Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Teases Big Paris Motor Show Reveal

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-14, 10:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
I hate to say it, but it would take Lexus a lot more of investment to catch up with S-Class than to compete with Panamera.
but of course the panamera has been around a while and won't stand still.

not much point trying to hit the fastball that has already gone by you.

the panamera in particular is already a stunningly capable vehicle available in a bunch of variations with the usual endless options list and customization. there's no way lexus is going to offer that level of flexibility.

luxury is about getting what you want, and lexus still offers extremely limited 'inventory' and most dealers are not interested in special ordering.

lexus makes refined, reliable, and innovative luxury vehicles, but this is why they, in my view, are still not what people refer to as tier 1.
Old 08-20-14, 12:54 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but of course the panamera has been around a while and won't stand still.

not much point trying to hit the fastball that has already gone by you.

the panamera in particular is already a stunningly capable vehicle available in a bunch of variations with the usual endless options list and customization. there's no way lexus is going to offer that level of flexibility.

luxury is about getting what you want, and lexus still offers extremely limited 'inventory' and most dealers are not interested in special ordering.

lexus makes refined, reliable, and innovative luxury vehicles, but this is why they, in my view, are still not what people refer to as tier 1.
You dont see the LS line, LFA, LX as tier 1? IMO, these vehicles compete on a tier 1 level. There's no tier 2 cars that you care compare to the aforementioned vehicles. I believe a reason people may not see Lexus as tier 1 is because of the amount of ES's and RX's on the road that people see all the time so they're making an association with tier 2. SMH
Old 08-20-14, 12:59 PM
LexFather

Just wow

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
You dont see the LS line, LFA, LX as tier 1? IMO, these vehicles compete on a tier 1 level. There's no tier 2 cars that you care compare to the aforementioned vehicles. I believe a reason people may not see Lexus as tier 1 is because of the amount of ES's and RX's on the road that people see all the time so they're making an association with tier 2. SMH

Old 08-20-14, 01:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

This whole tier 1 etc. talk is 50% somewhat accurate, and 50% beauty is in the eye of the beholder. there will never be agreement on what tier vehicles are.
Old 08-20-14, 05:46 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
after seeing the latest genesis sedan, this infiniti concept does not impress me at all. it looks slouchy and overweight.
Slouchy and overweight from the grille teaser pic?

Originally Posted by bagwell
don't get me wrong...I really like Infiniti --- so let me re-phrase....sure they have the ability to do so, but I just believe financially they are kinda restricted right now and any effort they put forth would not be in their best interests and wind up being sort of like an Acura RLX. I hope not but those are just my thoughts.
I doubt very highly they are going to soup up an Altima and make that their flagship above the Q70 The Q90 or whatever it ends up being called will be a solid entry into that market. According to this article ( http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/19/i...cts-exclusive/ ), all the plans laid out by Johan de Nysschen are still in the works. Here's some quotes from the article:

Autoblog spoke with Michael Bartsch, vice president of Infiniti Americas, during Monterey Car Week, and he confirms Infiniti's brand direction is "still exactly as Johan presented it." Over the next five years, the company's portfolio will expand by 60 percent.

As for products, Bartsch let slip that Infiniti's lineup will grow to include eight sedans/coupes and five crossovers/SUVs – 13 model lines in total, up from the present eight.

Originally Posted by LexFather
Less teasers, more production cars. Hope its not ANOTHER SUV...
The QX30 should wrap things up as far as SUVs are concerned. Nothing wrong with having more product and more options. As you always say, "all SUVs sell", so having more choices is always a good thing

Look there is no business case for a flagship.
Then you better tell MB to discontinue the S-Class right away..

They are barely selling the M/Q70 anywhere in the world.
You mean the 4 year old model due to be refreshed within a month or two? How did the previous generation GS do after a 4 year run? Remember those numbers? (they weren't very pretty). Did the struggling 4 year old 3rd generation GS have any effect on the LS460? nope.

They rebadge them at Mitsubishi's to get any sort of revenue.
Oh is that why they let Mitsubishi rebadge the M?
I'll agree that they shouldn't have let Mitsu rebadge their car and sell it as their own, but this statement that they did it to "get any sort of revenue" is rather misleading. Got a link that states that's the reason for the rebadge?

If they cannot sell a 50-70k sedan how on earth will they sell a 70-90k one?
More misleading info. They can sell an 80k SUV (one that outsells the LX I might add), yet you claim they can't sell a 50-70k sedan? The previous generation M sold as well and sometimes better than the previous generation GS. The current M sold well when it was new 4 years ago. The fact that it's still selling decently after 4 years and due for a refresh speaks volumes.

With Johan gone, Carlos will insist all projects make money.
Carlos also insisted hybrids were a fad. Newsflash: It's not 2002 anymore. His opinions from 12 years ago obviously have changed. If he green lighted their current hybrids and the Eau Rogue concept, that becomes obvious pretty quickly.

