Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota will steer clear of driverless cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-14, 11:12 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Toyota will steer clear of driverless cars

Toyota executives say the company's primary focus is on safety. At least for the time being, that means the company won't pursue development of a driverless car.

Speaking at the company's advanced safety seminar in Ypsilanti, MI, Thursday morning, Seigo Kuzumaki, Toyota's deputy chief safety technology officer, said that Toyota envisions a future driving environment that optimizes the best of both humans and computers, not choosing one over the other.

"Toyota's main objective is safety, so it will not be developing a driverless car," he said.

While other companies like, say, Google, anticipate a driverless car future, Kuzumaki and other Toyota executives said they're not sold on the fact driverless cars will be a marketable product to a wide base of consumers. Even if motorists were eager to accept such a hands-off driving approach, they're not sure the technology is ready.

"At this moment, it is difficult to realize the driverless car safely," said Ken Koibuchi, head of Toyota's intelligent vehicle division. "To realize driverless car at this moment, we need a very rich infrastructure."

The company said it is involved in 34 different projects with 17 partners, some of which are examining development of vehicle-to-infrastructure communication. At least for now, they believe the future holds a collaborative driving experience between humans and computers, one that means drivers won't necessarily be tending to other tasks in their vehicles anytime soon.

"I think Toyota's approach is opposite of that," said Kristen Tabar, a vice president at Toyota's Technical Center. She later added that humans and computers both have weaknesses. They can augment each other; but not make one obsolete.

"The human being is the ultimate in sensor fusion," she said. "We have the visual, audible advantage, all the different inputs to make the best judgments moving forward."
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/04/t...riverless-car/
Old 09-04-14, 11:17 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

"The human being is the ultimate in sensor fusion," she said. "We have the visual, audible advantage, all the different inputs to make the best judgments moving forward."
maybe so but factor in distractions and you get lotsa these....

Old 09-04-14, 11:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

japanese manufacturers are always very conservative in adapting to technologies, toyota included. i am sure it will be a long while before they get into this
Old 09-04-14, 11:51 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If people want the idea of driverless transportation, they can always take a taxi or bus.

Otherwise, active drivers need to understand that safety, traffic laws, and road sharing are essential to the driving experience.
Old 09-04-14, 12:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
If people want the idea of driverless transportation, they can always take a taxi or bus.

Otherwise, active drivers need to understand that safety, traffic laws, and road sharing are essential to the driving experience.
Very well said
Old 09-04-14, 12:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
japanese manufacturers are always very conservative in adapting to technologies, toyota included. i am sure it will be a long while before they get into this
I think there is some confusion between driverless cars - which is cars without steering wheel installed (like Google cars), and driver assistance systems that help you steer, accelerate and brake. Toyota announced new developments in this conference in their assistance systems that help you steer through corners based on GPS input.
Old 09-04-14, 12:43 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^x2

There is very little research available and countless amounts of variables that goes into developing a driver-less car. Google has done it and I have read/seen some of their stuff done but I don't think they take into account EVERY possible scenario and are far from putting the done stamp on the driver-less solution. The technology is just not there. The car would need an active AI which once it hits the streets of NYC, it would either not drive or run everyone over with the amounts of peoples lack of caring with jay walking on green lights which is a law suit and a half

Plus Toyota Corp. is smart to put out a memo saying that they will stay away. If it fails, they don't really lose any money. If it DOES become a thing, they are first to get a big payday since Google and other Driver-less research companies primarily use Toyotas anyway. Win WIn the way i see it
Old 09-04-14, 12:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

It is same research as driverless cars... drivers assistance programs that can steer, accelerate and brake for you are basically autonomus cars. Difference is in intention - Toyota does not intend to create a car which has no steering wheel - Google does. Toyota wants you to be able to get help from the car, but not to start reading books while you are in drivers seat.

Here are some videos:

And official PR:
http://corporatenews.pressroom.toyot...oads+sept4.htm

Toyota Brings Advanced Automated Vehicle Technology to U.S. Roads

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (September 4, 2014) – It’s not science fiction anymore. Toyota is putting the future of auto safety technology on display, including environment-mapping systems that can track objects on the road both day and night, 3D information displays that transform the ability to provide road information to drivers, and an advanced driving support system that will be available to U.S. customers in the mid-decade.

