Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Most hated car company is......

Old 08-27-14, 12:08 PM
XiongXiong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Most hated car company is......

I wasn't surprised to see the results but some may be surprised to see the Top on the list is a Japanese brand... (hint: its not Lexus)

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the...?siteid=yhoof2

Shortcut to video :http://live.wsj.com/video/the-most-h...9A5AC8D3F.html

If you own a Mercedes, your relationship with your car may be something akin to love (admit it, you’ve gazed longingly at that finely engineered machine). But if you own an Acura or a Dodge, you might feel a little, er, less adoring towards your auto, according to new data.

A survey released Tuesday by the American Customer Satisfaction Index revealed that customers’ satisfaction with both domestic and foreign automakers hit a five-year low this year, falling 1.2% from last year to a score of 82 out of 100. What’s more, satisfaction with 80% of the 21 car brands measured fell as compared to last year (Acura 7267, -0.11% saw the deepest decline at -7%, Cadillac GM, -0.56% the second-steepest decline at -6%), while satisfaction rose for only 10% of the car brands, including Chevrolet and Buick. “The decline among automakers is widespread,” the report revealed. The ACSI Automobile Report 2014 is based on interviews with 4,360 randomly selected consumers who were asked to evaluate their recent purchase (within the last three years) and experiences with automobiles.
The most hated car in America Is...
(3:46)

Some drivers may gaze lovingly at their sedan but not if they own some of the most disliked cars in the U.S., according to a new survey.

Forrest Morgeson, ACSI’s director of research, says that part of the reason we’re seeing this decline is that during the height of the recession automakers were offering a variety of incentives and perks for buying cars, and now many of those have dried up. And now consumers find themselves less satisfied with their auto purchases because they’re not getting as many incentives when buying a car. Furthermore, he adds that the myriad recalls impacting the auto industry recently have made consumers less satisfied with the industry as a whole.

The most-loved car makers include Mercedes-Benz DDAIY, -0.29% which holds its No. 1 spot from last year despite a 2% decline in customer satisfaction, and Subaru 7270, +0.67% Morgeson says that the dominance of Mercedes-Benz isn’t surprising, as luxury cars — thanks to often superior quality and service — often dominate the rankings. Subaru and Volkswagen VLKAF, +0.28% — though not luxury cars — tend to have smaller market share than many bigger brands in America, which helps with customer satisfaction rankings, and very loyal drivers (Morgeson likens them to Apple computer devotees in some ways), which puts them high on the satisfaction list.

On the flip side, Acura, which saw a 7% decline in customer satisfaction over last year, is the most unsatisfying car company to consumers, the ACSI revealed.

Morgeson says that this was a surprising finding and that the researchers aren’t sure why it ranked so low (last year, it ranked in the middle), but says that it’s possible that this brand simply doesn’t meet consumers’ expectations as much as other luxury brands. Acura was closely followed by Chrysler’s Dodge FIATY, +1.67% which saw a 1% decline in customer service over a year prior, and by Jeep and Audi. Some of these brands’ rankings were not surprising because less expensive brands tend to rank lower on the list on average, as they often have slightly lower quality and service than do luxury brands, says Morgeson. Acura, Dodge, Jeep, Audi, BMW and Cadillac did not respond to a request for comment, and Mazda could not be reached for comment.

Automakers are far from the most disliked industries among consumers; that honor goes to Internet (63 out of 100) and cable and pay TV (65) providers and airlines (69). And even the worst-ranked automakers don’t score as low as some of the worst-ranked of those companies.

Still, there’s room for improvement. Unfortunately, for recent car buyers, Morgeson says that one of the best ways for consumers to ensure that they get a car they’re satisfied with is to do their homework before buying. Sites like Edmunds.com, AutoTrader.com and Cars.com can help you get started with the research. Consumer Reports also provides excellent reviews of cars. But, he adds, that voicing your complaints can help you get what you want with a car you own now; escalate your complaints to a higher authority if you’re not getting what you want from the automaker.
Old 08-27-14, 12:11 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Without looking, let me guess.. Its Acura
Old 08-27-14, 12:22 PM
XiongXiong
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Without looking, let me guess.. Its Acura
Dude, you hatin' on the Acuras..? but you are Correct sir..

I owned Honda/Acura for the last 13 years.. They all sucked. (had my tranny replace on my '03 TL THREE TIMES under warranty..)
Old 08-27-14, 12:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by XiongXiong

I owned Honda/Acura for the last 13 years.. They all sucked. (had my tranny replace on my '03 TL THREE TIMES under warranty..)
i am glad i got rid of my 02 tls before 1st failure

honestly outside of the legend and my nsx, i haven't been really impressed any any acura
Old 08-27-14, 12:53 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by XiongXiong

Not Hating on Acura, I just know of many struggles Acura people had with their cars.

