Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Kia Sorento

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 12:25 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Kia and Hyundai don't offer that 10/100 warranty for nothing. When you, as a company, commit yourself to stand behind something for 10 years, it means that it can, in most cases, walk the walk....not just talk the talk.
Exactly.

Prior to owning their RAV4, my parents had an '06 Sportage with the V6. They had it for 6 years and 70k miles and it never needed more than an oil change. These cars are not the same, unreliable vehicles they once were. I would not hesitate for one minute to own one.
Old 08-11-14, 12:28 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

don't get me wrong, i'd love to drive one if it's a company lease. but with my own money i wouldn't buy anything outside of Toyota or Honda for a non-luxruy brand.
Old 08-11-14, 12:28 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you put in just a little bit more thought, you'll understand that the 10 year 100k is not as meaningful as the 5 year 60k.

when parts breakdown, it's usually in the 5 year 60k mile wrap. Modern cars rarely have any transmission and engine issues that's covered under the 100k 10 year wrap.

the 100k 10 year is a barebones warranty. the engine, tranny and differential I believe. these parts usually last a very long time. It's everything else that can go wrong is what u need covered.

the 5 year 60k miles is very meaningful in that u can have almost double the bumper to bumper warranty period vs it's competitors.

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
correct me if i'm wrong but that 10yr/100k warranty is just for powertrains only, is it not? many other components can go wrong besides motor and tranny.
Old 08-11-14, 04:37 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's amazing just how much having dual chrome exhuast tips enhances the appearance of a car..
Old 08-11-14, 04:46 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not seeing the Volvo influence at all honestly. It doesn't look like an X5 to me, but it has a similarly blunt front nose.

Old 08-11-14, 05:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

tails are very face-lifted Q7... profile looks very bland.

Overall nice and much nicer than before... but I like Santa Fe better.
Old 08-11-14, 05:03 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I'm not seeing the Volvo influence at all honestly. It doesn't look like an X5 to me, but it has a similarly blunt front nose.
I see the XC60 in the headlight shape/projectors, and then some of the hood sculpting.

Old 08-11-14, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
the 100k 10 year is a barebones warranty. the engine, tranny and differential I believe. these parts usually last a very long time. It's everything else that can go wrong is what u need covered.
Engines/transmissions/differentials though, when they DO fail, are usually the most expensive things to repair on a car short of major accident damage. It's what you need covered the MOST.

the 5 year 60k miles is very meaningful in that u can have almost double the bumper to bumper warranty period vs it's competitors.
And that's exactly what Kia and Hyundai offer, besides the well-known 10/100 on the drivetrain.

One (possible) snag, though, on the 10/100 part of the warranty is that, though the web site doesn't give the details, it may not be transferable to a second owner outside of the immediate family. So, if you drove it a few years and gave or sold the car to your wife/husband, son or daughter, it would transfer. But if the car was sold or given to someone else, only the 5/60 part of it would transfer. That's the way it used to be with Hyundai/Kia warranty...and they still say "limited" on the web site but don't give the details.

Just why Hyundai and Kia did this is unclear. Maybe they figure that if the car stays in the same household a number of years, it is more likely to get the proper care and service it needs, and ultimately be more reliable and need fewer warranty repairs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-11-14 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-11-14, 06:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

imo, these reviews on newer Hyundai and Kia are meaningless. how many of those will still be on the road 5 years from now?
right on cue for someone to say this. today's hyundais and kias are nothing like those in the past. not my opinion, it's out there everywhere. i bet just about ALL of them will be on the road 5 years from now, easily.

don't get me wrong, i'd love to drive one if it's a company lease. but with my own money i wouldn't buy anything outside of Toyota or Honda for a non-luxruy brand.
your loyalty is exemplary. so you wouldn't buy mazda, ford, porsche, bmw, mercedes, audi, jag, etc., under any circumstances, huh?
Old 08-11-14, 09:12 PM
weezer
Rookie

