Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac Planning Sub-ATS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-14, 10:01 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Numbers have something to do with it. The LS600h is a sales flop and has done nothing for the Lexus brand.
To a certain degree yes, but they know going into it that a car of that caliber or the technology isn't intended for the sole purpose of profit. As it stands Lexus was able to highlight it was the worlds first V8 AWD Hybrid but they did little to highlight it which is why it left the lime light quickly.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 08-19-14 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-19-14, 10:16 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are wrong. The Escalade is all about status, status, status, and some bling. The Escalade is perceived as a more desirable SUV than a GL, Navigator, Range Rover and yes a Lexus LX.
To who? Middle America?

People of substantial means buy Range Rover, GL, LX and top end X5.

Go to some of the truly wealthy suburbs in this country and you do not see Escalades. Escalade is a car for the middle America who has done well and can buy up a class from Suburban/Tahoe.

Range Rover/LX are really in a league of their own. Period.
Old 08-19-14, 11:35 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

A flagship would do nothing right now. Cadillac had their chance in the mid 90s.

Cadillac has no problem selling the Escalade at Lexus prices but they can't get Lexus/MB/BMW people into their ATS and CTS.

Cadillac would do well as a sub luxury or entry luxury car.
Nope.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
To who? Middle America?

Go to some of the truly wealthy suburbs in this country and you do not see Escalades. Escalade is a car for the middle America who has done well and can buy up a class from Suburban/Tahoe.

Yep. The Escalade is purchased by people who would rather buy a Yukon or Suburban than the GL if the Escalade was not available... that is, they'd never buy a German or Japanese vehicle in the first place.

I see an order of magnitude more GLs, LXs, Range Rovers, & Q7s than I see Escalades, each respectively. Unless I travel to the field (oil field), then I only see Escalades among those who came from blue collar roots. Cadillac has a serious demographic issue on their hands, because the people who buy their SUVs are people who do not buy sedans. Their other vehicle is a truck.

My question is, if they can't sell as many ATSs and CTSs as they'd like to, who is going to buy a sub-ATS?
Old 08-19-14, 11:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
To a certain degree yes, but they know going into it that a car of that caliber or the technology isn't intended for the sole purpose of profit. As it stands Lexus was able to highlight it was the worlds first V8 AWD Hybrid but they did little to highlight it which is why it left the lime light quickly.
No. To an entire degree the Ls600 has done nothing for Lexus. It was supposed to be the Lexus alternative to a V12 but instead it flopped. The LS600 has been an epic fail.
Old 08-19-14, 11:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

To who? Middle America?

You are wrong. The Escalade is more prestigious than the LX. It even sells better.
Old 08-19-14, 11:56 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are wrong. The Escalade is more prestigious than the LX. It even sells better.
I've driven last two gen Escalade, they look nice exteriors wise, but they are crap.
Old 08-19-14, 11:56 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know how you can claim that someone is explicitly wrong in something that is so subjective. Sales volume and "prestige" don't often go hand in hand.

I'd like to know how you rank the LX as more prestigious than than the LX, and that it is more desirable than the GL and Range Rover.

The BRAND NEW Escalade still requires significant incentives, ~$4,000 per vehicle. Lexus LX was at ~$200 per vehicle, Range Rover $0, Range Rover Sport <$100, Mercedes GL - the sales leader in the segment, is at ~$2,500.

Escalades are widely used as fleet/limo vehicles, which in a lot of people's eyes diminishes the "prestige" of a vehicle.

But this is all off topic for an ATS thread.
Old 08-19-14, 12:10 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

By this logic, Camry is more prestigious than Escalade? And Escalade is more prestigious than Rolls Royce?
Old 08-19-14, 12:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Hu
By this logic, Camry is more prestigious than Escalade? And Escalade is more prestigious than Rolls Royce?
That is your logic, not mine. I never said anything about the Camry.

It just so happens that the Escalade is the most prestigious large SUV and it also sells better. What don't you get?
Old 08-19-14, 12:14 PM
LexFather

Thread about a sub ATS turns into

-LS 600h L was a flop
-LX 570 is the sucks
-Escalade is the greatest SUV of all time

Sounds about right here...

Old 08-19-14, 12:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

No. To an entire degree the Ls600 has done nothing for Lexus. It was supposed to be the Lexus alternative to a V12 but instead it flopped. The LS600 has been an epic fail.
Initially they said it had V12 'like' acceleration. Never a true alternative, it dwindled. So while in some eyes it failed, it holds a place in automotive history as an uber advanced sedan (the experience is serene btw) and part of Lexus's hybrid past which is showing no signs of slowing down with up to 6 models Stateside when the NX debuts. Not to mention the next AWD Hybrid Performance system is expected to produce 500+hp

but I digress. This thread is about the ATS, not sure how we all went so awry
Old 08-19-14, 12:20 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

That is your logic, not mine. I never said anything about the Camry.

It just so happens that the Escalade is the most prestigious large SUV and it also sells better. What don't you get?
I'm not sure what YOU don't understand, but one of the primary reasons that the Escalade sells better than the LX is because it is significantly less expensive and also comes in two different models (do they still make the truck?).

Also, you brought up the argument about things selling in higher volumes indicating that they are more prestigious - not me. By your flawed logic, Wal-Mart is a more prestigious place to shop than Bloomingdales.

I can't even take you seriously right now.

Old 08-19-14, 12:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Initially they said it had V12 'like' acceleration. Never a true alternative, it dwindled. So while in some eyes it failed, it holds a place in automotive history as an uber advanced sedan (the experience is serene btw) and part of Lexus's hybrid past which is showing no signs of slowing down with up to 6 models Stateside when the NX debuts. Not to mention the next AWD Hybrid Performance system is expected to produce 500+hp

but I digress. This thread is about the ATS, not sure how we all went so awry
The LS600 holds no place in automotive history other than it was a flop. That is my opinion and I am sticking to it. You can have yours. I love Lexus, owned a few and will defend Lexus but I have to admit that sometimes they makes mistakes. The 600 was a mistake.

So lets move on.
Old 08-19-14, 12:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure what YOU don't understand, but one of the primary reasons that the Escalade sells better than the LX is because it is significantly less expensive and also comes in two different models (do they still make the truck?).

Also, you brought up the argument about things selling in higher volumes indicating that they are more prestigious - not me. By your flawed logic, Wal-Mart is a more prestigious place to shop than Bloomingdales.

I can't even take you seriously right now.

Good, don't take me serious. Have a nice day!
Old 08-19-14, 12:38 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He thinks he's Batman, and his opinion is the fact. Let's move on. This is sub-ATS thread anyway.

Quick Reply: Cadillac Planning Sub-ATS?