Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Kia Sorento

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-14, 08:39 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
This is what led for Hyundai to be one of the few players that lost market share in the US in 2014.
The main reason Hyundai market share didn't gain in 2013 and slow in 2014 was due to nothing new product wise. They were in a lull after their pretty dramatic wave of new cars around 2011.

With the new Santa Fe's and now new Sonata, Hyundai is picking up steam again (the just had their best July sales month ever). Kia will likely have some similar results, but theirs tends to lag a bit as their models get introduced slightly after the Hyundai models.
Old 08-12-14, 10:36 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
right on cue for someone to say this. today's hyundais and kias are nothing like those in the past. not my opinion, it's out there everywhere. i bet just about ALL of them will be on the road 5 years from now, easily.

your loyalty is exemplary. so you wouldn't buy mazda, ford, porsche, bmw, mercedes, audi, jag, etc., under any circumstances, huh?
read my post carefully, i said for NON-luxury brand i would only consider Toyota or Honda, bmw, MB and audi are luxury brands
Old 08-12-14, 11:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
The main reason Hyundai market share didn't gain in 2013 and slow in 2014 was due to nothing new product wise. They were in a lull after their pretty dramatic wave of new cars around 2011.
Hyundai and Kia prices have also been steadily climbing in the last few years...especially on the entry-level models. Probably the most obvious example was last year, when Accent/Rio base prices climbed some $2000. That's a pretty high percentage, in just one year, for cars that formerly started around 12K. Today, base models of the Nissan Versa can actually undercut them.
Old 08-12-14, 05:59 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say Nissan cars on average costs less than Hyundai
Old 08-12-14, 06:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
I'd say Nissan cars on average costs less than Hyundai
Well, you're correct on one thing.......the top-level Nissan Maximas and Altimas usually don't cost as much as the top-level Hyundai/Kia Equus, K900, Genesis, or Cadenza.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-12-14 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-12-14, 07:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, you're correct on one thing.......the top-level Nissan Maximas and Altimas usually don't cost as much as the top-level Hyundai/Kia Equus, K900, Genesis, or Cadenza.
hardly surprising as maximas and altimas aren't even close as full featured, refined, or luxurious as equus, k900, genesis, and cadenza.
Old 08-12-14, 07:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, Hyundai's have had problems lately, that led to them firing their R&D cheif... their Dependability ratings are way below average.

So what you are getting is European copy-cat styling with Euro reliability and lesser price than European luxury brands of course... although their overall pricing is now not that cheap anymore so quite likely Nissan will be cheaper and Toyota will be similar in price.

This is what led for Hyundai to be one of the few players that lost market share in the US in 2014.

see your chart and raise.

Hyundai ranks highest among non-premium brands in the study. Hyundai is also the highest-ranked non-premium brand in the J.D. Power 2014 Initial Quality StudySM (IQS), marking the first time a nameplate has ranked highest among non-premium brands in both APEAL and IQS in the same year.

Old 08-12-14, 08:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Something doesn't make sense on the 2014 Dependablity chart. Why would Scions be that far below Toyotas on the list? Scions ARE Toyotas.
Old 08-12-14, 09:25 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Something doesn't make sense on the 2014 Dependablity chart. Why would Scions be that far below Toyotas on the list? Scions ARE Toyotas.
Off topic, but it's partially because Scion owners are much more particular about what they perceive as "issues" with their vehicles. It's often a person's first new car, they want it to be absolutely perfect. Expectations are extremely high, even for the low priced cars that Scions are.
Old 08-12-14, 10:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

^
The real answer to the Scion question all has to do with the AGE Scion buyers are. Scion buyers are kids, who are generally way more abusive, inexperiences, and reckless with their rides. Hence more problems reported. This is the case for most makes which draw in younger buyers with less discipline. Then you have brands like Buick who are on top, which is sometimes due to the older buyers not having all their faculties to report things like rattles and other problems. This is no joke. I've witnessed and interviewed hundreds people in the last 20 years and done my own studies and observations on this topic. AGE has absolutely everything to do with the rankings of these surveys.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 08-13-14 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-13-14, 12:37 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The results of the APEAL survey above come at no surprise.

Hyundai & Kia's generally have better designs than the Japanese today.

I've noticed a trend in that ever since the 2011 Japanese disaster the Japanese vehicles have been very lost with their overall aesthetical appearance, layout and design.

Last edited by yowps3; 08-13-14 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-13-14, 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
The results of the APEAL survey above come at no surprise.

Hyundai & Kia's generally have better designs than the Japanese today.

I've noticed a trend in that ever since the 2011 Japanese disaster the Japanese vehicles have been very lost with their overall aesthetically appearance, layout and design.
I don't think the earthquake/tsunami had anything to do with it. It did temporarily disrupt production for a while, but not the way the cars were designed. That was affected by other factors.
Old 08-13-14, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Off topic, but it's partially because Scion owners are much more particular about what they perceive as "issues" with their vehicles. It's often a person's first new car, they want it to be absolutely perfect. Expectations are extremely high, even for the low priced cars that Scions are.
I'm already aware of that part of it, at least in the past, but a lot of today's kids aren't that enthused with cars in general. Their whole world is wrapped up in their commnications-toys. Also, a surprising number of Scions are sold to older buyers for reasons which I mentioned in earlier posts.

But you're right...it's a little off-topic.
Old 08-13-14, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
^
The real answer to the Scion question all has to do with the AGE Scion buyers are. Scion buyers are kids, who are generally way more abusive, inexperiences, and wreckless with their rides. Hence more problems reported.
Isn't that problems of their own making, though? If one abuses his or her vehicle, that's not the manufacturer's fault.
Old 08-13-14, 06:45 AM
LexFather

With the new Santa Fe's and now new Sonata, Hyundai is picking up steam again (the just had their best July sales month ever). Kia will likely have some similar results, but theirs tends to lag a bit as their models get introduced slightly after the Hyundai models.

This car is =zzzzzzzzzzz and most Lexus owners nor German car owners etc will blink at it.

Quick Reply: 2016 Kia Sorento