Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sooo, I went shopping for a 2014 Sienna.

Old 08-23-14, 09:52 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sooo, I went shopping for a 2014 Sienna.

Wasn't impressed. I currently have a 2010 Toyota Sienna LE and I like the feel of that soft/cushony "leather" where the 2014 LE was hard plastic. Dash, upper arms rest, etc. So I may skip the third generation (2011-2014) and opt instead for a very, very low mile 2010 (second gen) that I have my eye on. Loaded to the teeth at half the price of new. Leather, JBL sounds espresso maker, so forth Granted this 2014 had some tech bells such as automatic doors, easier seat adjustment, digital climate controls but honestly I'd gladly trade opening my own door and having analog heating adjustment for better interior. To end on a good note the ride was excellent.

So have you ever elected NOT to upgrade to a new vehicle/nodel year because something didn't meet your liking?
Old 08-23-14, 10:03 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Check out the refreshed 2015 model, sporting new interior design and materials.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...na_first_look/
Old 08-24-14, 07:22 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks JD. They didn't have a 2015 on the lot at the time. Its any wonder their sales are down. I've never been in a car with so much hard plastic in my life. Even the showroom floor model Rav4 had it and clashed with the real leather on the doors. I thought $45k for a mini putt-putt of an SUV one could put soft touch on the dash and doors.
So we found one loaded with every conceivable feature that includes JBL sound, DVD on the roof for the kids, leather and so on which would normally go new for $45k+ for $23k. The best part it only has 30k and comes with Toyota certified and comes with 7/100 extended warranty. Not bad in my book. Vehicle is in mint shape.

Now I was jonesing for the Sequoia in there show room but DAMN, we wouldn't even been able to fit two cars in our garage! That thing is HUGE. Maybe I could talk my neighbour into using his garage as he's gone six months of the year:P

Last edited by rxonmymind; 08-24-14 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-24-14, 10:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I would go for the 14 Sienna over the older model any day of the week.
Old 08-24-14, 04:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
So have you ever elected NOT to upgrade to a new vehicle/model year because something didn't meet your liking?

Yes, even as a former Lexus owner, I have. Like you and your views of the Sienna, I was quite impressed with the overall build quality of the 1Gen IS300 (which I owned for several years). I did not upgrade to a 2Gen or 3Gen model because I thought that each one was a step-down in build quality/materials from the previous version.

I also owned a Subaru Outback that I was extremely pleased with, especially its unstoppable winter performance. The subsequent version that replaced it, like with the Lexus IS, showed what I thought was, except for the clearly improved paint-job, a significant thinning out of material solidness and solidity in its construction. A number of 2010 and 2011 models (not all) also had some noted shimmy problems in the front end that proved difficult for the factory to address.

Wasn't impressed. I currently have a 2010 Toyota Sienna LE and I like the feel of that soft/cushony "leather" where the 2014 LE was hard plastic. Dash, upper arms rest, etc. So I may skip the third generation (2011-2014) and opt instead for a very, very low mile 2010 (second gen) that I have my eye on. Loaded to the teeth at half the price of new. Leather, JBL sounds espresso maker, so forth Granted this 2014 had some tech bells such as automatic doors, easier seat adjustment, digital climate controls but honestly I'd gladly trade opening my own door and having analog heating adjustment for better interior. To end on a good note the ride was excellent.
Given what you have told us here, you will probably make the right decision, although, even though low-mileage, older cars can often be more of a reliability risk than newer ones.

Is your proposed 2010 purchase a Certified Toyota Sienna? Certified models cost a little more than typical used cars, but are generally given more inspections/repairs/reconditioning and a significantly longer used-car warranty....often as long or longer than the actual new-car warranty.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-25-14 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-24-14, 10:51 PM
LexFather

Yeah, wait for the 2015...its around the corner

Old 08-25-14, 09:01 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like ody
Old 08-25-14, 09:33 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

2015 definitely addresses the much maligned interior plastics of the Sienna (Venza has the same issue/materials).

Odyssey is good too, but I don't like the Honda dual-screen infotainment/vehicle controls they're moving towards.

Sienna is also the only minivan to offer AWD, which is a big deal to a lot of customers in the midwest, northeast, etc.

2015 Sienna's should hit dealers late September I believe.
Old 08-25-14, 09:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

i think the new sedona is gonna give the sienna some real competition
Old 08-25-14, 09:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
So have you ever elected NOT to upgrade to a new vehicle/nodel year because something didn't meet your liking?
yes, i've test driven a bunch of vehicles recently, and nothing has really sold me for the $. and don't get me started on enticing option packages or combinations that aren't really available anywhere when you dig.
Old 08-25-14, 10:45 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yes, i've test driven a bunch of vehicles recently, and nothing has really sold me for the $. and don't get me started on enticing option packages or combinations that aren't really available anywhere when you dig.
Keeping an eye out for a future Explorer replacement?
Old 08-25-14, 12:29 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm thinking Unimog.
Old 08-25-14, 02:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

thanks guys but let's keep on sienna track.
Old 08-25-14, 02:40 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I rented a base 2014 Sienna last month.

I must say, the textiles and surfaces were not luxurious. But I can attest to its durability. It's made to withstand the fury of small children. Or a van full of drunkards on a wine tasting trip...

Don't worry. I was a designated driver...
Old 08-25-14, 11:10 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pbm317
2015 definitely addresses the much maligned interior plastics of the Sienna (Venza has the same issue/materials).

Odyssey is good too, but I don't like the Honda dual-screen infotainment/vehicle controls they're moving towards.

Sienna is also the only minivan to offer AWD, which is a big deal to a lot of customers in the midwest, northeast, etc.

2015 Sienna's should hit dealers late September I believe.
I hope so. Even R&T or some such mag listed that third gen dead last in a shoot out when it came out in 2011,2012,..but there's no denying that engine is one of the finest out there. Bullet proof.

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
Yes, namely the prices of new cars in light of the fact that it depreciates 15% as soon as you drive off the lot and onto the main road. Had to go back to 90s Lexii to get the price right!
Your right of course and there is nothing wrong with buying used. This is my first Lexus experience and while it wasn'tcheap the entry price was acceptable. Depending on how this goes I'll look at either a very, very (20k) mile Lexus or new. I want to see how much better a Lexus hold up comparatively to a Sienna:P
i think the new sedona is gonna give the sienna some real competition
I agree. I looked at a thread here on CL and from the pics it certainly looked good. Competition is always healthy.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I rented a base 2014 Sienna last month.

I must say, the textiles and surfaces were not luxurious. But I can attest to its durability. It's made to withstand the fury of small children. Or a van full of drunkards on a wine tasting trip...

Don't worry. I was a designated driver...
Hey! That looks familiar That's what we look like every weekend.
You know gents my wife and I have sat down and looked at our lifestyle and really wonder if we even need a Sienna. Tomorrow were looking at a three row Mazda CX9. We'll see and will keep you updated. Thanks for the read & feedback.

Last edited by rxonmymind; 08-25-14 at 11:15 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sooo, I went shopping for a 2014 Sienna.