Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

everyone should sign this, immediately

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-14, 11:39 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Default everyone should sign this, immediately

it's to lighten the ban to import cars from 25 years to 15! come on let's get some more RHD soarers in here!!!!! there's only 5 days for the petition left to be signed, spread it around it's definitely possible for 40k people to sign it in that time. show everyone!!!
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...s-and/PhZ4RMgz
Old 08-31-14, 10:02 AM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I signed. Maybe he'll actually respond to this one since it's less controversial. He's glossed over a few that did hit 100k+, particularly NSA/data leak related petitions.
Old 08-31-14, 10:47 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Thank you sir
Old 08-31-14, 06:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Differences between U.S. vehicle and the rest of the car producing world are shrinking all the time. Most 15-year-old cars coming from Canada, Europe, or Japan will not be significantly different in safety or emissions
I can partially, but not totally agree with that. British, Australian, and Japanese home-market vehicles are usually right-hand drive, which, on American roads, take some getting used to, in the meantime compromising driver visibility/perception, and leading (possibly) to more accidents. True, some postal-service vehicles in this country are also right-hand drive for roadside mailboxes, but they are usually operated at very slow speeds and short ranges.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-31-14 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-31-14, 08:57 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

bump, people need to see this
Old 09-01-14, 07:46 PM
05EX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Signed it long ago
Old 09-01-14, 08:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 05EX
Signed it long ago
Well you should have told us
Old 09-03-14, 02:04 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSXMike
Irrelevant. Most americans who WANT jdm or overseas cars are gearhead enthusiasts who would accept the challenge of learning to deal with a right hand drive vehicle, and whom typically have more keen driving abilities than the average american idiot who today doesn't even know how to drive a standard trans.

As for actual physical structure of the vehicles, they are no less safe than US spec cars, they only have shorter bumpers in most cases, which is also irrelevant for two reasons, one being that most gearheads who want jdm and like cars end up ditching the front bumper support in exchange for a giant front mount intercooler. In reality, a front mount intercooler is basically the same as the aluminum crash beam just now with a couple of pipes attached to it for the air to flow through. And second, old cars are all out of date crash test wise regardless of whether they have a US spec bumper or a foreign spec bumper.

We saw this same thing with the mclaren f1 that was eventually brought to america and made road legal through ameritech who was forced to install ugly bumper pads on top of the front bumper. Those bumper pads were eventually removed anyhow thanks to some government clowns recieving a little cash as an incentive to ignore those oh so important gov crash regulations.

In addition to the ridiculous regulations I also find the excuse to allot money to "fighting terrorism" an even bigger fraud as America has yet to ever be attacked by any foreign organized armies.

The ban on importing foreign market cars is likely for the same reason that general motors (now government motors) was required to confiscate from owners all the electric ev1's in the 90's because they were a threat to oil conpanies profits if the electric car craze caught on.

Quite simply, the bans on import of foreign vehicles to the USA are done for political and financial reasons, not safety. If it were for safety reasons countries like russia would require vehicles to be fit with bumpers almost the size of the entire car, seeing as jow they have some of the worst auto wrecks recorded in history, yet the cars they get are fitted with the same bumpers fitted on cars on NZ, Aussie and japan, etc.

I hope this post was not offensive to you, I would hate to learn that I was banned from this section also because I said something that you don't agree with.
i'm surprised people don't already know everything you said. great "rant" i enjoyed it very much. now people sign it! just 2 days left! pass it around!
Old 09-03-14, 09:57 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

just 2 more days people!
Old 09-04-14, 11:23 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I signed it because I would like to see more imports in the US especially the one that I am looking for

Although a 15 year ban IMO wouldn't really do much at this point because of US OBD-II emissions. I had did some research a a while ago and European and Japanese emissions are wildly different making every car imported past 1996 will not qualify for US OBD-II emissions inspection which i believe almost every state now uses of inspection. (I only mention europe and Japan since those areas have large vehicle markets). Europe has that EOBD Euro 1-6 standards and Japan has JOBD. The good thing about pre-96 cars is that they have less strict requirements, at least in NY where they only require vehicle basic functions (headlights, turn signals, saftey equipment, etc); i can't comment for the rest of the states though.

There either needs to be a reputable company that can Import and convert to US OBD-II for 1996+ cars OR have local laws lowered for imported cars. I'm sure it has to be country wide instead of a state by state change

Last edited by NYKnick101; 09-04-14 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-04-14, 11:42 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I signed it.