I believe a reason people may not see Lexus as tier 1 is because of the amount of ES's and RX's on the road that people see all the time so they're making an association with tier 2. SMH
This is exactly why some people don't see Lexus as Tier 1. When 70% of your sales come from FWD models based on cheaper non-luxury Toyota platforms, it tarnishes that "luxury" image a bit. Not saying I agree with it, but it is what it is.

Last edited by Lex2InfiN; 08-20-14 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-20-14, 07:02 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

People get so touchy here.

Not to put words in Bit's mouth but I think the point he is making is that MB and BMW have recognized that haves want to be able to configure their car to their liking and are willing to pay for it.

The other extremely is seen with the dumb Azzes at Hyundai who reduced the options/ choices for the Equus to very few.

Lexus plays the custom card at home so we know they can do it. I have long grumbled that we should get that kind of choice here.
Old 08-20-14, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
The other extremely is seen with the dumb Azzes at Hyundai who reduced the options/ choices for the Equus to very few.
Agreed. I've long complained that I thought that the choice of only four paint colors for the 60K+ Equus (white/silver/gray/black) was insulting to buyers.
Old 08-20-14, 07:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

It's difficult not to include the LS460 as a Tier 1. The LS, along with the Mercedes S550, pretty much sets the standard for full-size luxury sedans anywhere this side of a 300K Bentley or Rolls Royce, although the Audi A8 is probably close.
Old 08-21-14, 07:47 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

OMG, am I being classified as a Tier 2 because I drive a GS350? Note to self... move up to Tier 1 car.
Old 08-21-14, 08:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dseag2
OMG, am I being classified as a Tier 2 because I drive a GS350? Note to self... move up to Tier 1 car.
None of us are Tier 1 according to some in this thread who are obviously obvlibious to the facts at hand. The data has been posted for years here, with links to all the facts showing support for Lexus. For goodness sakes Infiniti themselves stated they would like to reach Tier 1 status like Lexus. Yet we are to believe some promoter who says otherwise Straight comedy.. There is now some odd tirade about the GS which isn't even worth responding to its so bad in thought.

What shall we do?!?!??! Not Tier 1 according to Tier 8 people!

Old 08-21-14, 08:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i don't believe the rx/es diminish the brand, as particularly elsewhere, the german brands sell plenty of stripper cloth seat small cars. the LS is an awesome, luxurious, refined, and impeccably made vehicle. the lfa was a blip on the radar and now not available. the lx, yes, i'd consider that very high end... let's call lexus tier 1.5 then.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's difficult not to include the LS460 as a Tier 1. The LS, along with the Mercedes S550, pretty much sets the standard for full-size luxury sedans anywhere this side of a 300K Bentley or Rolls Royce, although the Audi A8 is probably close.
if i were in the market for a luxury sedan, i'd LOVE to own an LS, but it isn't even close in options and configurations to s-class, 7 series, a8, panamera, and jaguar xj. yes even xj, here's a quote from their website on interior choices:

Interior Colors and Materials

Personalize your XJ with a variety of color combinations. You can also choose the leather grain and color, veneer, stitching and headliner.
Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Not to put words in Bit's mouth but I think the point he is making is that MB and BMW have recognized that haves want to be able to configure their car to their liking and are willing to pay for it.
Lexus plays the custom card at home so we know they can do it. I have long grumbled that we should get that kind of choice here.
thank you - excellent. better stated than i did, but yes, it's about customization, not whether the LS of LFA are awesome vehicles in their own right (which they are!).
Old 08-22-14, 07:31 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Enough with the tier 1 or 2 madness! That mess mostly drives your purchase if what other people think of you matters.
Old 09-03-14, 07:08 AM
zema
Driver

At 15:30 local time on October 2 in Hall 5 of the Parc des Expositions de Versailles in Paris, Infiniti shows a concept car that foreshadows an audacious top-of-the-line model. Named Q80 Inspiration, the intent of the low-slung, ingeniously aggressive four-passenger fastback is to demonstrate to the premium world just how Infiniti aims to play its part.

Source: http://infinitinews.com/en-CA/infini...um-progressive
Old 09-04-14, 12:39 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Infiniti Q80 Inspiration Concept Likely Previews Four-Door Coupe

Infiniti just dropped a second teaser shot and has revealed the name of its upcoming Paris Auto Show Concept that will be called the Q80 Inspiration.

The Japanese firm tells us that the sporty study "foreshadows an audacious top-of-the-line model" with its dimensions placing it at the "peak of the Infiniti range.

In the short press release, the automaker added that "the intent of the low-slung, ingeniously aggressive four-passenger fastback is to demonstrate to the premium world just how Infiniti aims to play its part".

From the picture, it looks like the Q80 could be the rumored four-door coupe model, loosely based on the Essence Concept.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/09/new...n-concept.html
Old 09-04-14, 01:59 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, that looks pretty cool. Please look more like the Q50 and not the Q70

Quick Reply: Infiniti Teases Big Paris Motor Show Reveal