magic winning formula is the CT. But I believe that is mainly due to the stigma of 4-door hatchbacks being nerdy and a weak/non-sporty powertrain. If the CT was redone as a sharp sedan with some guts, there is no reason it cannot do for Lexus what the A3 and CLA is doing for Audi and Mercedes. At that point, I would see the CT coming in first, and the new NX coming in second.
Old 09-05-14, 11:53 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
There is absolutely no question, the NX will be the line's best seller. It's got the Lexus name on it, is priced on the lower side of the spectrum, has all the practicality of an SUV, includes a punchy turbo engine, and bristles with modern styling inside and out. It's a winner out of the gate. Think of it's appeal like the can-do-no-wrong RX, but more accessible to more people due to the lower price point. A similar example of this formula working (minus the SUV part) is what the A3 and CLA are doing for Audi and Mercedes. The only dudd and anomaly in this magic winning formula is the CT. But I believe that is mainly due to the stigma of 4-door hatchbacks being nerdy and a weak/non-sporty powertrain. If the CT was redone as a sharp sedan with some guts, there is no reason it cannot do for Lexus what the A3 and CLA is doing for Audi and Mercedes. At that point, I would see the CT coming in first, and the new NX coming in second.
I don't think the CT should be redone as a sedan, but I think they should offer a sedan variant to compete against the A3 and CLA. Maybe even bring back the HS name and do it right this time. Offer a 4 cylinder turbo and hybrid option for those who want one. Would do very well in my opinion. But the styling has to be there. No one wants a luxury sedan (whether entry level or not) that looks like a souped up Corolla. Make it sleek and sexy and people will buy it. Both the NX and RC are a step in the right direction as far as styling is concerned. If they bring the same boldness and guts to a small entry level sedan, it will be a winner for sure
Old 09-05-14, 12:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Looks just like the concept. Nothing but another Lexus could be mistaken on the road. Bold, Dynamic, cannot wait to drive one.
the concept was hideous from the side. The production version flows better
Old 09-05-14, 01:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
the concept was hideous from the side. The production version flows better
I don't mean panel for panel, just overall profile, put one outline over the other and its evident they didn't stray too far

Quick Reply: Lexus NX - record 9,500 preorders in Japan, may become best selling vehicle for Lex