Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

DOT Proposes Cars Transmit Location, Direction, & Speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-14, 03:10 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

If you drive with a cell phone on in your pocket, big brother is tracking you anyways.

Now putting devices in your car that tracks your speed, acceleration, routes, etc and reports it straight to the government is rather Orwellian and straight up evil. If I want to drive briskly on an empty back road to work off some stress, then that's my god given right, if I put it in the ditch, well I'll deal with the consequences. If I want to needlessly do donuts in an empty snow covered parking lot, I don't need "the man" to know about it and ticket my fun.
Old 08-28-14, 06:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000

Now putting devices in your car that tracks your speed, acceleration, routes, etc and reports it straight to the government is rather Orwellian and straight up evil. If I want to drive briskly on an empty back road to work off some stress, then that's my god given right, if I put it in the ditch, well I'll deal with the consequences.
Unfortunately, what people may want is not always what the law is. In all 50 states and D.C., driving is not a right, but a privilege. That's not me, friend........(so don't get annoyed with me for posting this)........that's just our legal system. Screw up enough times, and one not only faces fines/tickets but loss of license as well...and possible jail time if caught driving with a suspended license. One of the few exceptions is is you are diplomatically connected and have immunity from prosecution under American law, but I'm assuming that, as with most people, that is not your case.

And I'm not just pointing my fingers at others, either....there are things I don't like that I have to put up with, too. Heck, there are a LOT of things on the road that I find a complete pain in the a** to deal with every day.....speed bumps everywhere, unnecessary 3 and 4-way stop signs, DO NOT ENTER signs, barricades to keep traffic off of certain streets, an excessive number of traffic lights, endless traffic jams, etc..... But that is all simply a part of driving in today's world, and, like it or not, we simply have to deal with it. I myself am not one of the speeders that these traffic-calming devices are aimed at......but I have to deal with the consequences and effects of them just like you or anyone else.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-28-14 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-28-14, 06:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Old 08-28-14, 06:32 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More tracking proposals?
No thanks, I'll pass. Like others have suggested, this is a stepping stone to even more government intervention. Speeding? pass a red light? unpaid parking tickets? fines automatically deducted from your checking account. Missed a court date? your self-driving car locks all your doors and automatically drives you to the police station where you can be placed under arrest. This GPS device will certainly have other information about your driving habits as well, where you've been, for how long, etc etc. This is complete big brother and total invasion of privacy