Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which new model will debut at the 2014 LA Auto Show in November?
GS F
36.67%
TX
3.33%
RC variant (convertible or 4 door coupe)
23.33%
CT sedan
3.33%
5LS
10.00%
3SC
5.00%
3IS F
3.33%
4RX
13.33%
2LFA
0%
2CT
0%
4LX
0%
2HS
1.67%
Other
0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus LF-C2 Convertible Debuts (pg.20, post#290)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-14, 09:57 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Designer and engineer are two different careers. It doesn't matter what their desire is, using an overweight chopped chassis to house a high performance engine is lazy, especially when the car costs 70K.
you do realize that other luxury V8 coupes C63 AMG and RS5 weigh similar to the RCF, yet people dont fault them.
Old 11-06-14, 10:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
you do realize that other luxury V8 coupes C63 AMG and RS5 weigh similar to the RCF, yet people dont fault them.
i think my issue has to do with how lexus emphasize so much on their weight philosophy and then how people (pro or anti lexus) have skewed it

c63 and rs5 they are both couple of years old already, i think we are looking at improvements these days, and by that the rcf is a heavy car no matter what. people fault the 5 series as a heavy car the moment they said it's based on 7 series chassis and the weight numbers were out. i am not talking about performance, i am talking simple on the notion of weight itself.

on the other hand, lexus has focused so much on weight. lfa is pretty light everyone knows, and lexus pride themselves so much on the 4gs being quite light, and obviously lexus fans praise on that so much too.

with all that, and suddenly the rcf comes in this heavy on a chopped chassis because of cost (which i completely understand), i think it is not surprising on the criticism. fact is, with their knowledge, if lexus actually built a new coupe platform for the rcf, i think it will be quite a bit lighter
Old 11-06-14, 11:10 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i think my issue has to do with how lexus emphasize so much on their weight philosophy and then how people (pro or anti lexus) have skewed it

c63 and rs5 they are both couple of years old already, i think we are looking at improvements these days, and by that the rcf is a heavy car no matter what. people fault the 5 series as a heavy car the moment they said it's based on 7 series chassis and the weight numbers were out. i am not talking about performance, i am talking simple on the notion of weight itself.

on the other hand, lexus has focused so much on weight. lfa is pretty light everyone knows, and lexus pride themselves so much on the 4gs being quite light, and obviously lexus fans praise on that so much too.

with all that, and suddenly the rcf comes in this heavy on a chopped chassis because of cost (which i completely understand), i think it is not surprising on the criticism. fact is, with their knowledge, if lexus actually built a new coupe platform for the rcf, i think it will be quite a bit lighter
The 5-Series is heavier no doubt, but to be fair even a 535i light on it's feet when it comes to acceleration and the underrated 3.0 I6

I can def see a future lightweight modular platform
Old 11-06-14, 12:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The 5-Series is heavier no doubt, but to be fair even a 535i light on it's feet when it comes to acceleration and the underrated 3.0 I6

I can def see a future lightweight modular platform
i think bmw learned their lesson well, to me there is a reason why they worked so much on the weight of the new m3/4. lexus is doing well and i think once they take the cost out of the picture (somehow) they are on track.

mb is the one, i never feel like they bother much with weight
Old 11-06-14, 12:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Question is what is the improvement in daily life... is it more comfortable and does it drive better than regular IS?

In reality, RC350 is 3748lbs. IS350 is 3600lbs. Difference is not that big.
Old 11-06-14, 02:28 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

would be more expensive to have to develop a new chassis
Old 11-07-14, 12:13 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
You probably haven't read through the string? I'm not sure why you fault me when you haven't read through everything I've said?

I mentioned above the new C63 AMG Sedan weights 3,615 lbs and C63 S is at 3,648 lbs. You don't think coupe version can be 400lb over sedan, do you?

I did also mentioned that RS5 is a pig. It doesn't matter it has AWD.

Since this is a thread about RC-F, I only talk in detail about RC-F. I'm not against Toyota as a company. In fact I like Toyota best, but this car isn't something for an enthusiast like me.
Old 11-07-14, 12:26 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by obturator
Chopped chassis or not, a good chassis is a good chassis. The chassis has been praised, the weight, not so much. Was it lazy engineering? Maybe. Does it matter? Probably not.

You are panning a car even though you haven't driven it. If you are in to spec racing, then I can see your point. That's all for bragging rights as far as I'm concerned. To me, .3 sec in the MT hot lap comparison meant diddly squat. One can argue the difference was due to driver error. What I saw was that one car was more composed at the limits than the other when viewing the in-car cam. If fun equates to head bobbing around then have at it.
Define good chassis. I'm too young to drive a luxury boat, so a comfortable ride isn't priority, though I don't think M4 is any more uncomfortable compare to RC-F.

