Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which new model will debut at the 2014 LA Auto Show in November?
GS F
36.67%
TX
3.33%
RC variant (convertible or 4 door coupe)
23.33%
CT sedan
3.33%
5LS
10.00%
3SC
5.00%
3IS F
3.33%
4RX
13.33%
2LFA
0%
2CT
0%
4LX
0%
2HS
1.67%
Other
0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus LF-C2 Convertible Debuts (pg.20, post#290)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-14, 08:39 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

^^^^^You guys did a great job! Clark is an awesome guy and Vossen rocked it all the way...keep up the great work!
Old 11-21-14, 09:16 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts
Thumbs up

^^^^Oh damn! That RC F is hot

Love the Red Rock Canyon picture and exhaust set up

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^I think that might be because this model doesn't have a roof

Still hopeful for the production version though!
Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Forgot it doesn't have a top.
Let's hope lexus is able to make it look like that.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it looks great for a show but if i saw that convertible (bright yellow, huge front grill) pull up at a gas station next to me, top down, white leather, i'd be thinking "what are you compensating for, buddy?"
As long as I won't be wearing white sunglasses and an overpriced t-shirt, then I won't have any problem with that comment
Old 11-21-14, 09:22 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus LF-C2 Convertible is DOA, 3-Row Crossover Coming Instead

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/1411_lexus...#ixzz3Jj00zTFK

Like the LF-C2 concept (aka the Lexus RC convertible)? Too bad, it’s DOA. Never going to happen. The plan to build a concept and then a real car was set in motion years ago, but now it will never see the light of day as a production vehicle. Some inside Lexus are furious over this decision because the RC was strengthened (made heavier than it had to be) to be a convertible -- and as it turns out, that was pointless. Why else would it use the center section from an IS Convertible?
In fact, under the original plan, the RC Convertible was set to be the next all-new car in Lexus’ lineup. As convertibles make up 1 percent of the total U.S. Market, though, the decision to not do a 3-row RX crossover and go with a convertible infuriated the dealers into some sort of angry revolt. Lexus dealers have been howling for a three-row crossover. Lexus had been considering stretching the next-generation RX (based on the Highlander) but decided against doing so. Apparently, that car’s wheelbase was never designed to be stretched. The dealers had been counting on a three-row RX showing up because the body-on-frame GX470 simply doesn’t sell. The Mercedes GL and the Audi Q7, on the other hand, do, as does the BMW X5 which can be had with a third row. The result of the revolt is that Lexus has just begun work on a three-row crossover based on the upcoming LS platform. As that’s a rear-wheel-drive platform, this will make the upcoming Lexus vehicle competitive with the likes of the aforementioned Mercedes GL and Audi Q7, as well as the Infiniti QX80. Since it’s a crossover (like the two mentioned), it will have superior packaging to vehicles like the Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator. Factor in economies of scale, and building the new three-row CUV off the platform intended for the LS and the LF-LC (probably to be renamed the SC) coupe will decrease costs for all three vehicles. No word on the name of the new big Lexus crossover, but if they straight killed off the current GX, applying its moniker to the new car would make sense. Expect not to see the new vehicle for at least three years, as a 2018 model. Yes, the dealers are already stocking up on Moet. In other Lexus news, the poorly guarded secret of the IS 200t (the IS with the 2.0-liter turbo engine from the NX 200t) will now be joined by the RC 200t. Expect to see both cars at an upcoming auto show near you.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/1411_lexus...#ixzz3JizeGPEv
Bean counters seem to agree. It's pointless to make an overweight car more overweight.
Old 11-21-14, 10:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Bean counters seem to agree. It's pointless to make an overweight car more overweight.
i don't expect it to be too much heavier when the rc is already based on a convertible platform

if the news is true, that's just very sad. finally a convertible in good proportion and they are not making it. and i have been asking for a rx third row, it would really suck if the platform doesn't allow it and they have to go through all the trouble for a large size suv / crossover.

a mess
Old 11-21-14, 10:36 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't expect it to be too much heavier when the rc is already based on a convertible platform

if the news is true, that's just very sad. finally a convertible in good proportion and they are not making it. and i have been asking for a rx third row, it would really suck if the platform doesn't allow it and they have to go through all the trouble for a large size suv / crossover.

a mess
If the news is true, let's hope the new SC which based on LS platform exceed the RC without costing much more.

If the new 3rd is based off LS platform as well, I welcome it. We have a truly luxury full size RWD based CUV.
Old 11-21-14, 10:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by cino
If the news is true, let's hope the new SC which based on LS platform exceed the RC without costing much more.

