Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura RLX Sport Hybrid delayed due to a technical issue - report

Old 08-14-14, 08:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

They need to get this Performance Hybrid set-up working. The NSX is getting the hi-po version and Acura can't afford to mess this catalyst up
Old 08-14-14, 08:56 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
I always thought the RLX was more of a GS competitor?
It is, just has more rear legroom then its mid size competitors, it is similar to a 7 series rear legroom.
Old 08-14-14, 09:12 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
Look, the RLX is a flop. They should make the Sport hybrid a "limited edition" model only and sell whatever number they can at full MSRP (however long that takes) and be done with it. There is no justification to continue building more Sport Hybrids as they will not sell in any significant numbers.

I'm going to make a prediction here that the RLX gets discontinued by 2016/2017. It's failing that bad and there is nothing that can save it at this point. I've said this before and I'll say it again - Acura does not need 3 sedans in their lineup. All they need are 2 (1 based off the Civic and 1 based off the Accord). The TLX & ILX can sell in good numbers but they have to offer options. The ILX needs to come with SH-AWD and more powerful engine choices. They should offer hybrids on both the TLX & ILX using the current Accord hybrid technology. They should also offer a performance TLX-S & ILX-S models for enthusiasts.

Ultimately, they should just focus on (2) sedans and offer multiple higher priced options for both the TLX & ILX. For those few buyers who want a loaded TLX with all the bells and whistles, they can pay for it. But no one is paying for a loaded RLX right now and there is no financial case that can be made to continue on with this model for much longer. It's too expensive and the Acura brand cant support it.

At the end of the day, Acura should probably only offer (6) models:

2 SUVs - MDX & RDX

2 Sedans - TLX & ILX

2 coupes - NSX (which can be their flagship model) & they should bring back the RSX as their mainstream coupe.

They should focus on 6 core models that actually sell and make them great and competitive. Cuz as it stands right now, models like the ZDX & RLX just aren't working and half-$$ed efforts like the ILX as-is aren't fooling anyone.
If the RLX hybrid performs and gets good reviews I think it could be a moderate sales success, it will be the most advanced hybrid and would certainly make the RLX much more desirable then the fwd version with a big jump in hp and performance. They should give it a nice more aggressive styling update before they release it. Acura needs a sedan above the TLX and can't just do 2 sedans, I think they will change their strategy after a short run of the RLX with a different design and platform.
Old 08-14-14, 10:06 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Any speculation on what the technical issue is?
Old 08-15-14, 12:57 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Any speculation on what the technical issue is?
They are keeping it tight within corporate, not even dealers know where it stalled. Most definitely its the powertrain setup and something could be off in a long term. They rushed it and that's about it.

What's weird is the rumor that cars are apparently already on US soil waiting for the fix. So that could possibly explain the length of the delay. No matter what there is a big chance that some 2014MY will be sold in early winter of 2015. Hopefully they sort out 2015MY and make RLX lineup hybrid only since the price difference is really not that great compared to base model.
Old 08-15-14, 02:05 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

It could be related to the NSX fire. If that particular component in the NSX is shared with the RLX Hybrid, then they'll definitely take a look into it.
Old 08-15-14, 04:43 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I personally feel the RLX has potential, but it will need to meets certain criteria requirements.

1. Make the sport hybrid the default and only option, and price it where the base model is priced now.
2. Limit the package selections to 3: Base, Equipped, and Krell.

It doesn’t need to be best in segment; it needs to be a great value in the eyes of the average consumer.
Old 08-15-14, 06:45 AM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The issue is, they released the RLX in FWD only to begin with. They should have released it in SH-AWD ONLY just like how the previous generation RL was released.

And then comes the RLX Hybrid. It was supposed to be out at the same time as the gasser. No delays. They lost all opportunity.
Old 08-15-14, 09:30 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
im comparing flagship to flagship . Its pathetic that they dont even have a V8. Gas isn't that high
yep, pretty pathetic that even Kia and Hyundai have a RWD V8 and they are value luxury like acura
Old 08-16-14, 06:27 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My issue with the RLX is: FWD, bland and dated styling, and higher MSRP than the competition.
Old 09-18-14, 09:04 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Bumping this, as the RLX Sport Hybrid SW-AWD is officially on Acura's website, and the pricing is rather reasonable.

Hopefully the FWD Standard version just gets axed.
Old 09-18-14, 11:20 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

$60k starting for the technology package and $65k for the advance package isn't too bad. That's pretty much GS450h territory.
Old 09-18-14, 11:31 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
$60k starting for the technology package and $65k for the advance package isn't too bad. That's pretty much GS450h territory.
is it at least equal to or better than the GS450h tho? it better be for those prices.
Old 09-18-14, 01:30 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DaSyce
Hopefully the FWD Standard version just gets axed.
Lol, considering the numbers it sells in, nobody would notice.
Old 09-18-14, 02:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Waiting patiently for our Acura store to get one so I can sample this 370hp SH-AWD system

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura RLX Sport Hybrid delayed due to a technical issue - report