I admit, I've never driven the car, but having driven many cars since I was 12-13, from small roadster to full-size truck with some high performance cars in between, I don't think weight has anything to do with spec racing and it's always a big plus from performance stand point, which is where those cars stand. In fact, Lexus is the one should be called spec racer making more powerful engine, but disappointing with clumsy chassis.

You can accept RC-F as it is, but I personally think their best isn't good enough. They can try again with IS-F. If rumor about V6 TT IS-F is correct, I hope it finds in way into the new Supra with BMW CF reinforced chassis.
Old 11-07-14, 03:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Define good chassis. I'm too young to drive a luxury boat, so a comfortable ride isn't priority, though I don't think M4 is any more uncomfortable compare to RC-F.
well, once again, if we look at track results, RC-F with 400lbs more is easier to drive than M4 with carbon brakes ($13k more expensive) and gets really close numbers to it.

Its definitely not bad chassis.

And M4 has things removed to save weight compared to regular 4... for instance, there is no underhood insulation at all, it is completely removed while RC-F is completely covered. You will probably find a lot of these examples if we took the cars apart.

What you are doing is magazine/spec racing... it is not worth commenting on. Try both cars and tells us what you think.

If you are not interested into trying the car, then dont try to write about expecting everyone will agree with you.
Old 11-07-14, 05:23 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, once again, if we look at track results, RC-F with 400lbs more is easier to drive than M4 with carbon brakes ($13k more expensive) and gets really close numbers to it.

And M4 has things removed to save weight compared to regular 4... for instance, there is no underhood insulation at all, it is completely removed while RC-F is completely covered. You will probably find a lot of these examples if we took the cars apart.

What you are doing is magazine/spec racing... it is not worth commenting on. Try both cars and tells us what you think.

If you are not interested into trying the car, then dont try to write about expecting everyone will agree with you.
exactly this...we can probably say 25% or so will truly utilize these significant aspects of the car to their potential. majority of RCF, C63, M4, RS owners just enjoy having the best offering for that model, and will likely commute it as they would any other car they owned or purchased.

unless you plan to purchase this car and track it weekly, a lot of your points are pretty irrelevant IMO

just enjoy what was made and even if you feel it is a half-hearted attempt, the reviews are pointing otherwise, for the most part. the RC is going to be a hit, and the RC-F will follow-suit just as the IS-F did. plenty ridicule up front, only to be a successful offering since its release.
Old 11-07-14, 08:17 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf

I take it as you've not driven RC-F either, how do you know if RC-F is any better car to drive. Like I said, everyone has their own priority, being too easy to drive doesn't mean it's good. IMO RWD platform should be playful while being controllable.

I'm expressing opinion, not asking/convincing people to agree. Forums are made for debating if you don't like it, don't response. Don't go personal on someone because of a car.

Last edited by cino; 11-07-14 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-07-14, 08:29 AM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is some coverage from Revolution.com

All Access: SEMA 2014 Day One Coverage - The Modified Lifestyle | Revvolution

LFA Nurburgring

RC F & Mini-RC F

VPS 3101

Seafoam green

Old 11-07-14, 08:59 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I wonder what happened.

Media test drive in Japan cancelled do to lack of interest?

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...ck-of-interest
Old 11-07-14, 10:23 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
I wonder what happened.

Media test drive in Japan cancelled do to lack of interest?

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...ck-of-interest
if it was a micro vehicle with hello kitty the media would come out. They dont seem to care about fast cars much anymore
Old 11-07-14, 10:25 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

You probably haven't read through the string? I'm not sure why you fault me when you haven't read through everything I've said?

I mentioned above the new C63 AMG Sedan weights 3,615 lbs and C63 S is at 3,648 lbs. You don't think coupe version can be 400lb over sedan, do you?

I did also mentioned that RS5 is a pig. It doesn't matter it has AWD.

Since this is a thread about RC-F, I only talk in detail about RC-F. I'm not against Toyota as a company. In fact I like Toyota best, but this car isn't something for an enthusiast like me.
3963# for the old AMG
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...07-test-review

Even the new Mustang is over 3800#. This is the nature of V8 cars now. This 3600# number for the new V8 is based on euro spec. Remember when euro specs said the new M3 would be 3300#. Then it really weighed almost 3700#. The new V8 AMG isnt going to be ~3600# thats lighter than an IS350

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 11-07-14 at 10:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus LF-C2 Convertible Debuts (pg.20, post#290)