All these and more were shown today at the fourth annual Toyota Advanced Safety Seminar (TASS), convened in Ann Arbor, Michigan ahead of the Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) World Congress next week. The seminar provides an advance look into Toyota’s safety research and development, spotlighting the company’s work to help ensure the safe transition to the future of mobility.

“Toyota’s vision is of a world without traffic fatalities, and these advanced connected and automated vehicle technologies hold the potential to revolutionize automotive safety,” said Seigo Kuzumaki, Chief Safety Technology Officer Secretary for Toyota Motor Corporation. “We are committed to bringing advanced active safety systems to market as quickly as possible and will make them accessible to a broad range of drivers.”

In addition to demonstrating safety research underway at the Collaborative Safety Research Center and updating the public on development progress of fully autonomous vehicles that can operate at high speeds and in inclement weather, Toyota executives revealed the status of several advanced automated driving technologies.
Old 09-04-14, 12:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I think there is some confusion between driverless cars - which is cars without steering wheel installed (like Google cars), and driver assistance systems that help you steer, accelerate and brake. Toyota announced new developments in this conference in their assistance systems that help you steer through corners based on GPS input.
exactly what i meant. i never said toyota doesn't put in driver assistance systems, they are doing tons. but completely driverless? it will be quite a while for toyota and i doubt they will be among the first
Old 09-04-14, 01:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

There is also a nice video of new system coming next year I think:
http://corporatenews.pressroom.toyot...video_id=26824
Old 09-04-14, 01:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
exactly what i meant. i never said toyota doesn't put in driver assistance systems, they are doing tons. but completely driverless? it will be quite a while for toyota and i doubt they will be among the first
in general, completely driverless cars are not for us here anyway :-)

Google applied to get a license for car without steering wheel last month but they were denied by DMV.
Old 09-04-14, 05:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Yep. Totally agree. Or wear one of these............

Old 09-04-14, 05:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Big Article from Edmunds::
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/deal...g-in-2015.html

Dealers To Get Full Lineup of Safety-Enhanced Toyotas, Starting in 2015

Although Toyota did not release details on which Toyota, Lexus, and Scion vehicles will be first to get the new tech and when, it aims to outfit the entire product lineup by 2017. Toyota and Scion vehicles may feature the high-tech anti-collision systems featured on Lexus vehicles, along with other elements of Lexus' safety technology.

A Pre-Collision system is offered on such vehicles as the 2015 Lexus RX 350.

"We'll begin the rollout in 2015," the automaker announced at the start of a three-day Advanced Safety Seminar being held to showcase the latest in automotive safety technology.
Old 09-04-14, 07:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

not the same. a driverless car is private transportation, kinda like having a 'free' chauffeur. mercedes is actively working on this and you will have the choice of driving or letting the car do it. this is pretty much like commercial aviation, where pilots are now pretty irrelevant.

the cars will end up doing all these things better than any human can, but of course people will still want to feel they're in control, even though they won't be except for within very tight parameters.

Originally Posted by spwolf
in general, completely driverless cars are not for us here anyway :-)
totally disagree. what if the driverless car includes a 'drift' mode (only on tracks, verified by gps of course)

Google applied to get a license for car without steering wheel last month but they were denied by DMV.
google's just ahead of the public's comfort zone, as they often are on many things.
Old 09-04-14, 08:08 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally I think Google's approach to the driverless car is dead on arrival for one main reason. Lawyers. Driverless car malfunctions, tons of lawsuits.

Now I'm not saying the driver less car is a bad idea. Its Google's approach to make it work on our current road system that bothers me. There are too many variables for a computer to account for, too many ways to have an accident and a lawsuit on your hands.

Redoing the infrastructure to make specific lanes/roads for driver less cars is the way to go, and IMO the technology is there for this to work successfully. There however would be no political will to get this massive road construction project done though, not with this current Congress. Interesting but dated video of what I'm talking about, where they use the HOV lane seperated from regular traffic for driverless car.

Quick Reply: Toyota will steer clear of driverless cars