Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which new model will debut at the 2014 LA Auto Show in November?
GS F
36.67%
TX
3.33%
RC variant (convertible or 4 door coupe)
23.33%
CT sedan
3.33%
5LS
10.00%
3SC
5.00%
3IS F
3.33%
4RX
13.33%
2LFA
0%
2CT
0%
4LX
0%
2HS
1.67%
Other
0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus LF-C2 Convertible Debuts (pg.20, post#290)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-14, 10:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

extremely well done photoshop.

and looks good!!
Lexus CT good ??
Old 11-18-14, 11:01 AM
sunny416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

one of the 2 cars id love to own.
Old 11-18-14, 02:57 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus Flashes New Pics of RC Convertible Study

After previously flashing us a shot of the LF-C2 Concept's profile, Lexus has now unveiled a frontal and an interior photograph of what we all know to be a pre-production study of the RC Convertible.

From what we can tell, there's not a lot interest in Lexus' teasers with the official site having gathered less than 4,000 reader votes on which picture the company should release next.

Lexus will officially toss the wraps off the LF-C2 at the Los Angeles Auto Show on Wednesday afternoon, where we should learn more about the brand's plans for their BMW 4-Series Convertible rival.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/11/lex...ics-of-rc.html
Old 11-18-14, 03:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

This car is not for me, but bring it on. Helps send the IS C off, and adds depth to the RC line and Lexus stable
Old 11-19-14, 02:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

I think car looks amazing... hope to own it one day.

Profile shot is the best so far. Interior is obviously trying to concepty - it will end up looking 99% like RC.

Lexus LF-C2 Convertible Debuts (pg.20, post#290)-fpfxatk.png
Old 11-19-14, 07:47 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Love the headlight cluster, hope it stays that aggressive
Old 11-19-14, 10:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

looks like finally a car of good proportion, unlike the is-c
Old 11-19-14, 12:06 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a big part of why Lexus' used the IS C midsection in the RC's platform was because the RC was planned to offer a convertible option all along.

The downside of this is a coupe that's unnecessarily about 250lbs too heavy, and most people will undoubtedly buy the coupe over the drop top anyway. Also sucks from a PR perspective where most of the media will be more interested in the coupe, it was produced first, and they've already tested it and found it to be unnecessarily overweight.

Bottom line: I think the RC and RC F are so overweight because the chassis was overengineered to support a convertible. I get it from a product planning point of view, but my sincere hope is that for the second generation RC, Lexus can figure this whole thing out and will have more time to produce a lighter chassis that is just as rigid.
Old 11-19-14, 12:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I think a big part of why Lexus' used the IS C midsection in the RC's platform was because the RC was planned to offer a convertible option all along.

The downside of this is a coupe that's unnecessarily about 250lbs too heavy, and most people will undoubtedly buy the coupe over the drop top anyway. Also sucks from a PR perspective where most of the media will be more interested in the coupe, it was produced first, and they've already tested it and found it to be unnecessarily overweight.

Bottom line: I think the RC and RC F are so overweight because the chassis was overengineered to support a convertible. I get it from a product planning point of view, but my sincere hope is that for the second generation RC, Lexus can figure this whole thing out and will have more time to produce a lighter chassis that is just as rigid.
or create a chassis for IS that's good enough to be used by the RC as well. part of the problem is lexus decided that the IS chassis wasn't good enough for the RC, and doing a new one for RC alone is going to be very expensive (for the return), so they had to go with a chopped design and thus the resulting weight. the 3 and 4 are about the same weight iirc coz' they share the same chassis design i believe. same with the c.

i also heard rumors that a problem with the IS chassis is that the v8 again doesn't fit in the engine bay (again!!!). if that's true, it also help explain why the rcf front is from the gs.

hopefully in the next generation when lexus design the platform it can be more well thought out so the accounting and engineering departments are both happy
Old 11-19-14, 01:08 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
or create a chassis for IS that's good enough to be used by the RC as well. part of the problem is lexus decided that the IS chassis wasn't good enough for the RC, and doing a new one for RC alone is going to be very expensive (for the return), so they had to go with a chopped design and thus the resulting weight. the 3 and 4 are about the same weight iirc coz' they share the same chassis design i believe. same with the c.

i also heard rumors that a problem with the IS chassis is that the v8 again doesn't fit in the engine bay (again!!!). if that's true, it also help explain why the rcf front is from the gs.

hopefully in the next generation when lexus design the platform it can be more well thought out so the accounting and engineering departments are both happy
IS and GS share derivatives of the same chassis... I believe IS C chassis is a heavily reinforced derivative of the 2IS/GS platform itself.

Essentially, RC is really a mashup of different parts of the same platform. It would make sense that the IS platform itself doesn't support a V8, which is why the front architecture of the RC is from the GS (which we know can support a V8), and the rear section is from the IS.

To your point, there has to be a more efficient way to do this in the future. I expect that a possible next gen RC F would be a TT V6, so maybe it will more easily share components and platforms with the 4IS. I know we are looking far into the future here, but it's not hard to make logical assumptions
Old 11-19-14, 01:40 PM
Hoovey689

IS and GS share derivatives of the same chassis... I believe IS C chassis is a heavily reinforced derivative of the 2IS/GS platform itself.

Essentially, RC is really a mashup of different parts of the same platform. It would make sense that the IS platform itself doesn't support a V8, which is why the front architecture of the RC is from the GS (which we know can support a V8), and the rear section is from the IS.

To your point, there has to be a more efficient way to do this in the future. I expect that a possible next gen RC F would be a TT V6, so maybe it will more easily share components and platforms with the 4IS. I know we are looking far into the future here, but it's not hard to make logical assumptions
Yup RC is 1/3 GS, 1/3 IS and 1/3 IS C. Was at Running of the Bulls yesterday, and I got a moment alone with one of the trainers who more or less said it was in preparation of a convertible RC.

Talk of the 4IS already! love it
Old 11-19-14, 01:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

whenever you have platform sharing, you get more weight. However, let me point out that RC350 is only 150lbs heavier than IS350... thats not a lot more for coupes.

But next gen platform from Lexus will certainly be built to be lighter. Probably single platform for all of the RWD vehicles.
Old 11-19-14, 01:58 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by spwolf
whenever you have platform sharing, you get more weight. However, let me point out that RC350 is only 150lbs heavier than IS350... thats not a lot more for coupes.

But next gen platform from Lexus will certainly be built to be lighter. Probably single platform for all of the RWD vehicles.
That's what I think too. Something modular to satisfy an array of RWD/AWD coupes and sedans with varying powertrains
Old 11-19-14, 02:06 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Old 11-19-14, 02:15 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Replay the reveal here: http://www.lexus.com/concept/LFC2/in...concept-reveal

Full release and more pics (I am too lazy to link): http://lexusenthusiast.com/2014/11/1...s-information/

LF-C2 looks great, BTW.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 11-19-14 at 02:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus LF-C2 Convertible Debuts (pg.20, post#290)