Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Toyota Camry facelift

Old 09-02-14, 04:28 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

the c-pillar reminds me of the late 80's early 90's Camry. anyways, i would take the Avalon over this. similar price (with discounts on Avalons) you get a bigger, more luxurious ride.
Old 09-02-14, 05:23 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Interesting to see that the 6 cylinder is now only available on models costing over $30k. I guess it doesn't sell as well as it used to. Nice to see that the hybrid SE is now a permanent model and not just a limited edition like last year.
Old 09-02-14, 06:11 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A $5K premium to get the 6-cylinder is pretty steep. Perhaps the upgrades that come with the engine upgrade is worth it but it just seems high. You can get an Avalon with the same V-6 for just a grand or two more than the top Camry. Avalon is the easy choice in that scenario. Also, it's more than the hybrid versions. I have to imagine the actual manufacturing costs are more for the hybrid than the V-6 that is used in so many cars.
Old 09-02-14, 06:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
A $5K premium to get the 6-cylinder is pretty steep. Perhaps the upgrades that come with the engine upgrade is worth it but it just seems high. You can get an Avalon with the same V-6 for just a grand or two more than the top Camry. Avalon is the easy choice in that scenario. Also, it's more than the hybrid versions. I have to imagine the actual manufacturing costs are more for the hybrid than the V-6 that is used in so many cars.
well, XLE with V6 gets standard full LED headlights, leather interior, 7" premium NAV, etc, etc... it is not just V6 upgrade. Avalon with all that equipment is $41k. So there is $9k difference in price.

Also base Camry gains 8-way power seat.

The two most popular Camry models, LE and SE, receive pricing that is virtually unchanged from the 2014.5 model. Both models are equipped with the 2.5-liter four-cylinder. Each is each heavily equipped with standard convenience features and for 2015 add 8-way power driver’s seat with power lumbar support, shift lever boot with contrast stitching, satin chrome interior accents, passenger window auto up-down, chrome front upper grille and rear trunk garnish (smoked chrome on SE), and heated outside mirrors. The SE gas model also adds a standard 4.2-inch TFT multi-information display and direct tire pressure monitor system.

Camry XSE and XLE models equipped with the four-cylinder engine each add more standard features over the LE and SE, including leather-trimmed seating with multi-stage heated front seats and four-way power passenger seat on the XLE or leather-trimmed seating with Ultrasuede® inserts and multi-stage heated front seats and 4-way power passenger seat on the XSE. Additional standard features include Entune Audio Plus multimedia system, LED daytime running lights, 17-inch alloy wheels with a super chrome finish on the XLE and 18-inch alloy wheels with machined face and black paint for the XSE. In all, there is nearly $1,200 worth of added standard equipment for the XLE but an MSRP increase of only $340.

Camry V6 versions of the XSE and XLE add standard LED high and low headlights, Smart Key entry, Entune Premium Audio with Navigation and App Suite including a 7-inch High-Resolution Touch-Screen Display, power tilt/slide moonroof, Qi wireless charging capability and much more.
http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...ry+pricing.htm
Old 09-02-14, 06:34 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, XLE with V6 gets standard full LED headlights, leather interior, 7" premium NAV, etc, etc... it is not just V6 upgrade. Avalon with all that equipment is $41k. So there is $9k difference in price.

Also base Camry gains 8-way power seat.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...ry+pricing.htm
you sure about that? i just priced out a '14 Avalon XLE Touring with all of those amenities minus the LED headlights for $30k on Truecar.com
Old 09-02-14, 06:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
you sure about that? i just priced out a '14 Avalon XLE Touring with all of those amenities minus the LED headlights for $30k on Truecar.com
You need to get to Limited to match the features. So MSRP it is $41k vs $32k.

As to using discounted pricing on Avalon vs full retail on Camry, thats obviously wrong.

If you compare current XLE Camry to Limited Avalon without pre-collision, difference in price is still $8k-9k - Camry is also discounted at Trucar to $27k vs $35k for Avalon Limited.

If anything, due to high sales, Camry deal will always be easier to find.
Old 09-02-14, 06:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Absolutely. A loaded Avalon is definitely over $40k.
Old 09-02-14, 06:58 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still, you can't compare the 2 cars based on feature content. The price difference really comes down to the Avalon being built as a larger, more premium level car to begin with. The Avalon gives you near luxury standard in a much more premium looking package with more advanced engineering, etc...

