Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scoop: 2017 Chrysler Town & Country Makes its First Appearance

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-14, 12:06 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scoop: 2017 Chrysler Town & Country Makes its First Appearance

Click here to view more photos

There's no replacement planned for the Dodge Grand Caravan, but Chrysler has confirmed the introduction of a new Town & Country for 2016 and these are the first photos of an early test mule.

There's not much we can say about the appearance of the engineering prototype, because besides the plastic wraps, it appears to be wearing bits and pieces from various other Chrysler Group models, including a Dodge-sourced steering wheel and instrument cluster, and Chrysler 200-style headlamps.

It does look to be similar in size to the current model, as evidenced in one of the scoop photos where it stands next to a current generation Dodge Grand Caravan, though it does feature a more slopping roofline.

Previously, Chrysler had shown a 700C concept to gauge interest from customers for a less traditionally styled minivan. While there is a possibility that the Detroit firm may use the name for the Town & Country's replacement, it remains unknown if any of the design cues will be applied to the new model.

There's a lot of speculation about the minivan's chassis as well, with some sources claiming that Chrysler will reutilize the current model's chassis upgraded with newer and lighter components, and others stating that it will share a brand new architecture with upcoming crossovers from Chrysler and Dodge.

From Chrysler's most recent product plan, we know for sure that the new Town & Country will offer a plug-in hybrid variant (PHEV), but were are in the dark on whether it will use a turbocharged four or a V6 engine. The firm's new nine-speed automatic will most likely be the only transmission available, but we could see Chrysler adding the option of AWD.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/08/sco...try-makes.html
Old 08-18-14, 12:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

New T&C and Kia Sedona should add some healthy competition to the Sienna, Odyssey and the funky Quest.
Old 08-18-14, 01:21 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

If it looks anything like the 700C concept, they should beat the designers with baseball bats.
Old 08-18-14, 02:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

You can tell from the crosshatch grille/lower front end cutouts that it is not going to look like the 700C concept.
Old 08-18-14, 02:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

It does share a swoopy DRL with the 700C, but I think the front will be refined like the 200
Old 08-18-14, 05:29 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Comparison: The best I could do with the crappy pics.

Old 08-18-14, 07:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

it's hard to call that an 'appearance'.
Old 08-18-14, 08:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Comparison: The best I could do with the crappy pics.

Don't worry....they are fine. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Note, though, that on the Carscoop shot, it shows a Dodge steering wheel. Maybe there will be a Dodge version of it, after all....we'll have to want and see.
Old 08-19-14, 05:17 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

With Chrysler's strong Fiat influence, I have a feeling this new minivan will be light years ahead of the current gen in refinement and driving dynamics.
Old 08-19-14, 08:56 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny that the mule has a Dodge steering wheel in it when it's only going to be a Chrysler Town and Country haha
Old 08-19-14, 09:06 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
With Chrysler's strong Fiat influence, I have a feeling this new minivan will be light years ahead of the current gen in refinement and driving dynamics.
Don't think Chrysler's homegrown engineers are short of talent either. There's plenty of them contributing to Alfa Romeo's upcoming models.
Old 08-19-14, 04:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Funny that the mule has a Dodge steering wheel in it when it's only going to be a Chrysler Town and Country haha

................Unless that was done to try and deliberately fool the spy-shooters. Whenever a new vehicle is all-new or extensively redesigned, it's always the same bull**** cat-and-mouse game between the mule-disguisers and those trying to get sneak-shots....who can stay one-up on the other. I got tired of it years ago, but the manufacturers just won't stop using those idiotic bras and covers before the auto shows, so complaining about it won't do much good. We just have to put up with it, I guess.
Old 02-19-15, 03:01 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2017 Chrysler Town & Country spied inside & out

Will be launched next year

The 2017 Chrysler Town & Country has been spied undergoing testing in the United States.

Dressed in heavily camouflage, the redesigned minivan has a new front fascia that is heavily inspired by the Chrysler 200. Additional styling details are hard to make out but we can see door-mounted mirrors and a less boxy shape. There are also some parts from the Dodge Durango that suggest this prototype isn't completely finished.

The interior photos are more revealing as we can see higher quality materials and an improved design. Notable highlights include a new multi-function steering wheel, a Uconnect infotainment system and an instrument cluster with a large LCD display. The van also has wood trim, metallic accents and what appears to be a rotary gear selector on the center console. A previous patent filing also suggested the minivan will have improved Stow 'n Go seats that are easier to hide underneath the floor.

Engine options remained unconfirmed but power could be provided by a 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 engine that is connected to a nine-speed automatic transmission. Chrysler's five-year plan also revealed there will be a plug-in hybrid variant but little is known about it.

The redesigned Town & Country will be introduced at the 2016 North American International Auto Show and Chrysler brand President Al Gardner recently revealed pricing will start at approximately $26,000.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11502198...ed-inside--out

Old 02-20-15, 08:34 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Having owned a couple of the earlier-generation Mopar Minis, the changes are astonishing. The instrumentation and center stack look like something you'd find in a stylish sedan rather than a utilitarian mommy-van, and there appears to be an actual console that will occupy the space between the front seats rather than a narrow passage for those "Don't make me come back there!" moments.

Power? Having had both the "big" and "little" motors in our vans, I can attest to the fact that there's little real-world performance benefit in the V6. Sure, while city driving doesn't make a lot of difference in the stoplight gran prix, highway passing with the I4 is kinda pokey. But the trade-off in fuel economy is considerable - again in the real world rather than the test cycle. You pays your money and you takes your choice. I suppose if I really wanted a van for the stoplight drags, I'd rip out the rear seats and install a blown Hemi midships with a locker rear end - THEN I'd get respect. For me, the "big" V6 I long supported is not entirely practical. We'll have to see what the '17 van does on arrival.

The exterior seems to be going back a generation to the more sophisticated aerodynamics of the Chrysler/Daimler consortium, rather than the bread van styling of the current generation with its slab sides and square tailgate that makes it look like something built for the Post Office. Sleek as the '17 appears, I am concerned about the rear suicide doors making it to production. They would make entry and exit in a parking lot almost impossible, particularly if you're trying to wrestle a couple of kids into car seats while handling a load of groceries.

Those sliding side doors on previous models - now the industry standard - are ugly, granted, and contribute to the slab-sided look on any van - but they are incredibly convenient in a tight parking space. Even when you can't get a grocery cart alongside because some mutt parked his one-ton dually too close, there's usually plenty of space to sidle alongside, pop the door, and with a few short trips to the rear, load a couple weeks' worth of comestibles on board.
Old 02-20-15, 09:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Having owned a couple of the earlier-generation Mopar Minis, the changes are astonishing.
Did you get stuck with any Dodge/Chrysler minivans with that notoriously unreliable UltraDrive 4-speed automatic? It was not unusual for one of those vehicles to go through several transmissions in its lifetime. An ex-supervisor of mine had one that went through four of them.

Quick Reply: Scoop: 2017 Chrysler Town & Country Makes its First Appearance