Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura RLX Sport Hybrid delayed due to a technical issue - report

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-14, 02:42 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
is it at least equal to or better than the GS450h tho? it better be for those prices.
RLX can't match GS interior, attention to detail and cabin atmosphere, nor most of the interior technology. But on the other side it has much better, or should I say, more engaging hybrid drive system that drives hard and with too much confidence.

Would love to do a head to head.
Old 09-18-14, 03:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

It gets 1mpg less in the city and 2mpg highway compared to the GS450h, but it also has 40hp more. That's not that bad of a trade-off. Hard to believe the RLX is slightly larger than the GS on the outside.
Old 09-18-14, 03:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
It gets 1mpg less in the city and 2mpg highway compared to the GS450h, but it also has 40hp more. That's not that bad of a trade-off. Hard to believe the RLX is slightly larger than the GS on the outside.
196.1 (RLX) vs 190.9 (GS)
Old 09-18-14, 04:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

not sure how well integrated the system is, but I think the problem is the looks, not the engine... if people wanted to buy RLX, they would buy cheaper V6 version in much bigger numbers.
Old 09-18-14, 04:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
not sure how well integrated the system is, but I think the problem is the looks, not the engine... if people wanted to buy RLX, they would buy cheaper V6 version in much bigger numbers.
Exactly. Unless someone has driven it we're still in the dark in terms of how if functions. Point in case the GS450h might be down on hp vs the Q70 hybrid and Panamera hybrid, but it's system is by far the most refined. I'd be curious how well Acura's is implemented. Sure it's specs sound great but let's see how it drives.
Old 09-18-14, 05:13 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Basically, this.

Very few people are going to spend 60k on an Acura RLX hybrid. The RLX has never been much of a looker in any generation really, but this is something that can't be overlooked in this class. I saw an RLX the other day on the road and the one thing that stood out to me in a big way was those ridiculous looking "tailpipe" reflectors on the bumper. They are too big and they are positioned too close to the sides of the car and it makes the RLX look extremely awkward from the rear as a result. This is a design element that never should have been approved, but yet here we are.

Overall, the RLX just doesn't have road presence. I was trying to figure out what else gives that impression, but I just think overall the lines are too safe and stale. I think maybe Acura got scared with the reaction of the bold 4th generation TL styling and now they are desperately trying to play it safe so that they can be "accepted". But to be honest, it's better to be bold and ugly than safe and stale. Safe and stale sells Camrys and Civics, not 60k luxury cars. Go big or go home.
Old 09-19-14, 10:13 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
Basically, this.

Very few people are going to spend 60k on an Acura RLX hybrid. The RLX has never been much of a looker in any generation really, but this is something that can't be overlooked in this class. I saw an RLX the other day on the road and the one thing that stood out to me in a big way was those ridiculous looking "tailpipe" reflectors on the bumper. They are too big and they are positioned too close to the sides of the car and it makes the RLX look extremely awkward from the rear as a result. This is a design element that never should have been approved, but yet here we are.

Overall, the RLX just doesn't have road presence. I was trying to figure out what else gives that impression, but I just think overall the lines are too safe and stale. I think maybe Acura got scared with the reaction of the bold 4th generation TL styling and now they are desperately trying to play it safe so that they can be "accepted". But to be honest, it's better to be bold and ugly than safe and stale. Safe and stale sells Camrys and Civics, not 60k luxury cars. Go big or go home.
I agree the RLX is not much of a looker but there a very few cars in that class that are lookers. A Lexus GS without the F sport package is just as bland as a RLX if not more, new Infiniti M is bland, non AMG E class is extremely bland to downright ugly, A6 is bland but a little more interesting then most with a nicer shape, 5 series to me is bland, Genesis is bland. The only real lookers are the long in the tooth Jaguar XF and new Caddy CTS. The Jag and Caddy don't even sell well. Conservative, elegant, and bland sells in this segment but most has to do with the badge. RLX biggest problem is it is only fwd and only has 1 engine and is pricey, the rear styling could use some work especially with the tail lights but I don't see it as really any worse then its competitors.
Old 09-19-14, 10:26 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
I saw an RLX the other day on the road and the one thing that stood out to me in a big way was those ridiculous looking "tailpipe" reflectors on the bumper. They are too big and they are positioned too close to the sides of the car and it makes the RLX look extremely awkward from the rear as a result. This is a design element that never should have been approved, but yet here we are.
yep they should've just put the exhaust there.

