Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura RLX Sport Hybrid delayed due to a technical issue - report

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-14, 02:04 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Acura RLX Sport Hybrid delayed due to a technical issue - report

Problem could be fixed soon

The Acura RLX Sport Hybrid was supposed to go on sale this spring but Acura senior vice president Mike Accavitti has confirmed it has been delayed because a "technical” issue.

In an interview with Wards Auto, Accavitti declined to talk about the problem but said "... it just hasn’t met with our expectations yet." That's pretty vague but speculation suggested there are problems with everything from the SH-AWD system to the powertrain. The latter components are similar to the ones used in the Acura NSX prototype which burst into flames at the Nürburgring.

Despite the delay, Accavitti said the Acura RLX Sport Hybrid could arrive as early as next month.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11408147...echnical-issue
Old 08-14-14, 02:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

just saw a black one in the parking lot. As a previous owner of an LS460 all Im going to say is that thing is just bot even in the same league. Not even the same ball field.
Old 08-14-14, 02:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
just saw a black one in the parking lot. As a previous owner of an LS460 all Im going to say is that thing is just bot even in the same league. Not even the same ball field.
Have you driven one? No, it's not an LS, but it doesn't cost what an LS does, either. In refinement and luxury (and a smooth power train), it does deliver in line with what it costs...and then some. I would buy one, hands, down, over the Cadillac XTS or the Lincoln MKS.
Old 08-14-14, 02:28 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always thought the RLX was more of a GS competitor?
Old 08-14-14, 02:28 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

But it's not gunning for LS460.

Nevertheless still falls short of its intended competitors.
Old 08-14-14, 02:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
True. As I replied above, it doesn't cost what an LS does either, but delivers in line with its price.

Depends on what competitors you are referring to. I'd place it ahead of both the Cadillac XTS and the Lincoln MKS. However, as SW13GS pointed out in another thread, recent reviews of the XTS have mentioned a smoother ride than on unimpressive early models. Maybe (?) Cadillac has made some running changes to the chassis. He's going to take a second test-drive, and I may also.
Old 08-14-14, 04:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317

im comparing flagship to flagship . Its pathetic that they dont even have a V8. Gas isn't that high
Old 08-14-14, 05:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

As a previous owner of an LS460 all Im going to say is that thing is just bot even in the same league. Not even the same ball field.
yup, they don't compete. nice false strawman.

im comparing flagship to flagship . Its pathetic that they dont even have a V8. Gas isn't that high
lol @ the fascination on here with acura... (maybe cuz it's easy to beat up) since it is not a luxury brand. acura has NEVER had a v8 or major horsepower anything, and doesn't look like they'll have one any time soon, if ever.
Old 08-14-14, 05:13 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

But that's not entirely fair.

I'm sure the BMW/MB boys say the same when looking at LS600h vs S600 and 760 with their turbo V12's and say your exact statement, Pathetic that Lexus doesn't even have a V12, gas isn't that high.
Old 08-14-14, 05:40 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ BMW doesn't have a super car like the LFA
Old 08-14-14, 07:05 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Look, the RLX is a flop. They should make the Sport hybrid a "limited edition" model only and sell whatever number they can at full MSRP (however long that takes) and be done with it. There is no justification to continue building more Sport Hybrids as they will not sell in any significant numbers.

I'm going to make a prediction here that the RLX gets discontinued by 2016/2017. It's failing that bad and there is nothing that can save it at this point. I've said this before and I'll say it again - Acura does not need 3 sedans in their lineup. All they need are 2 (1 based off the Civic and 1 based off the Accord). The TLX & ILX can sell in good numbers but they have to offer options. The ILX needs to come with SH-AWD and more powerful engine choices. They should offer hybrids on both the TLX & ILX using the current Accord hybrid technology. They should also offer a performance TLX-S & ILX-S models for enthusiasts.

Ultimately, they should just focus on (2) sedans and offer multiple higher priced options for both the TLX & ILX. For those few buyers who want a loaded TLX with all the bells and whistles, they can pay for it. But no one is paying for a loaded RLX right now and there is no financial case that can be made to continue on with this model for much longer. It's too expensive and the Acura brand cant support it.

At the end of the day, Acura should probably only offer (6) models:

2 SUVs - MDX & RDX

2 Sedans - TLX & ILX

2 coupes - NSX (which can be their flagship model) & they should bring back the RSX as their mainstream coupe.

They should focus on 6 core models that actually sell and make them great and competitive. Cuz as it stands right now, models like the ZDX & RLX just aren't working and half-$$ed efforts like the ILX as-is aren't fooling anyone.

Last edited by Lex2InfiN; 08-14-14 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-14-14, 07:30 PM
LexFather

Technically the car was to be launched in winter 2013 as a 2014 model. They built the 2014 models but its almost 2015 so not sure what they will do. We are talking 200-300 cars anyway.

Again its ironic to go after this market which sells worse than the V-8 market.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

lol @ the fascination on here with acura... (maybe cuz it's easy to beat up) since it is not a luxury brand.
But its not just here, its everywhere. I mean the forum INifinti guy is beating the crap out of the car and the Q70 sold like 30 more units.

FYI, I8AMBR is a long standing Lexus owner, his opinion is fair and he does his fair share of TRUE contributions here.

Old 08-14-14, 08:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by gymratter
^ BMW doesn't have a super car like the LFA
as amazing as it is, neither does lexus now.
Old 08-14-14, 08:14 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexFather
But its not just here, its everywhere. I mean the forum INifinti guy is beating the crap out of the car and the Q70 sold like 30 more units.
More bait? That's ok, I know you still agree with the majority of my post
Having said that, the Q70 is built on a real RWD platform and has always outsold the RL/RLX, whether by 30 units or 300 units or more. There is no comparison between these two cars IMO. The RLX is the same as if Nissan souped up the Altima and called it the Q70. Absurd. The RLX cannot compete in this segment anymore.
Old 08-14-14, 08:17 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as amazing as it is, neither does lexus now.
just wait for another 30 yrs or so

Quick Reply: Acura RLX Sport Hybrid delayed due to a technical issue - report