Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Teases Big Paris Motor Show Reveal

Old 08-19-14, 10:08 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Sounds like it will be a sedan above the M or whatever else they are calling it or closer production version of the Q50 with the GTR engine. I am looking forward to it but cautiously optimistic, the current M was a huge let down.

Where is the new G37/Q50 coupe? I have not even heard rumors about it which is odd since it was a decent seller and the G35 coupe really helped revive Infiniti.
Old 08-19-14, 10:41 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man if the LS and this rumored Q90 try to go for a more Panamera sedan sports coupe hybrid, it's almost like admitting defeat.
Old 08-19-14, 10:52 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
Man if the LS and this rumored Q90 try to go for a more Panamera sedan sports coupe hybrid, it's almost like admitting defeat.
Kinda. S-Class is going to base Pullman and Maybach variant, a class above the top-ultra-luxury-class which S-class is in. What do you think Lexus and Infiniti can do? Better admit defeat and do something more bargain like they always have. I hate to say it, but it would take Lexus a lot more of investment to catch up with S-Class than to compete with Panamera.
Old 08-19-14, 10:56 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The comment about "scale" is pretty vague. Scale of size? Scale of performance? Scale of soul?

I am sort of inclined to go with the first option, which makes me think this could be the Q30 or QX30, since Infiniti has technically had a flagship before, but never something smaller than the G/Q50.
Well, as mentioned in another thread, they did have the G20 back in the day which was their smallest sedan to date.

Could also be a GT-R-type car, since they've never had that before.
I'm thinking it might be the official unveiling of the Q50 Eau Rogue concept, but as a production car. They've been doing too much track testing lately and there's been too much buzz for them not to be putting this concept into production. It's definitely happening.

I love the idea of a four door coupe to compete with the Panamera, but I'm just not sure if their current brand image will support such a product. Seems like it might make more sense to start at the bottom end - Q/QX30 - and build up.
I actually don't like either idea to be honest. Once they have a proper flagship again, then they can experiment with more niche models like an A7 competitor, CLS competitor, Panamera, etc. But now is not the time for that. Furthermore, I think the Q30 should be a compact sedan and not a hatch, as again, it will probably be a niche model and will not bring in the volume they are thinking it will bring in. If they're smart, they'll continue offering the Q40 after MY2015 and turn it into a FWD sedan to compete with the TLX, ES, etc. (ala the former I35). But a premium hatch is not going to sell nearly as well as they think.

Originally Posted by bagwell
Agreed, I just don't think they can put together a worthy LS/7-Series/S-Class competitor.
right.

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I would hope they would produce a vehicle along the lines of the 1990-1996 Q45.
This. I don't think many on here realize how amazingly awesome the 1st Gen Q45 really was. High quality in and out and built like a tank. The 2nd & 3rd gens don't even compare to the 1st generation Q45s. Unfortunately, they're the ones that most people tend to remember though. Shame.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
interesting. i disagree, and believe they can.
Of course they can. They've done it before, they can do it again. Will be very interesting to see how well the LWB Q70 sells once it comes out. Might be a way for them to test the waters on a proper flagship (Q90?).

Originally Posted by UDel
Sounds like it will be a sedan above the M or whatever else they are calling it or closer production version of the Q50 with the GTR engine. I am looking forward to it but cautiously optimistic, the current M was a huge let down.
Design-wise, I agree. But the M/Q70 is still a high quality luxury sedan.

Originally Posted by UDel
Where is the new G37/Q50 coupe? I have not even heard rumors about it which is odd since it was a decent seller and the G35 coupe really helped revive Infiniti.
Johan apparently sent it back to the drawing board a year or so ago and there has been little to no mention of it since. I would think it would be coming within the next year or two, but no mention of it anywhere lately. I would be surprised (pleasantly) if this is what they're revealing in Paris. I still say though that it's going to be the production version of the Q50 Eau Rogue concept.

Edit: After reading other articles on this, it says they're revealing a "concept", so it's not the Eau Rogue. Hmmm

Last edited by Lex2InfiN; 08-20-14 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-20-14, 02:36 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

after seeing the latest genesis sedan, this infiniti concept does not impress me at all. it looks slouchy and overweight.
Old 08-20-14, 06:13 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^What are you talking about? All you can see is the grille.
Old 08-20-14, 06:54 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
interesting. i disagree, and believe they can.
Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
right.
don't get me wrong...I really like Infiniti --- so let me re-phrase....sure they have the ability to do so, but I just believe financially they are kinda restricted right now and any effort they put forth would not be in their best interests and wind up being sort of like an Acura RLX. I hope not but those are just my thoughts.
Old 08-20-14, 07:05 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's possible, they just have to have the right vision. I'm personally for it, but I think in reality it won't be the awesome thing I picture in my mind
I actually feel the same on this one...
Old 08-20-14, 07:24 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

^What are you talking about? All you can see is the grille.
He's using the Force.
Old 08-20-14, 07:56 AM
LexFather

Less teasers, more production cars. Hope its not ANOTHER SUV...

Look there is no business case for a flagship. They are barely selling the M/Q70 anywhere in the world. They rebadge them at Mitsubishi's to get any sort of revenue. If they cannot sell a 50-70k sedan how on earth will they sell a 70-90k one? With Johan gone, Carlos will insist all projects make money.

Maybe it previews the next gen Q70.....

Old 08-20-14, 09:04 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yowps3
Well they've moved their headquarters from Japan to Hong Kong, they've hired many non-Japanese execs and now they'll be using MB parts and whatnot
This is a means to create a brand that's not overwhelmed by Nissan's culture. Japan is too small to move to another city, it's not like Germany where Audi can be in Ingolstadt and VW can be in Berlin, a 4.5 hour drive.
Old 08-20-14, 09:20 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Look there is no business case for a flagship. They are barely selling the M/Q70 anywhere in the world. They rebadge them at Mitsubishi's to get any sort of revenue. If they cannot sell a 50-70k sedan how on earth will they sell a 70-90k one? With Johan gone, Carlos will insist all projects make money.

Maybe it previews the next gen Q70.....

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Last edited by bagwell; 08-20-14 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-20-14, 09:21 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by yowps3
Well they've moved their headquarters from Japan to Hong Kong, they've hired many non-Japanese execs and now they'll be using MB parts and whatnot
So?

Cars are global products. Most design studios are in California. MB's head designer is from the balkans..

Renualt owns Nissan and will do as it pleases to make the brand successful, its a business not a cultural center.
Old 08-20-14, 10:02 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

could it be the q50 coupe?
Old 08-20-14, 10:21 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doge
could it be the q50 coupe?
Its called the Q60 now.