Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which new model will debut at the 2014 LA Auto Show in November?
GS F
36.67%
TX
3.33%
RC variant (convertible or 4 door coupe)
23.33%
CT sedan
3.33%
5LS
10.00%
3SC
5.00%
3IS F
3.33%
4RX
13.33%
2LFA
0%
2CT
0%
4LX
0%
2HS
1.67%
Other
0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus LF-C2 Convertible Debuts (pg.20, post#290)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-14, 01:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
If they can find way for the car to lose some weight, then this car could still happen.
looks like you didnt read the article at all... it says that RC is heavy because it already has strengthening for convertible built in.
Old 11-22-14, 09:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

article may be wrong but lexus needs a not top of the line 3 row suv more than they need a cramped convertible.
Old 11-22-14, 09:29 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
article may be wrong but lexus needs a not top of the line 3 row suv more than they need a cramped convertible.
That may be but they better not mess with the 2 row RX and I mean not to try and squeeze in a kid size flip seat for a third row. I went thru that with the last gen Highlander-what a joke. There have been reports Lexus won't mess with the RX for the next gen but it sounds like they are in the mood to change their minds.

I'm waiting for a follow up to the Motor Trend report but nothing is out there yet that I can find.
Old 11-22-14, 10:24 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the GX and the LX are pretty similar vehicles. I know that the LX has much more off road prowess but the market is small for those kids of vehicles. It makes sense to axe the GX, and then make the RX a bit larger with a 3rd row.
Old 11-22-14, 12:35 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
from member cino

Bean counters seem to agree. It's pointless to make an overweight car more overweight.
The decision has nothing to do with the RC's weight.

It's all to do with the US dealer network wanting to prioritise development costs into fat SUVs that sell in the US market and boost their margins.
Old 11-22-14, 03:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
the GX and the LX are pretty similar vehicles. I know that the LX has much more off road prowess but the market is small for those kids of vehicles. It makes sense to axe the GX, and then make the RX a bit larger with a 3rd row.
we already know RX is 2 rows... this is why I hate these rumors, especially one that have so much wrong info in it.

Lexus did not trademark TX for nothing.
Old 11-22-14, 06:13 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

A few pictures from the LA Auto show...
Attached Thumbnails Lexus LF-C2 Convertible Debuts (pg.20, post#290)-rc-vert-concept.jpg   Lexus LF-C2 Convertible Debuts (pg.20, post#290)-rc-vert-concept1.jpg  
Old 11-23-14, 11:18 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
^^^^Oh damn! That RC F is hot

Love the Red Rock Canyon picture and exhaust set up

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Forgot it doesn't have a top.
Let's hope lexus is able to make it look like that.

As long as I won't be wearing white sunglasses and an overpriced t-shirt, then I won't have any problem with that comment
Nah, step out looking cool like this guy.... hehe....
Tommy Bahama shirt and rocking....Speedo's!(I'll probably be banned now)
Attached Thumbnails Lexus LF-C2 Convertible Debuts (pg.20, post#290)-unnamed-1-.jpg  
Old 11-23-14, 11:37 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
looks like finally a car of good proportion, unlike the is-c
What's wrong with the 350 IS/C? I think it's OK. Speaking of proportion is this new one longer, wider, taller or are you speaking of it's overall aesthetics?
Old 11-23-14, 11:46 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I think a big part of why Lexus' used the IS C midsection in the RC's platform was because the RC was planned to offer a convertible option all along.

The downside of this is a coupe that's unnecessarily about 250lbs too heavy, and most people will undoubtedly buy the coupe over the drop top anyway. Also sucks from a PR perspective where most of the media will be more interested in the coupe, it was produced first, and they've already tested it and found it to be unnecessarily overweight.

Bottom line: I think the RC and RC F are so overweight because the chassis was overengineered to support a convertible. I get it from a product planning point of view, but my sincere hope is that for the second generation RC, Lexus can figure this whole thing out and will have more time to produce a lighter chassis that is just as rigid.
All good points. Wonder what's keeping them from utilizing an all aluminum frame? Audi, Gm Acura and a host of others have done it.
Old 11-24-14, 10:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
What's wrong with the 350 IS/C? I think it's OK. Speaking of proportion is this new one longer, wider, taller or are you speaking of it's overall aesthetics?
imho? it looks very ugly. way too tall especially the rear end. the e93 (same era) was a far better execution.

Originally Posted by spwolf
prove a rumor wrong? Everything else in the article is wrong - RX/platform, poor GX sales and next gen being on LS.

The whole premise of the story is that dealers wanted 3 seat RX so Lexus cancelled RC convertible which makes no sense at all.
i am not saying the article is right or wrong, i am just saying bring solid proof. the gx was not selling well until the facelift, and do you know for sure already that the next premium size suv won't be based on the LS? proof? i am just saying that will be the solid way to shatter the rumor, otherwise it is just another rumor that can go either way (as much as i hope it's not true)
Old 12-18-14, 05:53 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Merge threads?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...auto-show.html
Old 12-18-14, 05:58 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default More Details on the Production Lexus LF-C2 Convertible

Automotive News has more details on the Lexus LF-C2 and its chances of reaching production:

Bracken says the LF-C2 was “purely a concept” and not slated for production. But according to a person familiar with Lexus’ planning, the brand is considering whether to produce a version of it to sell as the convertible RC — an affordable, sporty stablemate for its newest coupe — or to build a convertible version of the much more exclusive LF-LC concept it showed in 2012 at the Detroit auto show.

A convertible based on the LF-LC would be a halo car that elevates the brand, while the RC version would sell more vehicles. “The question is: Is the brand willing to support two convertibles?” the person said.
The uncertainty of two convertibles in the lineup makes more sense than the earlier rumor that Lexus had to decide between the RC convertible and a three-row crossover — this point is addressed in the Automotive News article:

Lexus dealers say they are eager for an entry in the growing three-row crossover segment, one that could compete with the BMW X5 and Audi Q7. Lexus said the decision over how to replace the IS convertible will not affect its plans for a three-row crossover.
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2014/12/0...2-convertible/
Old 12-18-14, 10:52 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Lexus dealers say they are eager for an entry in the growing three-row crossover segment, one that could compete with the BMW X5 and Audi Q7. Lexus said the decision over how to replace the IS convertible will not affect its plans for a three-row crossover.
well duh lol. They'll need both, Lexus is just playing coy.
Old 12-18-14, 01:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
well duh lol. They'll need both, Lexus is just playing coy.
obviously :-)

Quick Reply: Lexus LF-C2 Convertible Debuts (pg.20, post#290)