Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray

Old 08-20-14, 05:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Quick Spin: 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...photo-2859740/

Engine: 6.2L V8
Power: 460 HP / 465 LB-FT
Transmission: 8-Speed Auto
0-60 Time: 3.7 Seconds
Drivetrain: Rear-Wheel Drive
Curb Weight: 3,298 LBS
Seating: 2
Cargo: 15.0 CU-FT
MPG: 16 City / 29 HWY
Base Price: $53,000 (est)
As-Tested Price: $65,680 (est)

If the world were populated exclusively with Autoblog commenters, Chevrolet probably wouldn't even offer an automatic transmission in its 2015 Corvette Stingray. Somehow the desire to drive with three pedals and the willingness to leave your two cents on a digital car review are inexorably linked.

But, of course, the comment section of our fair website is not the real world, exactly. The reality is that some 65 percent of Corvette C7s sold so far have been equipped with two pedals. During the 2014 model year, that has meant that the almost universally lauded new Stingray has shipped mostly with a six-speed automatic that wasn't up to the technological standards of the rest of the car.

When he reviewed the C7 for the first time, our own Michael Harley had these, not-minced words to say about the existing 6AT:

"The traditional six-speed automatic seemed to extinguish the C7's performance edge. I found it softer, slower and more lethargic (even paddle-initiated shifts had annoying lag). Even though it was every bit as quick in terms of outright acceleration, the gearbox took much of the excitement out of the driving experience."

Clearly there was room to improve.

Thankfully, I can now report that the improvements have been made, and that the new, General Motors-designed Hydra-Matic 8L90 is up to the task of shifting one of the best sports cars in the world. Take heed, 65-percenters.

Driving Notes
  • With some fantastic, many-geared automatic transmissions on the market from specialized companies like ZF, GM engineers knew that their unit would need to be world class. To that end, they concentrated on improving performance without sacrificing durability; all while needing to satisfy the challenging packaging requirements of the Corvette. Aluminum and magnesium have been used to reduce rotational mass, while pressed steel parts can still be found in the torque-bearing bits of the trans. A chain-driven, binary-vane oil pump in the sump has even been optimized for low- and high-speed engine loads. All of that helps to make this 8AT incredibly fast acting and responsive, while also improving fuel efficiency.
  • And it's strong. The trans was designed around the upcoming Z06, meaning it had to be rated to handle more than 650 pound-feet of torque.
  • Down to it then. Executing shifts in manual mode feels dual-clutch quick, for sure. The Chevy guys were puffing out their chests talking about the speed of this 8AT versus Porsche's PDK, and the truth is that the reaction time from paddle-pull to upshift is right there. At least, as that's what my imperfect human brain can suss out – any advantage to the quickest dual clutches I've yanked would require a machine to judge.
  • For my money though, and for the love of the 65-percent, the real test comes when you leave the lever in D. I actually did all but one of my laps of GM's dizzying Milford Road Course in full auto mode, and found the programming and response time of the trans to be impeccable. Set to Race mode, the software seemed to have me in the right gear for every corner entrance and exit, holding each of the short ratios for maximum power delivery as I ran up the few straight bits.
  • I got a hot lap with one of the GM hotshoes, as well, which confirmed outright capability of the 8L90. I may not have believed my driver's rhetoric alone – he told me he was quicker in full auto than when shifting for himself – but on his lightning lap, I could hear the car clicking off gears in synchronization with the needs of the track.
  • As for driving on public streets – of which I did for perhaps 50 miles – the AT is just dandy, too. To be fair, it's over the course of spirited-back-road driving that the involvement of a manual transmission is most enjoyable to me. But the eight-speed had no issue going from leisurely cruising to the occasional moment of massive corner attack, and back again.
  • For daily driving, Chevy says 8AT owners will see a 3.5-percent improvement in fuel economy. Preliminary EPA estimates show ratings of 29 miles per gallon on the highway, 16 in the city and 20 combined (with the standard engine). What's more, I was told those numbers should continue the Corvette tradition of being easy to achieve in the real world (something owners are strangely likely to brag about).
  • Oh, and the new auto is quicker to 60 mph, too – 3.7 seconds to do the deed with the Z51 performance package. That's a tenth quicker than the manual, for the record.
  • It is also just a bit more expensive. Though full pricing for the MY15 cars hasn't been given yet, I was told the eight speed will add $1,725 to the sticker price, versus the $1,600 asked for the outgoing automatic.
  • There's no question that the great things we had to say about the 2014 Corvette stay true for 2015, too. The handling at a race pace is sublime with occasional moments of scariness if you, like me, don't go to work in head-to-toe Nomex. I was particularly impressed with the overall grip of the car, even after I did half a lap of MRC in some light rain. This is a balanced, poised machine until you get silly with it (and even then, it's still fun).
  • On a personal note, and repping for the really tall guys everywhere, I will say that there's less room in the cabin for my six feet and five inches than I'd like, at least when I'm wearing a helmet. On public roads, I felt a bit cramped laterally, but not so badly that I'd feel the need to, you know, not drive a Corvette. On the other hand, if you're really tall and looking for a car to track, you might want to measure out carefully.

