Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Here's one reason Mitsubishi is doing poorly in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-14, 12:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I drove my boss's Outlander once. IIRC it was a late 2000's model. Very poor fit and finish, the thing was falling apart. The power seats didn't work.
Was it a company vehicle, or your boss's personal DD? Company cars sometimes get more than their share of abuse. ..as I saw in many years of Federal service.

My friend has an 08 Lancer that he really likes though, and it looks gorgeous in blue. I don't think they've made any changes to it since then though, and that hasn't helped things.
You're correct that they haven't made any major changes to American-market Lancers since the major redesign in 2007, except to change the grille to that huge blacked-out trapezoid....which, IMO, looks like a big vaccum-cleaner about to scoop up anything in its path.

Old 08-20-14, 07:27 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're correct that they haven't made any major changes to American-market Lancers since the major redesign in 2007, except to change the grille to that huge blacked-out trapezoid....which, IMO, looks like a big vaccum-cleaner about to scoop up anything in its path.

LOL, that's the ONLY thing I like about the lancer!
Old 08-20-14, 07:52 AM
LexFather

Mitsu's problems are well documented, lets hope they can turn it around. We need more car makers not less of them.

To me the car that proved to me they were clueless was the handling of the Eclipse. That car was so hot the first two generations, it performed well, was priced well, had an optional turbo and AWD and while not the best built thing it was super appealing. Then they turned it into an awful driving/handling FWD car with just oddball styling. I drove it a few times and it offered the worst of all worlds.

Matter of fact it might belong in the "worst cars I've driven" thread.

Old 08-20-14, 09:02 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexFather
Mitsu's problems are well documented, lets hope they can turn it around. We need more car makers not less of them.

To me the car that proved to me they were clueless was the handling of the Eclipse. That car was so hot the first two generations, it performed well, was priced well, had an optional turbo and AWD and while not the best built thing it was super appealing. Then they turned it into an awful driving/handling FWD car with just oddball styling. I drove it a few times and it offered the worst of all worlds.

I think the 3rd gen was their most successful in terms of wide appeal. I remember a lot of them in my high school parking lot.

The 4th gen turned it all.... weird.
Old 08-20-14, 09:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather

Agreed....the 3Gen, especially the standard N/A four, was a major letdown (and lost a lot of sales), although its build quality improved a little over the rattle-and-squeak and paint-defect 2Gen. Mitsubishi's excuse, however, for toning down the 3Gen Eclipse was that they were going to bring over the AWD Lancer Evo to the U.S. to take the place of the former Turbo Eclipse.....which, of course, it did to some extent, and formed its own cult following. But Evos, of course, were significantly more expensive, and did not come in a turbo FWD variant like the 2Gen Eclipse GS-T.
Old 08-20-14, 10:23 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

It doesn't surprise me that Mitsubishi is doing so bad. I have no idea where the closest dealership is, what their newest cars look like besides that Evo, and I never see anything besides Eclipses and older Evos driving around. It's really sad because I loved their cars when I was a little kid in the 90's. They used to make such cool cars.
Old 08-26-14, 10:48 PM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

one day ill get a 3000gt vr4 and support mitsu

Originally Posted by Infra
I think the 3rd gen was their most successful in terms of wide appeal. I remember a lot of them in my high school parking lot.

The 4th gen turned it all.... weird.
i think im one of the few who actually like the 4th gen when done up
Old 08-27-14, 06:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kira X
It doesn't surprise me that Mitsubishi is doing so bad. I have no idea where the closest dealership is, what their newest cars look like besides that Evo, and I never see anything besides Eclipses and older Evos driving around. It's really sad because I loved their cars when I was a little kid in the 90's. They used to make such cool cars.
For dealerships, just go to Mitsubishi's web site/locator and type in your zip code (or city/state). All auto companies (and most businesses these days) have retail-outlet locators. Mitsubishi, though, has a relatively sparse network, so you might not find one close by.

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/dealer...Fa_m7Aod2HEABg
Old 08-27-14, 06:30 AM
nikko2jzge
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always thought that the Montero was nice and the Montero Sport was ok (back when they first came out). I had a 92 Diamante...pretty reliable car. I wonder why would someone buy a 2014 Mitsubishi. To be odd?
Old 08-27-14, 07:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For dealerships, just go to Mitsubishi's web site/locator and type in your zip code (or city/state). All auto companies (and most businesses these days) have retail-outlet locators. Mitsubishi, though, has a relatively sparse network, so you might not find one close by.

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/dealer...Fa_m7Aod2HEABg
We're all aware you can search for dealers on the website

The point is that I can name the closest Toyota dealer, Honda, Hyundai, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Ford, Chevy, Cadillac, Chrysler off the top of my head...but I can't think of the closest Mitsubishi dealer...thats part of the issue.
Old 08-27-14, 12:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
We're all aware you can search for dealers on the website

The point is that I can name the closest Toyota dealer, Honda, Hyundai, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Ford, Chevy, Cadillac, Chrysler off the top of my head...but I can't think of the closest Mitsubishi dealer...thats part of the issue.
Well......yes, that's part of the point I was making, too. But, if you don't know right off the bat where it is, how else are you going to find the closest Mitsu shop without the web-site locator? The traditional paper Yellow Page-area telephone books, unfortunately, have become unreliable and inaccurate in recent years....they often give outdated or incomplete information. And it sounds to me like the person above who posted the issue (Kira X) has enough interest in the latest line of American-market Mitsu products (small as it is) that he or she at least wants to go and check some out.
Old 08-27-14, 12:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nikko2jzge
I always thought that the Montero was nice and the Montero Sport was ok (back when they first came out). I had a 92 Diamante...pretty reliable car. I wonder why would someone buy a 2014 Mitsubishi. To be odd?
if you are asking why the person I spoke about in the first post (my friend in Carson City) may have been interested in one, until he found out tat the nearest shop was 74 miles away, he seemed to like the Outlander Sport's low price, overall size, shape, space efficiency, economy, all-weather/AWD availability, and exterior color-choice. I felt the interior was rather Spartan, and the road manners rather Ho-Hum (little more than base AWD transportation), but those are not important issues to him and his wife......70+ miles to the nearest dealership WAS.