Originally Posted by rominl
i am glad i got rid of my 02 tls before 1st failure

honestly outside of the legend and my nsx, i haven't been really impressed any any acura
Metoo, almost bought an Acura TL-S. Glad I went with Lexus. The Legend was a beautiful car though it had its own electrical issues and what not. I say, the NSX is the ONLY Acura that stood out and without problems.. All the rest, FWD Luxury Car (Meh)
Old 08-27-14, 12:54 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Outside of nsx, cl-s 6mt & integra, Acura doesn't do anything for me
Old 08-27-14, 12:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Also, one has to remember that the source for the survey is probably not a list of car-enthusiasts like us who talk cars every day and keep up with every new vehicle on the market.....nor of people who hang out in car forums like Car Chat. This is probably a broad section of the public at large, which looks upon their car simply as an everyday transportation device and something to get them to work, shopping, and back home. Much of what they know about cars is likely to come from nightly news sources or what they watch during lunch hour on their jobs...also from what good or bad service they are likely to have gotten from their local dealerships. And what have they been bombarded with in the last several years? Night after night of Toyota/Lexus runaway-acceleration/gas-pedal defects, endless GM ignition-switch recalls, Ford/Lincoln MyTouch/SYNC complaints, tales of gouge-your-wallet service/repair bills from upmarket German car dealerships, taxpayer-buyout issues, auto-company executives/marketers repeatedly being called before House/Senate hearings.....on and on. It's no wonder that the auto industry is held in low esteem by those who only get one side of the news each night.....by TV reporters whose job it is to stir up even MORE controversial news today so they will be able to report on it AGAIN tomorrow.
Old 08-27-14, 01:07 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The Legend never really had electrical problems. It (2nd gen) was pretty much known for blowing headgasket due to somewhat poor cooling. It's very finicky so you must pay good attention to it. Other than that, the car is high quality and drive pretty nice too.

There are only 3 Acuras I would buy: Legend, NSX, and Integra (Type R).
Old 08-27-14, 01:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
The Legend never really had electrical problems. It (2nd gen) was pretty much known for blowing headgasket due to somewhat poor cooling. It's very finicky so you must pay good attention to it. Other than that, the car is high quality and drive pretty nice too.
On the initial 1Gen Legend, as you note, it was virtually bulletproof. The only significant flaw was clutch-durability on 5MT models. Yes, Acura actually offered a three-pedal manual on the first models, but, not surprisingly, there were few takers.
Old 08-27-14, 01:12 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not trying to be picky, but I didn't see anywhere in the article that stated Acura was the most hated car company, just the least satisfying and doesn't meet expectations.
Old 08-27-14, 01:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

List top 7 (best to worst)

Mercedes-Benz
Subaru
Lexus
Volkswagen
Toyota
Honda
Buick

List bottom 7 (best to worst)

Cadillac
BMW
Mazda
Audi
Jeep
Dodge
Acura
Old 08-27-14, 01:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jwong77
Not trying to be picky, but I didn't see anywhere in the article that stated Acura was the most hated car company, just the least satisfying and doesn't meet expectations.
That's because of the negative image of Acura that many are exposed to from the media, car magazines, auto forums, and some of Acura's own dumb recent designs like parrot-beaks and the ZDX. It doesn't necessarily generate hatred, but it does turn some off.
Old 08-27-14, 01:33 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77

+1, I noticed that......... stupid article title.
Old 08-28-14, 02:56 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
On the initial 1Gen Legend, as you note, it was virtually bulletproof. The only significant flaw was clutch-durability on 5MT models. Yes, Acura actually offered a three-pedal manual on the first models, but, not surprisingly, there were few takers.
The Legend offered a manual on the 2nd gen models as well. It was more common in the coupe, almost unheard of in the sedan.

IMO the Legend and the 3rd gen TL are the only good larger sedans Acura ever offered. Everything else they've made in the midsize to large category has been boring to downright ugly.

I've had a lot of seat time behind the wheel of my sister's 2002ish RSX, it was a base model with the automatic. I must say other than the sharp handling, great cargo space, well bolstered seats, and cool styling, it was a very overpriced Civic. My 99 Z28 Camaro I had at the time rode better, was quieter(despite having a loud exhaust on it), squeaked/creaked/rattled/and groaned a lot less. The leather held up a lot better on the Camaro as well, after about 5-6 years the seat bottoms split on the front seats on the RSX. Radio was a lot better on the Camaro as well. Fit/finish on the plastics on the RSX looked nicer, but if you drove it you could tell it was a cheap tin can.

I will say after about 5 miles of riding/driving that Camaro, you either loved or hated that *** on the ground, legs splayed straight ahead driving position.

Last edited by Aron9000; 08-28-14 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-28-14, 05:58 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I am on my third MDX and have only had one issue. I have always thought the MDX is the best all around value for its segment. However, from being on the MDX forum, there were many issues when the current generation MDX was introduced in 2013 (2014 model) that probably contributed to the poor ratings, particularly since the article mentions the year to year drop in satisfaction.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Most hated car company is......