To sum: the 2015 Corvette Stingray is a brilliant sports car made better for most of its actual buyers with this transmission. It may not be the purist's special, but it is a highly advanced unit that will offer real gains for many drivers, and is closer than ever to the goodness of the enthusiast-darling stick shift. You may not love my saying it, Average Autoblog Commenter, but you really should respect these AT chops.
Old 08-22-14, 01:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I think this Corvette is stunning work of are.
Old 08-22-14, 01:52 PM
Hoovey689

Awesome specs
Old 08-22-14, 04:12 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Sexy beast.

I love a manual transmission, but the sad fact is that the nostalgic owners who would potentially want as well as know how to drive a manual are now getting old enough that there may be some physical limitations involved that put them into an automatic. Then you have young kids with money. Couldn't drive a manual to save their lives. They just want the cool factor of the car, so an automatic works for them.
Old 08-22-14, 07:50 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Easy now, some of US just might resemble that remark
Originally Posted by BrettJacks

I love a manual transmission, but the sad fact is that the nostalgic owners who would potentially want as well as know how to drive a manual are now getting old enough that there may be some physical limitations involved that put them into an automatic.
Old 08-23-14, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes, the C7 Stingray is arguably the best Corvette ever built. I know several Corvette enthusiasts, and the only complaint on the C7 I've heard from them is the lack of the traditional round taillights. The stylists may (?) have made mistake with that, but, if so, IMO, is a very minor one. far more important, it's hard to deny this car's bang for the buck (especially compared to cars like the 911 and Ferraris), and, now, it has an interior and build-quality to match.
Old 08-23-14, 06:10 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow the GTR can manage 0-100kmh in 2.7 seconds

But the GTR does come with a manual, so I'd go with the C7

Last edited by yowps3; 08-23-14 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-23-14, 07:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
aren't the taillight more like the current camry? also, bang for buck, if you don't add any options or with options. also, bang for buck as compared to super duper cars with 600+ hp.
Not all of the 600HP+ cars, though, like the new Dodge Challenger Hellcat, offer the kind of handling that a Corvette does. The now-discontinued Boss Mustang did (it had excellent handling that some in the auto press compared to a BMW M3), but it was one of the very few exceptions.

i thought you did all the first impressions, who is hoovey haha
I'm not sure if you are being serious or facecious here, but Hoovey has been with us in CAR CHAT for a long time. He typically posts autoblog reviews, spy shots, and First-Drive reports. Occasionally, he does a Hoovey-review or write-up of his own and shares it with us....and they're pretty good.

I do my own occasional MM car reviews (usually by request, but also for other reasons), and also, occasionally, post my own articles about driving tips, auto systems, and car-care. Some of what Hoovey and I post overlaps, but we each have our own methods and criteria.
Old 08-23-14, 08:38 PM
Hoovey689

who is hoovey

Old 08-24-14, 03:44 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I know everybody was giving GM crap for not having one of those "flappy paddel" "dual clutch" transmissions in the new Vette, instead relying on an old school style torque converter automatic style transmission.

My thought was, SO WHAT . . . . Jaguar has been using torque converter automatics for the past 5 years or so that people have LOVED, when caned it is always in the right gear, right now gear changes(ie just as fast if measured by a computer compared to a dual clutch style tranny), it automatically blips the throttle on a downshift, plus it drives like a normal automatic in traffic, because it is a normal automatic, ie its buttery smooth all the time.

Not surprising that GM went with what they knew, and are good at, an all new automatic with a torque converter. I'm sure this time the computer geeks that program the tranny were actually talking to the people designing the gears and bands. The previous six speed auto in the Corvette wasn't a bad transmission, if you did an ECU reflash, it really sharpened the responses and eliminated the lag in the steering wheel shift buttons.
Old 08-25-14, 05:38 AM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still couldn't buy this without a manual transmission. I mean I could walk into a dealership, see they have one in stock with all the specifications (color, wheels, trim, interior featured, etc) I desired, with a bag full of cash and when I look inside and see an automatic, i'd turn around and walk right out.
Old 08-25-14, 07:37 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Guess I'm the only one that thinks this car is super ugly.
Old 08-25-14, 07:53 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
Guess I'm the only one that thinks this car is super ugly.
pretty much, yep...I think it's a great looking design - great work Chevy!

Last edited by bagwell; 08-25-14 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-25-14, 10:26 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Uh no, nothing about my lights looks Camry to me .

As to body differences between all the test mules and the production car the panels are without change. My car below;
They must have made some changes in the production model because the previous pics did not have it stylistically the same? Anyone see a chiseled item more then expected. Am I solo dolo here?

aren't the taillight more like the current camry?
Attached Thumbnails Quick Spin: 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray-sat18.jpg   Quick Spin: 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray-barn1.jpg   Quick Spin: 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray-picasabackground-033.jpg  
Old 08-25-14, 10:44 AM
Hoovey689

Positively smitten by your Vette Jim !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quick Spin: 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray