Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Kia Sorento

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-14, 09:05 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
This car is =zzzzzzzzzzz and most Lexus owners nor German car owners etc will blink at it.
Not sure why you quoted me, I don't think I ever said that Lexus and German luxury owners would be temped by this.

They could grab some Acura/Volvo intenders, and some other luxury move up people with their top trims, usually labeled SX-L or SX Limited. I think it's all about slowly growing their presence and ability to create "mainstream-plus" vehicles.
Old 08-13-14, 09:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
This car is =zzzzzzzzzzz .
Yes, I'll admit it's a snoozer for sports-car enthusiasts, but that's not its mission. The attributes the Sorento does deliver on (good build quality, refinement, space efficiency, a smooth, quiet ride, warranty protection, it does so very well.
Old 08-13-14, 12:52 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if this starts around 23k msrp then it might be a good choice vs getting a used or new highlander.

depreciation is always a concern with kia though
Old 08-13-14, 08:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Isn't that problems of their own making, though? If one abuses his or her vehicle, that's not the manufacturer's fault.
Of course it is. But that's not going to be reflected in the JD Power surveys. They are going to rate their cars low even if they are the ones who caused half the problems through rough driving or mods.
Old 08-13-14, 10:58 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the earthquake/tsunami had anything to do with it. It did temporarily disrupt production for a while, but not the way the cars were designed. That was affected by other factors.
Though I'll add that the Japanese designs age much better and the materials used for the interior are usually of better quality.

People say that Hyundai has improved, but their latest products are somewhat downgraded in quality compared to their predecessors from about 2005-2010

Very plush.
Old 08-14-14, 05:43 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

^^^ disagree. Not only the interiors better, but the suspension components have been seeing far better durability.
Old 08-14-14, 10:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Exterior is nice, reminiscent of the ES330. The interior 'looks' fancy but the console, infotainment, climate and audio bezel plastics are not as fancy.
Old 08-14-14, 11:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3

People say that Hyundai has improved, but their latest products are somewhat downgraded in quality compared to their predecessors from about 2005-2010

Actually, I agree. The most solidly-built Hyundais, IMO, were done about 5-10 years ago. The latest Hyundais, IMO, are over-styled and seem to use less-robust materials. But they aren't bad cars by any means, and I can still recommend a number of them. Kias, on the other hand, seem to be improving with age.....they keep getting better and better.
Old 08-14-14, 11:44 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are u serious ? where do u get this stuff from?

Actually, I agree. The most solidly-built Hyundais, IMO, were done about 5-10 years ago. The latest Hyundais, IMO, are over-styled and seem to use less-robust materials. But they aren't bad cars by any means, and I can still recommend a number of them. Kias, on the other hand, seem to be improving with age.....they keep getting better and better.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-15-14 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-15-14, 04:35 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
are u serious ? where do u get this stuff from? ]
Wondering the same thing...
Old 08-15-14, 08:16 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Material quality may have gone down a few, but it's been on par with other manufacturers. Only recently have they reversed the trend a bit. (last gen Camry, Civic, Jetta come to mind). Their reliability has continued to improve, A close friend had the Tucson on lease for 3 years and recently went with the Elantra. The Tucson was very reliable, never a problem with it. Her Elantra is very impressive, I was surprised. Cross shopped the Kia Sorento and sportage (along with the santa fe). All pretty solid cars. This new Sorento looks very handsome inside and out. Resale value on Kia/Hyundai is also not far from Toyota and honda, so the desirability is there.
Old 08-15-14, 09:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

i believe material quality on just about all vehicles has gone down. primarily due to weight, but also cost control. cows are expensive too.
Old 08-15-14, 09:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

if this starts around 23k msrp then it might be a good choice vs getting a used or new highlander.
that seems pretty much a fantasy as the CURRENT sorento base is more than 23k msrp.
Old 08-15-14, 09:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i believe material quality on just about all vehicles has gone down. primarily due to weight, but also cost control. cows are expensive too.
On the expensive-cow issue, I don't think it's just an issue of the price of leather. The fake stuff may also be a concession to some of the animal-rights people. I have no problem with the fake stuff myself if it is done well. In fact, the lowly Lexus CT200h, which uses a fake leather called NuLuxe, has some of the best fake coverings's I've seen....especially for the price. It looks/feels excellent,and is IMO, hard to tell from the real stuff. Contrast that with the stuff that the Germans were using up to just very recently.
Old 08-15-14, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

are u serious ? where do u get this stuff from?
I observe for myself, and make up my own mind, thank you. I have reviewed many Kias and Hyundais.

I'm not saying that todays Hyundais and Kias are bad cars....they most definitely are not. In fact, they are still much better than the junk that both companies did in the 80s and 90s. They just have thinner lighter materials today, and, IMO, don't feel quite as solidly-assembled as several years ago. Their basic reliability, though, has remained decent.

If you still want to disagree, fine.

Quick Reply: 2016 Kia Sorento