Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Honda Accord v6 Touring vs 2014 GS350 Regarding Paint and materials.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 07:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Luxury items are usually not value driven.

Your comparison is kind of strange one.

You wouldn't compare Outback Steakhouse to Morton's would you? Just because they both serve steak and potatoes doesn't make them equal. Maybe for you Outback is good enough and you don't see the need for a $100 plate in that case the accord V6 will do however a luxury buyer will notice the differences and pay the premium for a better cut of meat/ better prep & better service...
True!
Luxury is not supposed to make financial sense. Luxury is not about value. The Accord is definitely going to have more bang for the buck than a GS. It's up to the buyer to decide whether the luxury is worth the premium.

Last edited by Joeb427; 08-11-14 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-11-14, 08:45 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I wouldn't even compare the Accord to a used 3rd gen GS. Build quality alone is enough for me to pay extra for the GS. If you don't care to keep the car long enough, I would get the Accord. At least you won't be paying so much for a car that you might not appreciate.
Old 08-11-14, 09:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

no way a honda accord is going to be as refined and quiet as a lexus gs.
Old 08-11-14, 10:40 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no way a honda accord is going to be as refined and quiet as a lexus gs.
LOL

Roadnoise up the wazoo !
Old 08-11-14, 10:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
LOL

Roadnoise up the wazoo !
Road noise has been a Honda problem for years, though more so in the entry-level models which have little or no insulation.
Old 08-11-14, 11:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

true... their acura division seems to be getting it though as the new mdx, rlx and tlx are all noted for tomb-like quietness.
Old 08-11-14, 11:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

true... their acura division seems to be getting it though as the new mdx, rlx and tlx are all noted for tomb-like quietness.
True, but that newfound Acura refinement was not shared by the ILX. On a test-drive, I found it rather noisy and firm-riding.

The RLX, refinement-wise, is a true luxury car, but some will probably still pan it for its FWD V6 layout.
Old 08-11-14, 11:17 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No 100% true, I spent a lot of time in my friends TSX and its quite a noisy car.
Old 08-11-14, 11:18 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, but that newfound Acura refinement was not shared by the ILX. On a test-drive, I found it rather noisy and firm-riding.

The RLX, refinement-wise, is a true luxury car, but some will probably still pan it for its FWD V6 layout.
My wife had a '13 MDX Advance that had terrible road noise (obviously it has been stated that the redesigned '14 MDX was much improved) then she got a new '14 4Runner Limited and it's surprisingly more quiet than the MDX was. Only if it drove as nice but that's another story. Anyways, when I was shopping for my GS F Sport I really wanted an A6 3.0T w/ Black Optic Pkg, then briefly looked at the 535 M Sport. In my opinion, the F Sport had the best bang for your buck. 306hp, the cheapest on my insurance, 19/29MPG and $59k while being as well equipped and superior build quality and reliability (which is good cause all 3 brands dealerships are 4 hours away). I leased mine, so on top of all of that the lease deals are the best with the GS since it has stellar residuals. I'm very happy with my GS But I would have chose the A6 if I had a bit more money and a closer dealership would have been a perk as well. Not that this has anything to do with an Accord.. Why are we comparing the two again?.. Lol some people...........
Old 08-11-14, 11:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sick21
My wife had a '13 MDX Advance that had terrible road noise (obviously it has been stated that the redesigned '14 MDX was much improved) then she got a new '14 4Runner Limited and it's surprisingly more quiet than the MDX was. Only if it drove as nice but that's another story.

You bring up a good point. Toyota/Lexus vehicles, in most (but not all) cases, are quieter than their Honda/Acura counterparts. But, also remember.......reviewing organizations test vehicles with electronic listening-devices to precisely measure the sound level in decibals and sones. In contrast, we here at Car Chat simply test-drive, on our own, using our sometimes-fallible human ears. Magazines like Car and Driver, Road & Track, and even Consumer Reports sometimes note a vehicle's apparant noise or quietness, then, when they actually hook up the listening-ears, find that the actual figures may suggest something else. To my own ears (not necessarily backed up by electronics), the quietest modern car I have driven was the Lexus LS460, and the noisiest was a top-down Mazda Miata.
Old 08-11-14, 01:51 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

No 100% true, I spent a lot of time in my friends TSX and its quite a noisy car.
He didn't mention anything about the TSX. The TLX on the other hand, has been noted for it's quietness. Some say they do not hear any wind noise until they've approached 100 mph. Lately, Acura seem to be less stingy about using proper insulation.
Old 08-11-14, 02:45 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
He didn't mention anything about the TSX. The TLX on the other hand, has been noted for it's quietness. Some say they do not hear any wind noise until they've approached 100 mph. Lately, Acura seem to be less stingy about using proper insulation.
Thats why I said not 100% true, meaning this isn't privy to all cars. And yes I know that the TSX has been discontinued but its still considered a newer car...
Old 08-11-14, 03:51 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats why I said not 100% true, meaning this isn't privy to all cars. And yes I know that the TSX has been discontinued but its still considered a newer car...
But his statement was regarding the new gen products, so his statement that Acura seems to be getting, is indeed 100% true.

The TSX is now a generation old having debuted for the 2009 model year, and is not "newer"
Old 08-11-14, 05:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
aaand i didn't say ilx. an obviously weak offering.

aaand i didn't say tsx either. another not luxurious weak offering.

Originally Posted by GSteg
thanks. maybe honda/acura have been trying to figure out how to do it without adding a lot of weight. apparently the new cars use sound-deadening foam sprayed inside pillars, beams, etc.

Originally Posted by pbm317
But his statement was regarding the new gen products, so his statement that Acura seems to be getting, is indeed 100% true.
thanks.
Old 08-11-14, 05:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

where's o.p. krava?

Quick Reply: 2014 Honda Accord v6 Touring vs 2014 GS350 Regarding Paint and materials.