From an ultimate value standpoint, the Camry is always going to win. Luxurious cars always lose in the bang for the buck factor. But these nicer things are always worth the premium for some. I'd have no problem spending $8K more for the Avalon just as many people spend $15K+ over the Camry to get an ES.
Old 02-10-15, 10:02 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Toyota Camry is More of the Same With a Bolder Face

The Camry is the definitive popular sedan in the US, but in recent years it was overshadowed by much sportier and more purposeful looking models. When Toyota redesigned it for 2015 they really wanted to show they were putting up a fight, and thus the resulting model got a much bolder look than ever before.

Aside from the new face, the rest of the car features incremental improvements over the outgoing car, but KBB says that’s by no means a bad thing. They say even the sportier trims are more relevant and have a more pronounced effect on how the car feels – the bigger wheels, better seats and sharper steering of the XSE add to the driving experience.

Also, the reviewer notes that the brakes are “curiously powerful,” but that can’t be a bad thing, and could actually be noted as a safety feature .
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/201...same-with.html
Old 02-12-15, 03:31 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Toyota May Extend TRD Line to Passenger Cars, Camry TRD May Come First

Toyota wants to make its passenger cars more attractive to younger customers by offering Toyota Racing Development (TRD) tuner editions. The first TRD-branded passenger car may be the Camry, which could arrive as early as this year.

Toyota executives are confident they can replicate the success TRD editions have had in attracting younger customers to Toyota trucks.

“I think we’d probably start with Camry and see if there is a little magic we could work with some of the TRD equity that we have. Camrys are out there during season racing every Saturday and Sunday in NASCAR. So I think there’s a logical fit there,” Bill Fay, general manager of Toyota Division, told AutoNews.

The executive said a Camry TRD could arrive by year’s end but is more likely to launch in 2016. While a tuned Camry may not suit the tastes of the typical Camry crowd, Toyota could gain new customers and make more money as a consequence.

TRD editions currently on offer for the Tundra and Tacoma pickups and 4Runner SUV have higher sticker prices and are very popular. For example, about 40 percent of Tacoma buyers choose TRD models, according to Toyota.

Bob Carter, Toyota Motor Sales’ senior vice president of automotive operations, is also in favor of TRD passenger cars. “I’m a big advocate of TRD and racing. Whether we do it as a total package or a dealer-installed option or a port-installed option, there are several different paths we are looking at,” Carter said.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/toy...passenger.html
Old 02-13-15, 11:58 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
the c-pillar reminds me of the late 80's early 90's Camry.
Interesting observation, perhaps a 25-year throwback?

Having seen my first example back in December of the 2015 Camry, I do not understand why some endlessly gripe (outside of CL) about it. Anyone with common sense knows it was a facelift, not a redesign. The W212 E-Class went through same level of changes and cost a fortune as well, plus hype. Sure the Camry isn't the most exciting vehicle, but it does what is necessary. That said, I have sat in an XSE twice at US auto shows, it is a good start.

I only can wonder what Toyota's executive board are approving for 2017 production right now, and if revolutionary is the keyword here for that 2018 model's design. No one will know that for about 2 years of course. The 2012 Camry was practically finished when Akio Toyoda took over in June 2009, hence why he said the 2013 Avalon was the first US Toyota sedan to be fully affected by his directorial touch in 2010.
Old 03-24-15, 02:53 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2015 Toyota Camry Extremo isn't really at all extreme

Packs a 167 bhp punch

Toyota has introduced the facelifted Camry Extremo at the 2015 Bangkok Motor Show.

Sharing the spotlight in Thailand with the limited-run Corolla ESport Nürburgring Edition, Toyota's Camry Extremo is a permanent offering in the local portfolio for those who want their mid-size sedan with a sportier appearance. It was recently facelifted and despite the moniker it isn't at all extreme as power comes from a mundane four-cylinder, 2.0-liter engine.

The good news is Toyota has bumped the motor's output by 20 bhp (15 kW) and 9 Nm (6 lb-ft) so it is now capable of delivering a total of 167 bhp (124 kW) and 199 Nm (147 lb-ft) of torque sent to the road via a new six-speed automatic transmission.

Slotting underneath the beefier Camry 2.5G, the Toyota Camry Extremo features a more aggressive body kit and comes with ventilated seats, adaptive cruise control, wireless smartphone charging and a three-zone climate control system.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11503249...at-all-extreme

Old 03-24-15, 05:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

omg

and this cracked me up: Corolla ESport Nürburgring Edition

what's next, yaris "dragster" edition, or highlander "drift" edition?
Old 03-24-15, 05:25 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

from a distance, the camry looks too much like the GSF, or vice versa.

Old 03-24-15, 06:25 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
omg

and this cracked me up: Corolla ESport Nürburgring Edition

what's next, yaris "dragster" edition, or highlander "drift" edition?
They already had the Camry Dragster

and the "Dragquoia"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Toyota Camry facelift