Old 09-19-14, 02:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I agree the RLX is not much of a looker but there a very few cars in that class that are lookers. A Lexus GS without the F sport package is just as bland as a RLX if not more, new Infiniti M is bland, non AMG E class is extremely bland to downright ugly, A6 is bland but a little more interesting then most with a nicer shape, 5 series to me is bland, Genesis is bland. The only real lookers are the long in the tooth Jaguar XF and new Caddy CTS. The Jag and Caddy don't even sell well. Conservative, elegant, and bland sells in this segment but most has to do with the badge. RLX biggest problem is it is only fwd and only has 1 engine and is pricey, the rear styling could use some work especially with the tail lights but I don't see it as really any worse then its competitors.
Well, GS was certainly not bland when it got released :-). Facelift will probably make it more full size predator grille like rest of the vehicles.

But still, if people are not getting V6 thats cheaper, they wont be getting RLX hybrid either... it is like most people buying IS250 instead of IS350, despite IS350 being much much better vehicle due to the engine... and Acura V6 is not bad at all. People just dont like the car.
Old 09-26-14, 01:52 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Acura finally launches the RLX Sport Hybrid

Was delayed because of a mysterious "technical” issue

The Acura RLX Sport Hybrid was supposed to go on sale this spring but was delayed due to a mysterious "technical” issue. Acura has declined to elaborate but it appears the issue has been fixed as the company has finally launched the model.

Currently on sale, the RLX Sport Hybrid is being billed as the "most technologically advanced vehicle in Acura history" as it features a 3.5-liter V6 engine, a three-motor hybrid system and Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD). This setup enables the model to produce a combined maximum output of 377 bhp (281 kW) and 341 lb-ft (461 Nm) of torque.

The entry-level model costs $59,950 and features Jewel Eye LED headlights, a smoked chrome front grille and 19-inch alloy wheels with Michelin all-season tires. The car also has Milano leather seats, a heads-up display, a tri-zone automatic climate control system and GPS navigation. There's also a variety of safety systems including Lane Keeping Assist, Blind Spot Information and a Forward Collision Warning system.

Moving up to the $65,950 Advance variant adds heated / ventilated front seats, heated rear seats and a premium audio system. There's also Adaptive Cruise Control with Low-Speed Follow and a Collision Mitigation Braking System - among other things.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11409268...x-sport-hybrid
Old 11-13-14, 07:01 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default All-New Honda Legend Is Japan’s Acura RLX

Click here to view more photos

The fifth-generation Honda Legend has just been unveiled in Japan, but to our US-based readers there’s nothing “all-new” about it.

Going on sales at dealerships across Japan on January 22, 2015, the new Honda Legend is essentially a rebadged Acura RLX. Sold exclusively as a hybrid model, the Legend sources the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD powertrain from the RLX Hybrid, which means it pairs a 3.5-liter V6 gasoline engine with a 7-speed DCT transmission, a single front electric motor and twin rear motors.

The rear electric motors operate completely independent of the torque of the gasoline engine, with each offering a maximum output of 27 kW (36hp). The Honda Legend’s hybrid system features a combined output of 382PS (377hp) and automatically combines front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive with EV Drive, Hybrid Drive or Engine Drive to respond to driver inputs and driving conditions.

The Legend returns 16.8 km/L (39.5 mpg US or 5.9 l/100 km) according to the JC08 mode. That’s in part due to Honda’s VCM (Variable Cylinder Management), which allows the engine to idle three cylinders to save energy as needed.

The JDM Legend features the driver-assistive Honda Sensing system which includes the world’s first Pedestrian Collision Mitigation Steering System, designed to help prevent collisions with pedestrians.

Prices start from 6.8 million yen ($59,560) in Japan, including an 8 percent consumption tax.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/11/all...acura-rlx.html
Old 11-13-14, 01:52 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda Legend KC2

Old 11-13-14, 09:20 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, they didn't even bother to redesign the grille this time.