Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

top 10 stolen vehicles 2013

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-14, 07:17 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default top 10 stolen vehicles 2013

Here’s the list of the 10 most stolen cars from all model years taken during 2013, according to the NICB, with total units cited:

1. Honda Accord, 53,995
2. Honda Civic, 45,001
3. Chevrolet Silverado, 27,809
4. Ford F-150, 26,494
5. Toyota Camry, 14,420
6. Dodge/Ram Pickup, 11,347
7. Dodge Caravan, 10,911
8. Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee, 9,272
9. Toyota Corolla, 9,010
10. Nissan Altima, 8,892

And here’s the top 10 list of new vehicles (from the 2013 model year) stolen last year, also based on NICB data:

1. Nissan Altima, 810
2. Ford Fusion, 793
3. Ford F-150, 775
4. Toyota Corolla, 669
5. Chevrolet Impala, 654
6. Hyundai Elantra, 541
7. Dodge Charger, 536
8. Chevrolet Malibu, 529
9. Chevrolet Cruze, 499
10. Ford Focus, 483

For its part the NICB warns consumers take a “layered” approach to help deter car thieves.

For starters, heed common sense precautions like never leaving the keys in the ignition when the vehicle is unattended, closing the windows and sunroof, keeping the car in the garage instead of leaving it in the driveway and parking it away from home it in a well-lit and well-traveled area. These may sound elementary to the point of being insulting, but the truth is that many thefts occur because owners make it far too easy for thieves to steal their cars.

In addition, the NICB recommends using an antitheft device, which will often also warrant a discount on your car insurance. A steering-wheel lock like the popular “Club” is simple, inexpensive and can be as effective as costlier alarm systems. A thief wants to get a vehicle as quickly as possible, and anything that might slow him or her down can be enough of a deterrent to instead choose another model on the block.

The NICB also advises installing a simple ignition kill switch or fuel cutoff device in a hidden location to make it that much more difficult for a crook to start a car or truck and drive it away.

We’d also suggest having your car or truck’s vehicle identification number (often called a “VIN,” it’s found on the driver’s side of the dashboard at the bottom of the windshield, as well as on the model’s title) etched on the windshield and major components to make them more difficult for chop shops to sell as replacement parts.

Beyond that, consider having a tracking device installed that leverages GPS telematics to afford remote monitoring of a vehicle via a smartphone or personal computer; the NICB says such devices are particularly effective in helping the police locate a car after it’s been stolen.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorze...rs-in-america/
Old 08-20-14, 07:59 AM
LexFather

Is the Accord never not #1? Wow.

Old 08-20-14, 08:32 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

so, being the Accord is more than 3X more likely to be stolen over a Camry, one could only assume the insurance for an Accord is more $... right?

i would buy a Camry over an Accord just for that reason alone....
Old 08-20-14, 08:51 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These data are presented without the base rate. That is the total number of each model on the road. Obviously a car that exists in greater numbers will be highly correlated to the number that were stolen.

I'd like to see these normalized by the total number of each model in existence... which would tell you how TRULY coveted each model is by a thief.
Old 08-20-14, 09:05 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Some years ago, the reason given for the large number of stolen Honda Civics was because they were easy to break into: a simple screwdriver could pop off the outside door handle and from there it was easy to open the door and get in the car.

Does anybody know if that is still the case? Are Hondas (Accord) easier to break into than Toyotas (Camry) or is it simply that an Accord is a more "appealing" car than the Camry?
Old 08-20-14, 09:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

on the second list there's no hondas at all, so i assume they fixed the problem with new ones.
Old 08-20-14, 09:23 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Infra
These data are presented without the base rate. That is the total number of each model on the road. Obviously a car that exists in greater numbers will be highly correlated to the number that were stolen.

I'd like to see these normalized by the total number of each model in existence... which would tell you how TRULY coveted each model is by a thief.

LOL, you wanna see car with the highest percentages?

Like....
Accord 18% were stolen
Camry 4% were stolen
Old 08-20-14, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

That shows you how much Asian-brand cars took over the American market. Unless one steals a car for simple joy-riding or criminal use (bank-robberies, drug-running, etc...), cars are usually broken into and stolen (or parts taken from them) to satisfy the demand from unscrupulous body and repair-shops who depend on stolen parts, which they install and charge the customer for as new or replacement parts. The Accord is usually high on the list because of the tremendous demand for not only the car itself and its general parts, but also Honda air bags, Because of Federal air-bag rules that sensors have to be reliable for ten years, they are usually plated with pure gold, which is why they are expensive and valuable. There are also SUV-theft rings in the U.S. to satisfy the demand in Mexico/Central America and other Third World countries for off-road-capable vehicles due to the extremely poor road conditons.

Incidentally, when I was growing up and learned to drive (1960s), the most sought-after car from thieves was the Corvette. Its power, masculine image, and charisma attracted thieves in droves, who, more often than not, simply stole it for a pedal-to-the-metal joy ride.
Old 08-20-14, 10:45 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Is the Accord never not #1? Wow.
I was thinking the same thing. Its been number 1 as long as I can remember . I would have assumed Honda would have gotten a little better at theft deterence but its such a common car those used parts are worth money.
Old 08-20-14, 11:09 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bagwell
LOL, you wanna see car with the highest percentages?

Like....
Accord 18% were stolen
Camry 4% were stolen
Ya, like

Integra - 95%
Old 08-20-14, 11:12 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Infra
Ya, like

Integra - 95%
ya, ok agreed...that would be nice.....but I've never seen it reported that way.

too much work??
Old 08-20-14, 02:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

European cars are such crap that people don't want to steal them?!?!
Old 08-20-14, 02:52 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
European cars are such crap that people don't want to steal them?!?!
Yes, yes they are.
Old 08-20-14, 09:25 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That shows you how much Asian-brand cars took over the American market. Unless one steals a car for simple joy-riding or criminal use (bank-robberies, drug-running, etc...), cars are usually broken into and stolen (or parts taken from them) to satisfy the demand from unscrupulous body and repair-shops who depend on stolen parts, which they install and charge the customer for as new or replacement parts. The Accord is usually high on the list because of the tremendous demand for not only the car itself and its general parts, but also Honda air bags, Because of Federal air-bag rules that sensors have to be reliable for ten years, they are usually plated with pure gold, which is why they are expensive and valuable. There are also SUV-theft rings in the U.S. to satisfy the demand in Mexico/Central America and other Third World countries for off-road-capable vehicles due to the extremely poor road conditons.

Incidentally, when I was growing up and learned to drive (1960s), the most sought-after car from thieves was the Corvette. Its power, masculine image, and charisma attracted thieves in droves, who, more often than not, simply stole it for a pedal-to-the-metal joy ride.
Isn't most of what you said also applicable to the Camry too? In fact it should apply even more since there are more Camry's out there than Accords (I'm assuming this based on sales figures of the two models). But why are the numbers of the Camry so much less, despite it being (theoretically) more popular on the road?
Old 08-20-14, 09:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Isn't most of what you said also applicable to the Camry too? In fact it should apply even more since there are more Camry's out there than Accords (I'm assuming this based on sales figures of the two models). But why are the numbers of the Camry so much less, despite it being (theoretically) more popular on the road?
I'm not an expert on the details of breaking into cars, but I have heard that there are some things about Camrys which, physically, and technically, make them more difficult and less-profitable than Accords for car thieves to break into. They seem to have a field day with Accords.

Quick Reply: top 10 stolen vehicles 2013