I previously had many new Toyota vehicles, including a 07 GS350. My current car is a 2014 Kia Sorento SXL. Have a little over 42,000 trouble free miles so far, and I LOVE it. Could not be happier with the driving dynamics and quality. Needed some more soft touch materials, and could be a little bigger... other then that it is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned, almost Lexus quality. My GS350 edges it out slightly, but different class and over $10,000 difference. The 2016 or the next gen Volvo XC90 will be my next choice for ownership. I compare all of this to my recent 14' Ford Explorer Limited purchase(and return), and the Sorento beats it in just about every category, especially fit and finish / tech. I will not blindly follow kia, just like how Toyota lost us with some poor choices with the last Gen Camry(very cheap plastics, no luxury options to add, flat refrigerator white with no pearl options etc.). I feel Toyota has absolutely righted itself, but all that bean counting lost two lifetime customers. My mom has 12' Optima that is loaded as well with 22,000 miles and is going on 3 years now... also trouble free and excellent fit and finish. If you haven't checked out Kia lately, you will be pleasantly surprised. Ten years ago they were budget "throw away" cars, now I could not be a more proud owner, while still being a blast to drive! Looking forward to some more official info on the 16' Sorento. I am a little shocked they are using the new Sedona platform, and not the new LWB Santa Fe platform. Who knows... maybe they are the same platform, but I am pretty sure they are different.
Old 08-11-14, 09:14 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

I've yet to see an original design from Kia.
Old 08-11-14, 10:56 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

let's face it, kia and hyundai are better looking than toyota and nissan now.

not sure why everyone keeps bashing their designs, this is a chance for consumers to get really good european styling with the reliability of asian japanese cars. Is that such a bad thing ?

previously, you would need to sacrifice reliability in in order to own a nicely designed european car, but now one can actually own a true european styled car with the reliability of a japanese car. This is a win win for the consumers. Take advantage of it.
Old 08-12-14, 01:30 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

not sure why everyone keeps bashing their designs, this is a chance for consumers to get really good european styling with the reliability of asian japanese cars. Is that such a bad thing ?

previously, you would need to sacrifice reliability in in order to own a nicely designed european car, but now one can actually own a true european styled car with the reliability of a japanese car. This is a win win for the consumers. Take advantage of it.
Kia and Hyundai are both S. Korean brands.
Old 08-12-14, 01:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

well, Hyundai's have had problems lately, that led to them firing their R&D cheif... their Dependability ratings are way below average.

So what you are getting is European copy-cat styling with Euro reliability and lesser price than European luxury brands of course... although their overall pricing is now not that cheap anymore so quite likely Nissan will be cheaper and Toyota will be similar in price.

This is what led for Hyundai to be one of the few players that lost market share in the US in 2014.

Old 08-12-14, 01:51 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Very clean and modern design, if a bit bland and featureless. First thing I saw with the first pic is Dodge Durango. Very long, slab-sided, and pug-nosed. And if there's a such thing as pug-tailed, this and the Durango would also have it.
Also not happy about the lack of chrome tailpipes on many new cars/SUV's/hybrids. It's almost as if manufacturers think the consumer is going to think of emissions and soot if a tailpipe is highlighted and displayed. This all started with hybrids of course, so that's what leads me to think it's related to mpg psychology. (Either that or pure cost-cutting). Chromed rear reflectors are not a legit substitue. A car/truck needs some real genitalia back there.
Another nitpick: Rear LED taillights look like 4th of July banner decorations. Cheesy.
Curious as to what the dash looks like.
Overall, I like the clean look and where Kia and Hyundai have been headed lately. My only fear is future recalls that may pop up due to the same carelessness and lack of supplier detail their current cars are still going through. I'd say they are reliable, just not 100% baked.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 08-12-14 at 01:55 AM.

Quick Reply: 2016 Kia Sorento