If the new 3rd is based off LS platform as well, I welcome it. We have a truly luxury full size RWD based CUV.
the SC (lf-lc) will cost significantly more, i expect it to touch the 100k mark. plus that's a coupe not convertible, so i don't think that car is anything like this concept

for sure lexus needs 3rd row crossover type badly. the gx and lx are very capable true suv but for most people (daily use) the 3rd row is not as desired. it would have been really good if they can make the rx to have 3rd row, especially considering that the highlander is doing just fine. if the article is right, this takes away quite some resources into making this new crossover. but of course, i don't mind the rwd part
Old 11-21-14, 11:19 AM
Trexus

Very curious if the RC vert is gonna be a hardtop(similar to IS C and 4 series vert) or softtop?

Old 11-21-14, 01:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

from member cino

Lexus LF-C2 Convertible is DOA, 3-Row Crossover Coming Instead

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/1411_lexus...#ixzz3Jj00zTFK

Like the LF-C2 concept (aka the Lexus RC convertible)? Too bad, it’s DOA. Never going to happen. The plan to build a concept and then a real car was set in motion years ago, but now it will never see the light of day as a production vehicle. Some inside Lexus are furious over this decision because the RC was strengthened (made heavier than it had to be) to be a convertible -- and as it turns out, that was pointless. Why else would it use the center section from an IS Convertible?
In fact, under the original plan, the RC Convertible was set to be the next all-new car in Lexus’ lineup. As convertibles make up 1 percent of the total U.S. Market, though, the decision to not do a 3-row RX crossover and go with a convertible infuriated the dealers into some sort of angry revolt. Lexus dealers have been howling for a three-row crossover. Lexus had been considering stretching the next-generation RX (based on the Highlander) but decided against doing so. Apparently, that car’s wheelbase was never designed to be stretched. The dealers had been counting on a three-row RX showing up because the body-on-frame GX470 simply doesn’t sell. The Mercedes GL and the Audi Q7, on the other hand, do, as does the BMW X5 which can be had with a third row. The result of the revolt is that Lexus has just begun work on a three-row crossover based on the upcoming LS platform. As that’s a rear-wheel-drive platform, this will make the upcoming Lexus vehicle competitive with the likes of the aforementioned Mercedes GL and Audi Q7, as well as the Infiniti QX80. Since it’s a crossover (like the two mentioned), it will have superior packaging to vehicles like the Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator. Factor in economies of scale, and building the new three-row CUV off the platform intended for the LS and the LF-LC (probably to be renamed the SC) coupe will decrease costs for all three vehicles. No word on the name of the new big Lexus crossover, but if they straight killed off the current GX, applying its moniker to the new car would make sense. Expect not to see the new vehicle for at least three years, as a 2018 model. Yes, the dealers are already stocking up on Moet. In other Lexus news, the poorly guarded secret of the IS 200t (the IS with the 2.0-liter turbo engine from the NX 200t) will now be joined by the RC 200t. Expect to see both cars at an upcoming auto show near you.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/1411_lexus...#ixzz3JizeGPEv
Old 11-21-14, 02:05 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

i think it looks great, i hope Lexus builds it!
Old 11-21-14, 02:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

from member cino

everything in that article seems like it was made up... from RC to GX to RX.

Cant believe anyone would think thats real.
Old 11-21-14, 06:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
everything in that article seems like it was made up... from RC to GX to RX.

Cant believe anyone would think thats real.
i think the best thing is for someone or you to bring actual proof that it's wrong. i will just say i put all my hope that it's wrong
Old 11-21-14, 06:44 PM
Trexus

Most likely it's inaccurate. Lexus would not spend the time and resources to bring the RC convertible concept out there then not bring it into production...doesn't make sense...don't believe everything your read and take it with a grain or salt...
Old 11-21-14, 06:50 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

If they can find way for the car to lose some weight, then this car could still happen.
Old 11-21-14, 09:04 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Don't believe the article, the LFC2 looks almost ready for production minus the futuristic interior touch lighting. It really is a shame that the stuff never comes out.
Old 11-22-14, 01:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

i think the best thing is for someone or you to bring actual proof that it's wrong. i will just say i put all my hope that it's wrong
prove a rumor wrong? Everything else in the article is wrong - RX/platform, poor GX sales and next gen being on LS.

The whole premise of the story is that dealers wanted 3 seat RX so Lexus cancelled RC convertible which makes no sense at all.

Quick Reply: Lexus LF-C2 Convertible Debuts (pg.20, post#290)